The Student Room Group

Year 10 Mocks

Okay, im not sure if others schools are doing their mocks around now, but we are and im reallll stressed. I dont have a revision technique that works for me, i haven't done much revision and the revision i have done is js useless.
I need recommendations on how to revise these subjects:
French
Media Studies
Maths
Science
RE (my teacher is horrible and just talks abt her life so i really need help with this)
Any tips, exam support and criticsm for my lack of preparation will be accepted.

My mocks are in 20 days HELP!
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by preciousm12
Okay, im not sure if others schools are doing their mocks around now, but we are and im reallll stressed. I dont have a revision technique that works for me, i haven't done much revision and the revision i have done is js useless.
French
Media Studies
Maths
Science
RE (my teacher is horrible and just talks abt her life so i really need help with this)
Any tips, exam support and criticsm for my lack of preparation will be accepted.

Hi, I'm a third year maths student at Lancaster University and thought I could suggest some revision techniques that I use that might help you, especially with maths.
First of all it's a good idea to create a revision schedule, this will help you stay on track and cover all you want to. Make sure it's a realistic schedule though, you don't want to be doing too much revision at once because it can be hard to remember the stuff you've revised after revising for a long time. Also if you miss a bit of revision you were intending to do, don't worry about it, everyone needs a break sometimes and you can start revising the next day with a fresh mind. Here are some methods of revision I have used for Maths:
1) Doing past papers is one of the best methods of revision, it helps a lot with exam technique and also shows you the kind of questions you may be asked. Just skip over questions that you haven't learned the material for yet. To make this technique even better, it's worth doing these papers at the same time as your friends and then marking each others work. It can be very helpful to see other peoples methods of attempting questions.
2) If you are struggling with a particular topic, it's worth doing all the practice questions you can find. There's lots online if you run out.
3) In addition if you don't understand a topic, it's very worth going on youtube and searching it up. There are lots of brilliant videos explaining topics and maybe they'll describe it in a way you understand.
4) When I was doing GCSE Maths I really found the Corbett Maths flashcards helpful. It helped me sort topics into ones I knew and ones I needed to do a bit more work on.
5) Sometimes your teacher will run revision sessions, theses are really worth going to. If they don't run them, it could be worth creating your own study group.

Here's some advice for the other subjects that I did at GCSE:
French: Making flashcards of key words you need to remember is so helpful. I used to use quizlet but it was free then and now you have to pay for most of the features. I think there's a good alternative that's called Anki. It's also worth going over all your tenses and conjugations and making sure you know any irregular verbs. I also found using Duolingo helpful.
Science: Lots of the techniques mentioned for Maths above are really useful to revise for science. Definitely go over some past papers. The CGP revision guides are great help, if you have access to them it's worth using them with your friends to test each other. Also it's worth practicing some of the longer mark questions just so you get a feel for what they are like.

I hope that helps you, sorry I can't help with revision techniques for Media Studies and RE. Good luck with your mocks and let me know if you have any questions :smile:
- Penelope (Lancaster University Mathematics Student Ambassador)
French
Media Studies
Maths
Science

Here are my tips:
- Make a list of all the subjects ranked from easiest (you could wing the exam if you had to) to hardest (you would feel super unprepared doing the exam), make a start on the hardest one
- Then list all the topics you have to revise, and use your specifications for this
- If there's a topic or two that you don't understand watch video explanations on this (GCSE maths tutor, cognito and freesciencelessons are good)
- Then attempt practice questions (PMT and MME revise are great websites, as well as maths genie for maths)

Here's some tips specific to RE:
- I have bad teachers for the subject, so I can relate on feeling unprepared
- Use the specification points and turn them into questions, then write out the answers on a separate page (use past papers and mark schemes and examiner reports to do this)
- Big tip here: use a maximum of one A4 page for one topic, it's just so you can summarise each topic as best as you can so you don't get overwhelmed
- Also don't forget your quotes! You don't need to mention the exact verse and line, but remember to mention which source of authority and wisdom (SOWA) it came from

I hope that helps and good luck for your exams! Remember to look after yourself for the next few weeks and don't burn yourself out :smile:
French
Media Studies
Maths
Science

hey i can help u out for maths. so firstly look at this in a very strategic light. go thru ur old tests and exams. what are ur weakest topics? which topics KEEP coming up? now, do a few past papers (maybe like 3 not more than that) and check the same thing. the most recurring q patterns and ur weak areas. now these 2 things are what u need to focus on. to improve on these aspects, u can do end of chap qs from ur text and topic style qs on physics and math tutor.

now make sure u dont get burnt out in these 20 days cuz that would make mock season very icky. id recc doing a MAX of 7 hrs pls for the love of god dont go over that. try finding the time of day ur the most productive and try to study as efficiently as possible then

are u taking combined science on are they seperate? which board r u doing? im doing igcse edexcel so i can be more specific w/ it if ur doing the same :smile:
Reply 4
French
Media Studies
Maths
Science

Heya!
I understand your stress and the limited time you have for revision. Start by creating a study schedule that allocates time for each subject daily. Focus on understanding key concepts, practice past papers and use online resources! Remember, with only 20 days left, it's essential to create a realistic study schedule, prioritise the subjects that need more attention, and focus on quality rather than quantity. Take breaks, practice self-care, and stay positive. You still have time to make progress, so don't be too hard on yourself and make the most of the time you have left. If it helps, Study Mind has free resources that can help you out!

Good luck!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 5
Original post by j3ssica jon3s
hey i can help u out for maths. so firstly look at this in a very strategic light. go thru ur old tests and exams. what are ur weakest topics? which topics KEEP coming up? now, do a few past papers (maybe like 3 not more than that) and check the same thing. the most recurring q patterns and ur weak areas. now these 2 things are what u need to focus on. to improve on these aspects, u can do end of chap qs from ur text and topic style qs on physics and math tutor.

now make sure u dont get burnt out in these 20 days cuz that would make mock season very icky. id recc doing a MAX of 7 hrs pls for the love of god dont go over that. try finding the time of day ur the most productive and try to study as efficiently as possible then

are u taking combined science on are they seperate? which board r u doing? im doing igcse edexcel so i can be more specific w/ it if ur doing the same :smile:

Im doing combinded but also doing aqa :frown: Im very thankful for your advice so far, havent really thought about past papers and ive looked through a few and it seems really helpful
Thank You! :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you! those tips are great, i almost lost hope in RE
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Here are my tips:
- Make a list of all the subjects ranked from easiest (you could wing the exam if you had to) to hardest (you would feel super unprepared doing the exam), make a start on the hardest one
- Then list all the topics you have to revise, and use your specifications for this
- If there's a topic or two that you don't understand watch video explanations on this (GCSE maths tutor, cognito and freesciencelessons are good)
- Then attempt practice questions (PMT and MME revise are great websites, as well as maths genie for maths)

Here's some tips specific to RE:
- I have bad teachers for the subject, so I can relate on feeling unprepared
- Use the specification points and turn them into questions, then write out the answers on a separate page (use past papers and mark schemes and examiner reports to do this)
- Big tip here: use a maximum of one A4 page for one topic, it's just so you can summarise each topic as best as you can so you don't get overwhelmed
- Also don't forget your quotes! You don't need to mention the exact verse and line, but remember to mention which source of authority and wisdom (SOWA) it came from

I hope that helps and good luck for your exams! Remember to look after yourself for the next few weeks and don't burn yourself out :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi, I'm a third year maths student at Lancaster University and thought I could suggest some revision techniques that I use that might help you, especially with maths.
First of all it's a good idea to create a revision schedule, this will help you stay on track and cover all you want to. Make sure it's a realistic schedule though, you don't want to be doing too much revision at once because it can be hard to remember the stuff you've revised after revising for a long time. Also if you miss a bit of revision you were intending to do, don't worry about it, everyone needs a break sometimes and you can start revising the next day with a fresh mind. Here are some methods of revision I have used for Maths:
1) Doing past papers is one of the best methods of revision, it helps a lot with exam technique and also shows you the kind of questions you may be asked. Just skip over questions that you haven't learned the material for yet. To make this technique even better, it's worth doing these papers at the same time as your friends and then marking each others work. It can be very helpful to see other peoples methods of attempting questions.
2) If you are struggling with a particular topic, it's worth doing all the practice questions you can find. There's lots online if you run out.
3) In addition if you don't understand a topic, it's very worth going on youtube and searching it up. There are lots of brilliant videos explaining topics and maybe they'll describe it in a way you understand.
4) When I was doing GCSE Maths I really found the Corbett Maths flashcards helpful. It helped me sort topics into ones I knew and ones I needed to do a bit more work on.
5) Sometimes your teacher will run revision sessions, theses are really worth going to. If they don't run them, it could be worth creating your own study group.

Here's some advice for the other subjects that I did at GCSE:
French: Making flashcards of key words you need to remember is so helpful. I used to use quizlet but it was free then and now you have to pay for most of the features. I think there's a good alternative that's called Anki. It's also worth going over all your tenses and conjugations and making sure you know any irregular verbs. I also found using Duolingo helpful.
Science: Lots of the techniques mentioned for Maths above are really useful to revise for science. Definitely go over some past papers. The CGP revision guides are great help, if you have access to them it's worth using them with your friends to test each other. Also it's worth practicing some of the longer mark questions just so you get a feel for what they are like.

I hope that helps you, sorry I can't help with revision techniques for Media Studies and RE. Good luck with your mocks and let me know if you have any questions :smile:
- Penelope (Lancaster University Mathematics Student Ambassador)

Thank you so much!! I really needed these tips, youve been very helpful :biggrin:
French
Media Studies
Maths
Science

Maths and RE have been covered, and I didn't do Media Studies, so I won't cover those.

For science, I would start with a past paper to see where you're at. Next, use Cognito and Seneca (online revision websites) to cover the content, then apply it using previous Paper 3s and/or past paper questions from sites like PMT (Physics and Maths Tutor). You could also use your textbook questions and ask your teachers for more. After that, I would make flashcards for the most difficult topics and revise them frequently so that they stick.

With French, vocabulary and conjugations are essential. Do not wait any longer, because the vocabulary needs to stick. I would suggest going on Memrise and finding the vocab list for your exam board. (This course is what I'd recommend for AQA.) Then, I would start learning the words for the topics that you find most difficult. You only have 20 days, so I wouldn't learn everything, but the higher sections for topics that you would struggle to talk about are what I would recommend most.

For verb conjugations in different tenses, you can practise using Languages Online and any worksheets that your teachers may have provided. Additionally, past papers and noting repeated words will be useful.

Finally, don't worry too much if your mocks don't go as well as you hoped. They're mocks for a reason: your teachers don't want you to repeat the same mistakes in your real exam. However, if you maintain a good pace, sleep well and maximise the tips that you get from here, you should do very well, so I wish you all the best.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by SagaciousSag
Maths and RE have been covered, and I didn't do Media Studies, so I won't cover those.

For science, I would start with a past paper to see where you're at. Next, use Cognito and Seneca (online revision websites) to cover the content, then apply it using previous Paper 3s and/or past paper questions from sites like PMT (Physics and Maths Tutor). You could also use your textbook questions and ask your teachers for more. After that, I would make flashcards for the most difficult topics and revise them frequently so that they stick.

With French, vocabulary and conjugations are essential. Do not wait any longer, because the vocabulary needs to stick. I would suggest going on Memrise and finding the vocab list for your exam board. (This course is what I'd recommend for AQA.) Then, I would start learning the words for the topics that you find most difficult. You only have 20 days, so I wouldn't learn everything, but the higher sections for topics that you would struggle to talk about are what I would recommend most.

For verb conjugations in different tenses, you can practise using Languages Online and any worksheets that your teachers may have provided. Additionally, past papers and noting repeated words will be useful.

Finally, don't worry too much if your mocks don't go as well as you hoped. They're mocks for a reason: your teachers don't want you to repeat the same mistakes in your real exam. However, if you maintain a good pace, sleep well and maximise the tips that you get from here, you should do very well, so I wish you all the best.

omg! thank u!! i didnt know u could find that on memrise!! thank u so much, i'll make sure to follow ur advice :smile:
Thank you so much!! I really needed these tips, youve been very helpful :biggrin:

I'm glad I could help! I hope your mocks go well :smile:
-Penelope (Lancaster University Mathematics Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest