The Student Room Group

University choices

I haven't really used this platform before but I want other people on what I should go for as I'm not sure at all. Currently, I'm looking at unis doing cyber security/ computer science courses and I now have four offers. My offers are from:

Keele ( Computer science )
UNi of Nottingham ( Cyber-physical systems )
Lancaster ( Cyber security )
UEA ( Computer science )
(Maybe Warick not sure yet- Cyber security)

I'm not sure what uni to go for Keele is a backup and I don't really want to go there at all because its not as good as my other offers. Right now I can meet the conditional requests for all the unis it's just which one is best? Uni of Nottingham is a really good new uni full of life from what I have heard but Lancaster is smaller and a little quiet but is higher ranking-wise. I just don't know any help?
Hi there !

I'm a current second year Chemical Engineer at Lancaster University. I just wanted to give you some insight on life at Lancaster Uni .The university itself has an amazing campus which was one of the reasons that swayed my decision when I was applying .Everything is very convenient when on campus and as most first years tend to live on campus ,it's a great way to learn and start off the independent student life and it gives a strong sense of community as well .Another interesting thing about Lancaster Uni ,is that we are one of the few unis that have a collegiate system ,so as a fresher you pick a college where everything from your flat /room types, location of accommodation on campus ,the events you go to and the community that you will be in .Especially starting off in a new environment ,your college will be the place to meet your friends and flatmates and each college has their own special common room and bar spaces that can range from bars with amazing food and nice places to have games night in .

As for Lancaster itself, it is a town unlike big cities but I do feel it is a nice place as the lifestyle here is very suitable and catered towards student life ,so its not mixed with the hectic city life. There's much to do in Lancaster as there's really nice pubs ,cafes and restaurants .We have a cinema and even shopping centers not forgetting quite a few places to explore as Lancaster is very historic .As well as being located so near places like Blackpool and Lake District about a bus ride away and you can enjoy an amazing scenic view and a really nice day trio with friends. As I don't do cyber security ,unfortunately I won't be able to advise further but someone will definitely answer any queries for course specific questions .

Hope this helps!

Yamini
FST Lancaster Student Ambassador
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there !

I'm a current second year Chemical Engineer at Lancaster University. I just wanted to give you some insight on life at Lancaster Uni .The university itself has an amazing campus which was one of the reasons that swayed my decision when I was applying .Everything is very convenient when on campus and as most first years tend to live on campus ,it's a great way to learn and start off the independent student life and it gives a strong sense of community as well .Another interesting thing about Lancaster Uni ,is that we are one of the few unis that have a collegiate system ,so as a fresher you pick a college where everything from your flat /room types, location of accommodation on campus ,the events you go to and the community that you will be in .Especially starting off in a new environment ,your college will be the place to meet your friends and flatmates and each college has their own special common room and bar spaces that can range from bars with amazing food and nice places to have games night in .

As for Lancaster itself, it is a town unlike big cities but I do feel it is a nice place as the lifestyle here is very suitable and catered towards student life ,so its not mixed with the hectic city life. There's much to do in Lancaster as there's really nice pubs ,cafes and restaurants .We have a cinema and even shopping centers not forgetting quite a few places to explore as Lancaster is very historic .As well as being located so near places like Blackpool and Lake District about a bus ride away and you can enjoy an amazing scenic view and a really nice day trio with friends. As I don't do cyber security ,unfortunately I won't be able to advise further but someone will definitely answer any queries for course specific questions .

Hope this helps!

Yamini
FST Lancaster Student Ambassador

Thank you this is very helpful, I am going to an open day on the 11th of feb and looking forward to it.
Original post by Banana bread96
Thank you this is very helpful, I am going to an open day on the 11th of feb and looking forward to it.

Did you go warwick? WHat were your predicted grades and gcse grades when you applied?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending