The Student Room Group

A Level Media Studies Study Group 2022-2023

Welcome to the A-level Media Studies Study Group!

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your A-level exams this summer.

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for!

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on?

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications:

Course: AQA A Level Media Studies 7572

Course: OCR A Level Media Studies H409

Course: WJEC A Level Media Studies

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :smile:
Keeping this space for a list of resources or study tools that are recommended in this thread:
Reply 2
Does anyone know how I would go about answering the magazine question in 3B? My magazines are Vogue, Men'sHealth and Pride. I'm freaking out because I feel like I don't know how to plan for the essay.
Original post by rarabing1
Does anyone know how I would go about answering the magazine question in 3B? My magazines are Vogue, Men'sHealth and Pride. I'm freaking out because I feel like I don't know how to plan for the essay.
hey what is the exact question??
Original post by Pwca
This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your A-level exams this summer.
Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for!
Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule
Specifications:
Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :smile:

Hi does anyone know how to answer a 30 marker ocr a level media question for paper 2. Specific towards D83 and ST. I am struggling a lot and don't know how to go by and answer it I have attempted to try answer this question but don't know if I am going in the right direction or not. Could someone please help and tell me what to do and talk about.

Here is my attempt on this qestion
‘Long form television dramas lack originality; no matter which country they are made in, they all use intertextuality in theame way.’ How far do you agree with this statement?
In your answer you must: consider the contexts in which long form television dramas are produced and consumed explain how media contexts may have influenced the use of intertextuality in the set episodes
of the two long form television dramas you have studied refer to relevant academic ideas and arguments make judgements and reach conclusions about reasons for similarities or differences in the
use of intertextuality between the two episodes.
Media corporations main aims are to produce a successful high viewing show which viewers are actively interested in and participating in. This means they produce a show that would be targeted to a wide range of people which would be interesting and entertaining. Both ST and D83 utilise intertextuality to act as the foundation of each show creating a remake of a 1980 atmosphere and texts of those times would have influenced it. In my response I will include why media corporations use intertextuality, and how political, economic, historic and cultural contexts have influenced the use of intertextuality.
Many media corporations such as Netflix (Anna wringer as well) incorporate methods of ensuring that the show targets and attracts a range of people. One way they do this is by following repetitive strands of codes and conventions such as having multiple genre narratives . Following Steve Neale genre theory including differences and repetition the more and the reusing of genres help the show to appeal to a wider audience.
"Stranger Things" (ST), intertextuality plays a central role in creating a nostalgic homage to the 1980s, drawing heavily from the works of filmmaker Steven Spielberg and the era's popular culture. The show's blend of genres, including science fiction, horror, and coming-of-age drama, mirrors Neale's concept of genre hybridity. By weaving together elements reminiscent of Spielberg's iconic films like "E.T." and "The Goonies," ST constructs a narrative that resonates with audiences across generations. This use of intertextuality not only evokes a sense of nostalgia but also serves as a narrative shorthand, allowing the show to establish its setting and tone effectively. (The structure of ST is similar to the Goonies and ET. There is a strong supernatural force in a small town in America a group of boys try to find their missing friend Will that has been abducted and in the way they run into a supernatural person who contains supernatural powers (Eleven) )
In D83 intertextuality reflects the time period. The intertextuality is used to highlight the social contradictions between east and west Germany which relates the time of the Cold war. Within the show we are shown the social anxieties of the east and how it has influenced their actions (Making Martin acting as a spy) However D83 has given us a different perspective with a stronger representation of east germans ideologies. This different POV can be seen as original as it has used intertextuality differently to other media texts of that time. Both of the texts' intertextuality can be applied and analysed using Hesmondhalgh theory. This theory is useful in understanding how media conglomerates help reduce risk of (financial) failure when producing shows and they do it by repeating and sticking to successful formats to minimise risk. This is shown through the multiple genres in each show to brodens the shows appeal and also including popular film references in ST to get people interested in. In this way i agree with this statement on some level as media corporations will use intertextuality to represent
Reply 5
Original post by Pwca
Specifications:
Hello, i noticed for your exam boards you havent mentioned eduqas.

anyone reading this if you do the eduqas exam board for media please replyy. Lowkey struggling with media a tad bit on certain topics like newspapers,the theories or i may be overthinking it.

even if you dont do the exam board eduqas i would love some advice thank youuu!
Reply 6
Hello.

If anyone else does the Cambridge, I'd really appreciate any help/advice/resources, I'm really quite lost and the exam is 2 weeks away and we've only just started learning about Section Two of the paper (Industry)

I'd appreciate any help for the industry section even if it isn't CIE.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending