The Student Room Group

ukmt Hamilton olympiad

Hi there, I have my ukmt Hamilton olympiad next Thursday and I would really appreciate if anyone could reply with tips and tricks as well as topics that come up frequently on the olympiad (what often comes up for algebra, logic questions and geometry)! thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Gonna state the obvious but if you want to know topics that come up frequently have a look at past paper Qs (https://www.ukmt.org.uk/competitions/solo/hamilton-olympiad/archive)
Original post by sunnyoon
Hi there, I have my ukmt Hamilton olympiad next Thursday and I would really appreciate if anyone could reply with tips and tricks as well as topics that come up frequently on the olympiad (what often comes up for algebra, logic questions and geometry)! thanks

Papers on: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/worksheets.php?wdid=49
How did it go ??
Some people are taking the exam on Friday, so pls dont discuss until Saturday and Im asking for the thread to be locked.
Reply 5
Does anyone know how harsh the markers are for the hamilton?

For q4, if I simply wrote down some facts that I could derive from the information given, as I didn't know how to do the question. Could I potentially get 1 or 2 marks from that?

edit:
I also have another question, when does the paper come out, and when do the results themselves also come out?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by kmannnn

For q4, if I simply wrote down some facts that I could derive from the information given, as I didn't know how to do the question. Could I potentially get 1 or 2 marks from that?

edit:
I also have another question, when does the paper come out, and when do the results themselves also come out?

The papers and solutions get released within a few days but scores and certificates could take months (last year the Hamilton Olympiad results came out in June!)
Original post by kmannnn

edit:

Speaking from experience, if you think you kind of solved the problem you'll get 3/10 and if you think you'll get a couple of marks for observations you'll probably get 0/10 unfortunately. The observations have to be really quite crucial to the argument to get 1 (maybe 2) marks. I haven't seen the paper though (but I've heard that there was 3 diophantine equations...)
Reply 8
Original post by epii+1=0
Speaking from experience, if you think you kind of solved the problem you'll get 3/10 and if you think you'll get a couple of marks for observations you'll probably get 0/10 unfortunately. The observations have to be really quite crucial to the argument to get 1 (maybe 2) marks. I haven't seen the paper though (but I've heard that there was 3 diophantine equations...)

What is the criteria to get 10/10?

If you forgot a combination what would you get on the question? I've heard that you get around a 7/10, but that seems a bit harsh for forgetting 1 combination.

Also what would you expect the grade boundaries to be for bronze medal/distinction?

(Sorry for bombarding you with questions! I just had to ask.)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by kmannnn
What is the criteria to get 10/10?

If you forgot a combination what would you get on the question? I've heard that you get around a 7/10, but that seems a bit harsh for forgetting 1 combination.

Also what would you expect the grade boundaries to be for bronze medal/distinction?

(Sorry for bombarding you with questions! I just had to ask.)

To get 10/10 you need to produce a logical argument with proofs / justifications of every assertion. Lack of proof / justification limits you to 3/10. If you have a problem with like 3 cases and you miss a case you'll probably get 7/10 but if there's 3-5+ cases which come after some previous observations you'll probably get 9 (maybe 8). Arithmetical errors with little effect on the rest will also give 9/10. The marking is very harsh so its better to keep expectations relatively low (and possibly get pleasantly surpised) rather than thinking they'll give marks and then getting annoyed when you get lower than you expected.

As for expected boundaries, I haven't seen the paper (I did the Maclaurin Olympiad) but they'll probably be higher than last year since last year's paper was really hard. Generally its like 48-52 for Gold (top 20), 42-26 for Silver (top 50) and 36-40 for Bronze (top 100)
Original post by epii+1=0
To get 10/10 you need to produce a logical argument with proofs / justifications of every assertion. Lack of proof / justification limits you to 3/10. If you have a problem with like 3 cases and you miss a case you'll probably get 7/10 but if there's 3-5+ cases which come after some previous observations you'll probably get 9 (maybe 8). Arithmetical errors with little effect on the rest will also give 9/10. The marking is very harsh so its better to keep expectations relatively low (and possibly get pleasantly surpised) rather than thinking they'll give marks and then getting annoyed when you get lower than you expected.

As for expected boundaries, I haven't seen the paper (I did the Maclaurin Olympiad) but they'll probably be higher than last year since last year's paper was really hard. Generally its like 48-52 for Gold (top 20), 42-26 for Silver (top 50) and 36-40 for Bronze (top 100)

If there was a question that said list the number of combinations or list the number of values, and you got 15/19 of possible combinations/values, would you get 8/10?
Reply 11
Did anyone else answer Q5? I answered it but it don’t know how well I explained it. What did you get?
Original post by fa_1
Did anyone else answer Q5? I answered it but it don’t know how well I explained it. What did you get?

I did.

I got 4047 and any multiple of 4.

If you have 4047 consecutive integers with 2023 being the smallest, and you continously take the 2 largest integers and replace them with their difference, at some point you end up with 1 2023 and 2023 1s. You can now see that if you continue taking the 2 largest integers and finding their difference, you end up with 0.

Any multiple of 4 also works, because if you continously take the 2 largest integers and find their difference, you end up with an even number of 1s. From this you can see that if you continue taking the 2 largest integers and replace them with their difference, you end up with 0.

(This is a kinda rough explanation. I phrased it better in the actual during the actual challenge.)
Reply 13
Original post by kmannnn
I did.

I got 4047 and any multiple of 4.

If you have 4047 consecutive integers with 2023 being the smallest, and you continously take the 2 largest integers and replace them with their difference, at some point you end up with 1 2023 and 2023 1s. You can now see that if you continue taking the 2 largest integers and finding their difference, you end up with 0.

Any multiple of 4 also works, because if you continously take the 2 largest integers and find their difference, you end up with an even number of 1s. From this you can see that if you continue taking the 2 largest integers and replace them with their difference, you end up with 0.

(This is a kinda rough explanation. I phrased it better in the actual during the actual challenge.)

I got the same, but I also said that if it’s 4047 plus a multiple of 4, that would work too (It would be 0 as it’s 4047 and then the even number of ones after that). I’m not sure if that’s right or not, though.
Yh I got the same!
For q3 did anyone else get 757,576?
(I got this by realizing that 1/any number greater than 5 to 10 has a first non zero digit of one.
I then counted 26 to 100, 2501 to 10,000, 250,001 to 1,000,000 and of course 1
Reply 15
Original post by Maths351225
Yh I got the same!
(I got this by realizing that 1/any number greater than 5 to 10 has a first non zero digit of one.

I got that for Q3
Yh I got the same!

yeah i got that
Original post by fa_1
I got the same, but I also said that if it’s 4047 plus a multiple of 4, that would work too (It would be 0 as it’s 4047 and then the even number of ones after that). I’m not sure if that’s right or not, though.

Good point. I didn't get that.
Which questions did you get?
(I got 1,2,3,5 and 11^2+ 3600 =61^2 (in hope of a free mark on q6)
Which questions did you get?
(I got 1,2,3,5 and 11^2+ 3600 =61^2 (in hope of a free mark on q6)

same, I did those, but I didn't really write anything worth a mark on q6

Quick Reply

Latest