The Student Room Group

Feeling a little lost...

I feel that I have sold myself short, I am an international student with good grades and a good portfolio and as happy as I am that I got into (basically) all my schools I feel that I was waaaayyyyy to precocious and made the mistake of not applying to UCL or Bath. Is there any way to apply now or am I too late?

Here are the schools I got into:
Edinburgh (Accepted)
Manchester (Accepted)
Sheffield (Accepted)
Cardiff (waiting)
Plymouth (Backup) (Accepted)

Also If anyone has any advice on which schools to choose based on reputation, prestige and location it would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Actually there is technically a way, but its risky so only do it if you're really really unhappy with your choices. UCAS has a thing called UCAS extra, in which you can decline all your current offers and reapply for one more place the deadline I think is July, and you'd enter the same year. Of course, this involves turning down all your current offers, and theres no going back; and theres no guarantee they'd give you a place. So be very VERY careful, especially given that you've got some very good offers (Manchester and Edinburgh are ranked among the highest in the world, they have a very strong rep).
Of course, its not all about reputation and prestige, go where you're happy. I'm currently at Edinburgh, which is ranked 20th in the world or something, but it doesn't really feel like that in all honestly. Rankings are often based on research quality etc, not necessarily undergraduate teaching. Edinburgh's a bloody cool city though, but I personally would have been happier at a campus i think.
Similarly, UCL has a great reputation, but I know some people feel isolated there, it being in a huge city and all. But some love it, because they get to be in London.
If you are thinking about prestige and reputation, its interesting that you're regretting Bath? Its a pretty good uni, for sure, but I'd put it on par with Sheffield and maybe Edinburgh? Its a beautiful city though, on the small side but that can be nice.

Alternatively, you could ring up the unis/ heads of departments themselves and see what they say; I did that with Edinburgh in August after I had turned down their offer and wanted to go back- I was very lucky they let me, thats a little unorthodox.
You could also see what come out in clearing. UCL might not have any offers there, but Bath might.

That being said; please don't hold any of my advice with too much weight. It allll depends on what you want, what you're looking for etc. What I will say is that league tables aren't everything, and being happy is way more important than going to a slightly more reputable uni. All your choices are very good as it is, but if there's a uni you feel resonates with you and that you love, consider calling them directly and making your case. Only do UCAS Extra if your really really desperate, its a bit of a hail mary, and it could screw everything up and leave you with no offers.
Best of luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending