The Student Room Group

Lw203 Forum

LW203 2023: Torts Law I
Topic 2: Trespass to Person - Intentional Torts
In June 2021, Amber and Johnny were married after only a month of dating. After their wedding, Amber moved into Johnny's home in Hollywood, Pacifica Bay. The couple's relationship was tumultuous and they constantly argued. By March 2022, Amber and Johnny were no longer living together and told their friends that they had decided to "take a break" from each other.
On 7 April 2022 at 11:30 AM, Amber received divorce papers from Johnny. This surprised her because she thought they were going to reconcile. She drove to Johnny's house with the intention of confronting him. When she arrived, she noticed a car parked in the driveway, which belonged to her best friend, Mera, but thought nothing of it. Since Amber still had a key to Johnny's house, she entered the house without knocking and headed to Johnny's bedroom. As she approached the bedroom, she heard a woman giggling. Amber barged into the bedroom to find Johnny and Mera intertwined.
"WHAT IS THIS?! YOU DIRTY SLUT!" screamed Amber, as she lunged towards Mera.
Johnny quickly intervened and managed to restrain Amber. This allowed Mera to dodge Amber's flailing arms. Enraged, Amber scrambled out of Johnny's grip and flung her car keys at him. Instead, the car keys missed Johnny and struck Mera on the back of her head, as she rushed out of the room.
A terrible fight ensued over the divorce papers and Johnny's new relationship with Mera. The fight lasted well into the early hours of the morning. "Mera did nothing wrong, Amber! We've been in love ever since we met at our wedding! If you want to hit someone, hit me! Go on! Hit me!" yelled Johnny. Amber, overwhelmed with the events of the day, stormed out of the house and into her car. Johnny followed her into the driveway and continued to provoke Amber to hit him. As Amber got into her car and locked the door, Johnny ran to the back of her car and blocked it with his body. "Johnny, get out of the way or I will run you over with my car!", yelled Amber. "You're not going anywhere!" yelled Johnny, as he pounded on the trunk of Amber's car. "Get out of the damn car and face me, you vexatious woman!" Feeling trapped, Amber turned her car on, revved the engine and reversed. Johnny quickly dove out of the way and barely avoided getting hit by Amber's car in the process
Using IRAC and relevant case authorities, answer the following questions:
1. Is Amber liable for assault?
2. Is Amber liable for battery?
3. Is Johnny liable for false imprisonment?

Can anyone help me with this ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending