The Student Room Group

Statistics/data science degree apprenticeship help !!!!! Omg omg!!! Lord help me

So basically I started my data science degree apprenticeship a couple months back, and I really want to level up my statistical knowledge (im in the first year of my course). Right now im working through the edexcel further maths texts books, but I really feel like this might be a waste of my time. For example, I just started Further Stats 1, but Im realising there will be a lot of prerequisite knowledge for Core Maths 1, and some from further pure 1. I was planning to do decision maths as well (so I was initially planning to complete the wider part of 4 textbooks during my first year). But now this has ramped up to 8 because of prerequisite knowledge.

I'd use the stats knowledge mainly for python, excel and other data science/analysis platforms. So far what ive learnt I've found incredibly useful, for example I was able to apply chi squared tests to a data science piece for a client, so i'm sure this is the route I'd like to go down.

What do you guys at uni use to study statistics/data science to an advanced level in your first year? How do you recommend I should approach becoming advanced at statistics (I already know my weaknesses etc)?

I feel like you guys might be studying a bunch of different textbooks, so please feel free to drop as many as you like below (practice questions are an absolute MUST, but if you know where I can find extensive practice questions in lieu of them do drop that as well pls). If you're wondering, my apprenticeship is basically teaching us to use multiple platforms like SQL, python and excel, and only some statistics such as regression models.

Thanks guys
Reply 1
Hi!

I'm trying to apply for the same degree apprenticeship like you and need some insider tips

I want some advise on the process of applying and getting the apprenticeship becos I've heard about things like assessment centres and interviews + exams (how to revise for them) :colondollar:
Could I know which firm your are currently workin' in
Also, thank you for posting as I can't find a data science apprentice who actually got it

Spoiler

*sorry for not answering your Qs
Original post by fekiji9
Hi!

I'm trying to apply for the same degree apprenticeship like you and need some insider tips

I want some advise on the process of applying and getting the apprenticeship becos I've heard about things like assessment centres and interviews + exams (how to revise for them) :colondollar:
Could I know which firm your are currently workin' in
Also, thank you for posting as I can't find a data science apprentice who actually got it

Spoiler

*sorry for not answering your Qs

I'm working at a small firm right now through multiverse. They have a long (but fairly straightforward) application process. First you need to set up you profile and sign up, and then they give you a few aptitude tests etc. (really easy) and then you need to set up your profile which is the longest part, it includes a video of yourself explaining why you're applying for the programme (a general video, but specific to your programme choice) and fill out all the qualifications, relevant work experience and all that and then you get to apply with whatever is listed on their site. From there, there's basically a handover of assessment from multiverse to the recruiter so the recruiter will invite you to an interview if they like your profile and small cover letter, which is 250 characters (or words) i believe, and its pretty much straightforward from there. I only attended one interview and I got in, so honestly just know your stuff. In my opinion knowing a whole load about the firm isnt needed, just the basics about their ethos and what they stand for. Make sure you speak up during group activities as I know a lot of people that didnt get in because they were quiet. Also let others speak.

There's honestly alot of advice i could give you but multiverse trains you up before the interview and you can ask questions to them as well so it should be fine. As with other methods of getting an apprenticeship, big firms like pwc, bloomberg and amazon have really difficult aptitude tests, so don't get disheartened if you don't pass their test
Reply 3
Ok Thx
Original post by fekiji9
Ok Thx

Man shut the hell up. I do all that and all i get is an ok thx go away man
Original post by lostmyshtn_vegas
Right now im working through the edexcel further maths texts books, but I really feel like this might be a waste of my time. For example, I just started Further Stats 1, but Im realising there will be a lot of prerequisite knowledge for Core Maths 1, and some from further pure 1. I was planning to do decision maths as well (so I was initially planning to complete the wider part of 4 textbooks during my first year). But now this has ramped up to 8 because of prerequisite knowledge.

This approach would still work as you planned for giving you a relatively quick overview of things, there isn't as much extra work as you think. There definitely isn't any prerequisite knowledge from further pure 1 or 2 since they're completely optional modules in the A level, so that already cuts you down to 6 textbooks. I also can't think of much in FS1/2 or D1/2 that builds directly on the further core content (they're mostly standalone techniques/algorithms, although there may be some integration or matrix work I'm forgetting about), so you'd probably only need to refer back for little things rather than studying the full books.

In terms of year 1 uni textbooks, I didn't use many but our recommended ones were:
Elementary Probability for Applications by Rick Durrett
Probability - An Introduction by Grimmett and Walsh
One Thousand Exercises in Probability by Grimmett and Stirzaker
Probability and statistics by example: Basic probability and statistics by Suhov and Kelbert
So basically I started my data science degree apprenticeship a couple months back, and I really want to level up my statistical knowledge (im in the first year of my course). Right now im working through the edexcel further maths texts books, but I really feel like this might be a waste of my time. For example, I just started Further Stats 1, but Im realising there will be a lot of prerequisite knowledge for Core Maths 1, and some from further pure 1. I was planning to do decision maths as well (so I was initially planning to complete the wider part of 4 textbooks during my first year). But now this has ramped up to 8 because of prerequisite knowledge.

I'd use the stats knowledge mainly for python, excel and other data science/analysis platforms. So far what ive learnt I've found incredibly useful, for example I was able to apply chi squared tests to a data science piece for a client, so i'm sure this is the route I'd like to go down.

What do you guys at uni use to study statistics/data science to an advanced level in your first year? How do you recommend I should approach becoming advanced at statistics (I already know my weaknesses etc)?

I feel like you guys might be studying a bunch of different textbooks, so please feel free to drop as many as you like below (practice questions are an absolute MUST, but if you know where I can find extensive practice questions in lieu of them do drop that as well pls). If you're wondering, my apprenticeship is basically teaching us to use multiple platforms like SQL, python and excel, and only some statistics such as regression models.

Thanks guys

It's so unfortunate that you feel things not working well but all things is passion and attitude as well as working smart. you will have to worry less sometimes you need to have educator in the same field to work with you despite the fact that you will be charged small fee and still discussion do work well. try all this and you will have so easy time in your course
Reply 7
Man shut the hell up. I do all that and all i get is an ok thx go away man

I am really sorry if that came across rudely - my intention was the direct opposite - what I meant to say is I really appreciate your advise thx u very much :smile:
Original post by Interea
This approach would still work as you planned for giving you a relatively quick overview of things, there isn't as much extra work as you think. There definitely isn't any prerequisite knowledge from further pure 1 or 2 since they're completely optional modules in the A level, so that already cuts you down to 6 textbooks. I also can't think of much in FS1/2 or D1/2 that builds directly on the further core content (they're mostly standalone techniques/algorithms, although there may be some integration or matrix work I'm forgetting about), so you'd probably only need to refer back for little things rather than studying the full books.

In terms of year 1 uni textbooks, I didn't use many but our recommended ones were:
Elementary Probability for Applications by Rick Durrett
Probability - An Introduction by Grimmett and Walsh
One Thousand Exercises in Probability by Grimmett and Stirzaker
Probability and statistics by example: Basic probability and statistics by Suhov and Kelbert

I'll probably look through the text books of stats and keep my eyes out for any prerequisite topics and go from there, and then move on to more advanced textbooks

thanks for the response!!!
Regression analysis by example is a decent book, I wanted to buy software regression tools and methods but never got around to it.

Quick Reply

Latest