The Student Room Group

Geography NEA regeneration

hi, I am working on a geography NEA project that has to do with the regeneration of a shopping centre, but I am having a rly hard time finding some quantitative data collection ideas. if anyone has any that would be rly helpful thx :smile:
Original post by purple_1710
hi, I am working on a geography NEA project that has to do with the regeneration of a shopping centre, but I am having a rly hard time finding some quantitative data collection ideas. if anyone has any that would be rly helpful thx :smile:

you could measure footfall/traffic for the whole centre, compare number of high end vs local stores, do statistical tests to see if there is a correlation between the type of store (food/clothes etc) and how many people visit, simpson's diversity index, RICEPOTS land use map but for inside the shopping centre etc. for qualitative or kinda quantitative too, doing surveys of shoppers is also really handy like for determining the demographics of people who come like teens/early 20-30s/over 30s/over 60s or also how far they travelled to get there by asking for first half of their postcodes and working out the distance, or how many times per week/month/year they visit, what the purpose of their visit is (work/leisure/meeting someone etc)
Reply 2
omg that's rly helpful thank u! :smile:

Original post by arch17
you could measure footfall/traffic for the whole centre, compare number of high end vs local stores, do statistical tests to see if there is a correlation between the type of store (food/clothes etc) and how many people visit, simpson's diversity index, RICEPOTS land use map but for inside the shopping centre etc. for qualitative or kinda quantitative too, doing surveys of shoppers is also really handy like for determining the demographics of people who come like teens/early 20-30s/over 30s/over 60s or also how far they travelled to get there by asking for first half of their postcodes and working out the distance, or how many times per week/month/year they visit, what the purpose of their visit is (work/leisure/meeting someone etc)
Original post by purple_1710
omg that's rly helpful thank u! :smile:

good luck! its better to have way too data than not enough you can always stick fieldwork in an appendix at the end. i also wanted to say you could compare demographic data in the surrounding areas from the census with your data to see if the centre attracts the same demographics as its surroundings or a wider variety

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending