The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Official University of Birmingham Offer Holders Thread 2023

Hello and welcome to the offer holder thread for the University of Birmingham! :woo: Congrats on making it here!

Feel free to chat, hang out, or discuss any doubts or queries you may have regarding being an offer holder.

Some general housekeeping rules:

1) No sharing of offsite social medias (like Instagram or Snapchat)
2) No spamming.
3) No bullying or harassment of any kind. Violators will be banned.

Please keep referring to this post as I will be updating it frequently.

Scroll to see replies

I’ll go first - Currently holding an offer for biomed! :biggrin:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Son has standard offer for maths MSci
Have an offer for Msci Biochemistry with placement. Not sure if I’ll firm or insure it yet, Have a space booked on offer day
Original post by Wolf52
Son has standard offer for maths MSci

Same ( I mean me not my son I don’t have a son haha )
Reply 5
Got an offer for Mechanical Engineering
Reply 6
Original post by Onyxlrr
Same ( I mean me not my son I don’t have a son haha )

Ooh excellent. Are you going to the offer holder day on 5 April?
Original post by Maddie57
Have an offer for Msci Biochemistry with placement. Not sure if I’ll firm or insure it yet, Have a space booked on offer day

I’ve got an offer for Msci Biomed and trying to make the same decision so I am also going to the offer holder day!
Original post by Wolf52
Ooh excellent. Are you going to the offer holder day on 5 April?

If I get rejected for medicine
Original post by maddyloveridge1
I’ve got an offer for Msci Biomed and trying to make the same decision so I am also going to the offer holder day!

I’d happily have Birm as my insurance but I’ve done an EPQ - 150hrs work - and they will only recognise it by lowering a grade if I firm them! I hate that. So maybe they’re off the table completely. Having to be tactical choosing a uni seems wrong but with differing terms to their offers there’s no choice but to be.
Where else you thinking of firming insuring? I’m defo Bath - they’ve made me the best offer for MSci and I like their modules.
I’d happily have Birm as my insurance but I’ve done an EPQ - 150hrs work - and they will only recognise it by lowering a grade if I firm them! I hate that. So maybe they’re off the table completely. Having to be tactical choosing a uni seems wrong but with differing terms to their offers there’s no choice but to be.
Where else you thinking of firming insuring? I’m defo Bath - they’ve made me the best offer for MSci and I like their modules.

That’s so frustrating, I feel your pain though because in wales we have to do something called the Welsh Bacc which is basically EPQ but four different types of projects. It’s a lot of work and is meant to be equivalent to one a level but two of my unis dont even take it into consideration and for bath it only lowers the grade offer by one…
For me my firm is between KCL, Birmingham and Bath. Haven’t visited Bath yet but i think it’s most likely my firm (if if get an offer), the modules are really good and the connections they have for a placement year would be really useful i think. Although I loved birmingham their offer is AAB and one of the grades can be welsh bacc, which really means i only need AB in my actual a-levels whereas for bath i need AAB + B in welsh bacc or AAA. It doesn’t really make sense to firm a lower offer, but if i don’t like bath when I go that’s what I will have to do… I loved KCL as well, guys campus was so amazing but I don’t know how I feel about london and being so far from home. It was my dream uni in yr 12 because of the modules but baths are really similar so I am starting to have second thoughts. It’s such a difficult decision to make! There’s so many things to take into consideration but tbh I just want to be happy wherever I end up. Oh well I still have lots of time to make my decision haha.

Sorry for the long post :smile:
That’s so frustrating, I feel your pain though because in wales we have to do something called the Welsh Bacc which is basically EPQ but four different types of projects. It’s a lot of work and is meant to be equivalent to one a level but two of my unis dont even take it into consideration and for bath it only lowers the grade offer by one…
For me my firm is between KCL, Birmingham and Bath. Haven’t visited Bath yet but i think it’s most likely my firm (if if get an offer), the modules are really good and the connections they have for a placement year would be really useful i think. Although I loved birmingham their offer is AAB and one of the grades can be welsh bacc, which really means i only need AB in my actual a-levels whereas for bath i need AAB + B in welsh bacc or AAA. It doesn’t really make sense to firm a lower offer, but if i don’t like bath when I go that’s what I will have to do… I loved KCL as well, guys campus was so amazing but I don’t know how I feel about london and being so far from home. It was my dream uni in yr 12 because of the modules but baths are really similar so I am starting to have second thoughts. It’s such a difficult decision to make! There’s so many things to take into consideration but tbh I just want to be happy wherever I end up. Oh well I still have lots of time to make my decision haha.

Sorry for the long post :smile:

I loved Bath and it will definitely be my firm, it just suited me. Smaller, pure stem uni, quieter city but still good train links to home, excellent sport etc. I think Warwick will be my insurance and it’s an actual insurance whether I firm or not and also they seem to give insurance candidates ability to stay on campus too. I loved the uni and the facilities and the modules are good - only thing was the hockey isn’t my standard so I may have to look for a nearby club but that’s not a deal breaker. I love London and visit regularly but never lived there so can’t comment on that. Sounds like if you like Bath then could be your firm and Birm or Kings your insurance, best to get through our next mocks and see what we can achieve. Yr 13 is hard enough without all this tactical thinking about who to insure or not as they may not recognise grades if not firmed!!!
I loved Bath and it will definitely be my firm, it just suited me. Smaller, pure stem uni, quieter city but still good train links to home, excellent sport etc. I think Warwick will be my insurance and it’s an actual insurance whether I firm or not and also they seem to give insurance candidates ability to stay on campus too. I loved the uni and the facilities and the modules are good - only thing was the hockey isn’t my standard so I may have to look for a nearby club but that’s not a deal breaker. I love London and visit regularly but never lived there so can’t comment on that. Sounds like if you like Bath then could be your firm and Birm or Kings your insurance, best to get through our next mocks and see what we can achieve. Yr 13 is hard enough without all this tactical thinking about who to insure or not as they may not recognise grades if not firmed!!!

that’s so true year 13 is so draining. thank you for all the advice!! i’m just anxiously waiting for bath to respond bc i really want to go to an offer holder day so i can make a more realistic decision of where to firm and insure. i wasn’t anxious like this for any of my other unis so it’s such a weird feeling. right now my thoughts are bath or kcl as firm and birmingham definitely as insurance (could be pushed up to firm tho).
that’s so true year 13 is so draining. thank you for all the advice!! i’m just anxiously waiting for bath to respond bc i really want to go to an offer holder day so i can make a more realistic decision of where to firm and insure. i wasn’t anxious like this for any of my other unis so it’s such a weird feeling. right now my thoughts are bath or kcl as firm and birmingham definitely as insurance (could be pushed up to firm tho).

I went along to offer holder day and tbh compared to the open day it wasn’t as good so don’t base your whole opinion on it. DM me if you want further info on the open day for Bath. I loved Birmingham so it’s a tough one not putting it as insurance, I’m not sure yet - going to the offer day in April as I couldn’t make the one earlier in the month. I know there’s a few waiting on Biomed for Bath so no news is good news. Still in the running :wink:
I went along to offer holder day and tbh compared to the open day it wasn’t as good so don’t base your whole opinion on it. DM me if you want further info on the open day for Bath. I loved Birmingham so it’s a tough one not putting it as insurance, I’m not sure yet - going to the offer day in April as I couldn’t make the one earlier in the month. I know there’s a few waiting on Biomed for Bath so no news is good news. Still in the running :wink:

I am going in april too!

When’s the April offer day? Also I’m still waiting on biomed from Bath too :redface:
Original post by sleep_supremacy
When’s the April offer day? Also I’m still waiting on biomed from Bath too :redface:

Biochemistry is Weds April 5 which is our Easter term hols - maybe one but that date suits me. Seems a few if you still waiting on Bath not too long I hope
Biochemistry is Weds April 5 which is our Easter term hols - maybe one but that date suits me. Seems a few if you still waiting on Bath not too long I hope

Any idea on when the biomed offer holder day is? And yeah, a couple of us are still waiting on Bath for offers :redface: My application must be really far down the pile for it to be taking this long :lol:
Any idea on when the biomed offer holder day is? And yeah, a couple of us are still waiting on Bath for offers :redface: My application must be really far down the pile for it to be taking this long :lol:

No sorry not sure when Biomed day for Birmingham is. A friend of mine went to the offer day at Birmingham for Biochemistry and said it was just biochemistry and biological applicants there. Yours is a different dept say maybe held on a different day. Maybe contact admissions and see if they can tell you.

i chose the birmingham biomed offer holder day on the 5th of april, there was lots of other dates though. you should have had an email seen as you already have an offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending