The Student Room Group

Re: UKMT 2023 JMC Paper

Original post by Aquav0rtex
You had to do 64cm-20cm and since you got 44cm^2. You then did 44cm/4 to get 11cm. You then work out a perimeter which works with an area of 11cm. You can get 5.5cm X 2 and it will work and get the answer 15.

Original post by Kerboodle_Guy
yes i think i got that right. the answer was 16

so the area of the larger square was 64 (the question said that)

this means the side length of the large square was 8cm

now that side is equal to one long side of rectangle (call that a) and short side (call that b)

it asked for the perimeter of one rectangle so it is 2a + 2b which is 8 x 2 which is 16.

btw i recommend looking at q 22 from the 2021 jmc as it was very similar.

https://www.ukmt.org.uk/sites/default/files/ukmt/JMC%202021%20Extended%20Solutions.pdf

Yes...I used the same method and got the same answer.
overall, I think that the questions weren't that hard for the first 1-15...maybe the boundaries are high this year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AD+17
Yes...I used the same method and got the same answer.
overall, I think that the questions weren't that hard for the first 1-15...maybe the boundaries are high this year?

oh yeah that makes sense thank you so much! also could someone please help me with that question about the dried tea bags I was so confused with it
Reply 2
Does anyone feel they got Q24 correct?
I can’t remember the exact wording but it was something like…
‘It’s Alice’s birthday today and she was born this century. She is the age of the sum of the digits of her birth date.
What year will it be her birthday when she turns twice the age of that year’
None of us in my group could agree on the answer. A few of us struggled to actually understand the wording.
oh so i remember the question exactly. here is the question:
Beatrix was born in this century. On her birthday this year, her age was equal to the sum of the digits of the year in which she was born. In which of these years will her age on her birthday be twice the sum of the digits of that year?

A 2027
B 2029
C 2031
D 2033
E 2035

So if she was born in 2015

She is 8 years old this year.

In 2031 she is 16 years old
And the sum of the digits of the digits is 8

So its 2031

however, it depends on how you understood the question.

The answer depends, if u interprate "that year" as the year she was born the answer would be 2031

But if u Interpret "that year" as 2023 the answer would be 2035

personally i just got 2031 but u could have got 2035.

its one of those 2
I'm not sure if other schools had this but everyone at my school (we did the test online) had issues with Question 2,
It went something like this,
How many of the following are factors of 30?

A0 B1 C2 D3 E4
But it wouldn't show anyone the list of numbers, so we weren't sure whether it meant the numbers in the boxes A,B,C,D and E or if there was a glitch.
Reply 5
Wow - photographic memory!
You are so right about the interpretation - I went for the other understanding & got 2035 but realised I’d misunderstood in the final few seconds.
I find understanding the question a bigger challenge than the maths in a lot of these papers. It’s a hard thing to work on

oh so i remember the question exactly. here is the question:
Beatrix was born in this century. On her birthday this year, her age was equal to the sum of the digits of the year in which she was born. In which of these years will her age on her birthday be twice the sum of the digits of that year?

A 2027
B 2029
C 2031
D 2033
E 2035

So if she was born in 2015

She is 8 years old this year.

In 2031 she is 16 years old
And the sum of the digits of the digits is 8

So its 2031

however, it depends on how you understood the question.

The answer depends, if u interprate "that year" as the year she was born the answer would be 2031

But if u Interpret "that year" as 2023 the answer would be 2035

personally i just got 2031 but u could have got 2035.

its one of those 2
Original post by toppov
Wow - photographic memory!
You are so right about the interpretation - I went for the other understanding & got 2035 but realised I’d misunderstood in the final few seconds.
I find understanding the question a bigger challenge than the maths in a lot of these papers. It’s a hard thing to work on

thx but basically what happened my friend in another schl got to take their paper home with them and then he sent me all the questions when we got back home.
thats how i know

thx btw
Original post by username6125590
I'm not sure if other schools had this but everyone at my school (we did the test online) had issues with Question 2,
It went something like this,
How many of the following are factors of 30?

A0 B1 C2 D3 E4
But it wouldn't show anyone the list of numbers, so we weren't sure whether it meant the numbers in the boxes A,B,C,D and E or if there was a glitch.

i did it online too
its not a glitch its the question

so they meant the numbers in the boxes

but i was confused too so i came back to it at the end as well
Original post by akshaya.x
oh yeah that makes sense thank you so much! also could someone please help me with that question about the dried tea bags I was so confused with it

icl i was too but idk

i know i got it wrong for sure as i wrote 480

i asked chatgpt the question and it then said it was E - 180

but my friends said they got either 195/210 (210 being the majority of my friends)
icl i was too but idk

i know i got it wrong for sure as i wrote 480

i asked chatgpt the question and it then said it was E - 180

but my friends said they got either 195/210 (210 being the majority of my friends)

ok I guessed and got 180
ok I guessed and got 180

what did everyone get for the last question?
Reply 11
guys if you want to see the questions and answers for the jmc 2023 here they are

paper: https://www.ukmt.org.uk/sites/default/files/ukmt/Junior%20Mathematical%20Challenge%202023.pdf

solution: https://www.ukmt.org.uk/sites/default/files/ukmt/JMC%202023%20Solutions.pdf

do you guys think the boundaries will be higher or lower this year?
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 12
Slightly lower than last year for the Olympiad, but above the long-run mean, I think.
Reply 13
guys if you want to see the questions and answers for the jmc 2023 here they are

paper: https://www.ukmt.org.uk/sites/default/files/ukmt/Junior%20Mathematical%20Challenge%202023.pdf

solution: https://www.ukmt.org.uk/sites/default/files/ukmt/JMC%202023%20Solutions.pdf

do you guys think the boundaries will be higher or lower this year?

what does everyone else think about the boundaries
Reply 14
110-115
Reply 15
Original post by toppov
110-115

for the olympiad?
Reply 16
Yes, 110-115 feels like the right sort of range (for the Olympiad).
Reply 17
Original post by Perec04
Yes, 110-115 feels like the right sort of range (for the Olympiad).

I should add that 115, 114 and 110 are highly improbable scores and 113 is unlikely. Which suggests 111 or 112 as the cut-off.
Reply 18
I tend to mess up on the first half but not the second half!
But yeah I agree with your tweak & thinking, especially since it’s across 2 school years. I got more wrong this year than last but felt this years paper was harder but then also I’ve got a years more experience this year. Overall I think I’m at ‘my level’

When do you think results will come out? It feels like this solution was published earlier than last year.

Original post by Perec04
I should add that 115, 114 and 110 are highly improbable scores and 113 is unlikely. Which suggests 111 or 112 as the cut-off.
Reply 19
Original post by toppov
I tend to mess up on the first half but not the second half!
But yeah I agree with your tweak & thinking, especially since it’s across 2 school years. I got more wrong this year than last but felt this years paper was harder but then also I’ve got a years more experience this year. Overall I think I’m at ‘my level’

When do you think results will come out? It feels like this solution was published earlier than last year.

I would hope for grade boundaries within 10-14 days. The UKMT was much more prompt with Intermediate Kangaroo and Olympiad results this year than last. I also think that this was harder than last year's paper, with a more noticeable step-up to the six-point questions (and the ambiguity in Q24). There will be plenty of marks dropped on Q4, through not understanding or misreading 'product'.

Quick Reply

Latest