The Student Room Group

University application choices

I’ve just received a talk from school about Uni choices and it made me worried about my own. They said that a good chunk of people in my school didn’t get any offers last year because they didn’t apply to any safeties and I’m worried that will be me.
However, I want to take economics and I’m mildly aware of the fact that a degree in economics from a random university may not bring me the career prospects I’m hoping for. I am currently considering the possibility of me not going to university at all if I don’t get into the universities I want as I’m hesitant to spend so much money on a degree that won’t help me get to where I want to be in life.
So should I apply for 5 top unis and hope for the best or is it worth allocating more of my applications to safer universities?
Original post by j0611
I’ve just received a talk from school about Uni choices and it made me worried about my own. They said that a good chunk of people in my school didn’t get any offers last year because they didn’t apply to any safeties and I’m worried that will be me.
However, I want to take economics and I’m mildly aware of the fact that a degree in economics from a random university may not bring me the career prospects I’m hoping for. I am currently considering the possibility of me not going to university at all if I don’t get into the universities I want as I’m hesitant to spend so much money on a degree that won’t help me get to where I want to be in life.
So should I apply for 5 top unis and hope for the best or is it worth allocating more of my applications to safer universities?
generally, it is recommended that you apply to uni with a rough outline like this:

1/2 that need higher grades than your predicteds

2/3 that match your predicteds

1 that is lower than your predicteds

this is what I have done and I have 5/5 offers from unis like kcl and bath
Original post by j0611

Consider applying in phases rather than submitting all 5 choices at once. For example, apply quite early for 1 choice just above your predictions, 1 on target and 1 safety. Hopefully you will get offers or rejections before the January deadline and you will then know what type your last 2 choices need to be.
Original post by j0611

This is a personal decision based on your personal appetite for risk.

If you applied to a safer choice and that was your only offer would you accept it? Would you attend if you got the grades you expect? Or would you take a gap year and reapply?

If taking a gap year is your backup plan and you wouldn’t want to go to a safer university then it’s a waste of a choice to use one for a university you don’t intend to accept under any circumstances.

No offers and a gap year might be painted as a disaster by your school/college but accepting and attending a course you don’t want to go to is much worse for a student.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by j0611
Economics is one of the hottest subjects at the moment and rejections are quite common.

Generally you will find that top universities in London, Oxbridge, Warwick, Durham and a couple in Scotland will have high rates of rejection. Whether it is worth applying to 5 risky choices only you can answer. Just because you take a gap year doesnt mean you will fare any better next year. How will you feel if you get 5 rejections. Would you prefer to go somewhere safer or take the risk of nothing. These are things only you can decide.

If you wish to reduce your risk it is sensible to only apply to 2 risky London universities and apply to a couple of provincial ones. If you apply to 1 or better 2 outside the ones mentioned you are likely to get offers as long as you meet the entry criteria.

Look at places like Bath, Exeter, York and Lancaster. All would be good safe choices if you are applying to 3 risky universities.
Original post by j0611
Hi,

I hope you are doing well.

UEL holds Open Events for prospective students. This would be a great opportunity for you to speak to current students, Academics and also have a campus tour. It can be booked online using the following link:
Undergraduate Open Days | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

You can also speak to Student Ambassadors studying your course. They can be reached using the following website:
Chat to our students | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

For further information, please feel free to contact Applicant Engagement via telephone on 0208 223 3333.

-Anisha
Original post by j0611
Hi,

I hope you are doing well.

UEL holds Open Events for prospective students. This would be a great opportunity for you to speak to current students, Academics and also have a campus tour. It can be booked online using the following link:
Undergraduate Open Days | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

You can also speak to Student Ambassadors studying your course. They can be reached using the following website:
Chat to our students | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

For further information, please feel free to contact Applicant Engagement via telephone on 0208 223 3333.

-Anisha
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending