The Student Room Group

I am a failed artist

It's hell I can't draw I want to use paint but my mum won't let me. I have ideas but it just won't happen. I feel nothing. I am depressed. My family hates me. The love off my life walked out on me. Art scares me.
Original post by LionArt
It's hell I can't draw I want to use paint but my mum won't let me. I have ideas but it just won't happen. I feel nothing. I am depressed. My family hates me. The love off my life walked out on me. Art scares me.

There's quite a lot to unpack here.

Are you currently an artist - i.e. working professionally as an artist? If not, then you're neither a successful nor a failed artist. You are an aspiring artist.

Look through some art history books and you will find that struggle and anguish pretty much come with the territory, unfortunately. You are not alone.

You say "I can't draw". Can you paint? I know you say your mum won't let you (presumably due to concerns over the potential for mess), but can you paint at school / college? Is it a skill you have?

Is it possible that the reason you "have ideas but it just won't happen" is because of what else is going on in your life (including the breakup of your relationship)?

Why does art scare you?
Reply 2
I feel as though my life is going out of hand I try every day to be successful and I suck at it. Life is terrifying. We are people and I just can't handle it.
Original post by LionArt
It gets better, you will be OK.

Quick Reply

Latest