The Student Room Group

OCR A-Level History Unit 1 (Y101-Y113) - 9th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Is anyone doing y107 later tudors? Does anyone know what came up last year or have any predictions?
Original post by Kyrahh
Is anyone doing y107 later tudors? Does anyone know what came up last year or have any predictions?

I'm not too sure about last year but I think one of the questions was on MQS.

My teacher said later years has come up every year and the exam board love setting it so I find it likely it would be that something like that such as: "The most serious problem for Elizabeth I and her government in the years from 1588 to 1603 was the unrest in Ireland" or "How serious an impact did war have on the Elizabethan regime after 1588" or "How serious a threat to Elizabeth were the social and economic problems of the 1590s".

Also last year they got rid of economy and society for the advanced information so that might come up as a general question such as "How serious were the financial problems facing Elizabeth in 1558". But they have never asked about government either so they are both likely to come up.

For the source questions my teacher said maybe Edward's religious policy such as "How popular were Edward's Protestant Reformation" and possibly the Wyatt Rebellion as I am feeling a bit hungry for a rebellion question.
Reply 42
Original post by Toastybathtime

My teacher said later years has come up every year and the exam board love setting it so I find it likely it would be that something like that such as: "The most serious problem for Elizabeth I and her government in the years from 1588 to 1603 was the unrest in Ireland" or "How serious an impact did war have on the Elizabethan regime after 1588" or "How serious a threat to Elizabeth were the social and economic problems of the 1590s".

Also last year they got rid of economy and society for the advanced information so that might come up as a general question such as "How serious were the financial problems facing Elizabeth in 1558". But they have never asked about government either so they are both likely to come up.

For the source questions my teacher said maybe Edward's religious policy such as "How popular were Edward's Protestant Reformation" and possibly the Wyatt Rebellion as I am feeling a bit hungry for a rebellion question.

Thanks this is really helpful! My teacher also predicted Wyatt’s rebellion for the source question since there hasn’t been Mary and rebellion before.
Hastings (PLEASE!!) or Church (maybe change and continuity???) for 20m Veixn Wars / France or like Rufus death for 30m (if its Rufus death im blessed since I wrote my coursework on that and got 38 lol)
Original post by Iqra1302
Me, do you have any predictions
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 44
Does anyone know what the 2022 essays were for britain 1900-51?
Reply 45
Original post by brrrrr5

yes!! they were 1. general strike impact
2. labour reforms 1945-51
so essay options likely to be 1918-30 ish

the source was industrial unrest
Reply 46
Original post by brrrrr5

yes!! they were 1. general strike impact
2. labour reforms 1945-51
so essay options likely to be 1918-30 ish

the source was industrial unrest
Reply 47
Original post by brrrrr5

sorry for another reply but i’d look at these essays as they’ve never come up:

- DLG coalition
- 24-29 Conservatives
- 29-31 Labour
- formation of national gov
- economy 1918
- why Churchill came to power
- 1951 election
Reply 48

If "How serious were the financial problems facing Elizabeth in 1558" comes up would these be good points?
- Cost of war
- Inflation
- Later years (I'll talk about Purveyance and Monopolies)
Original post by mmsilim
If "How serious were the financial problems facing Elizabeth in 1558" comes up would these be good points?
- Cost of war
- Inflation
- Later years (I'll talk about Purveyance and Monopolies)

Those would be good points if the question was financial problems after 1588 but this is as soon as she became monarch so you would talk about:
1) Debts: how she inherited the Marian debt and what she did to deal with it.
2) The need to increase income: such as through crown lands, parliamentary taxation and Mary's financial reforms.
3) Expenditure at court: so what she did to reduce her spending such as the finance committee, how she used patronage and how she used her courtiers for money such as them giving gifts.
(edited 10 months ago)
Does anyone have any predictions for Early Tudors?? I've had a look at the 2022 paper, but does anyone have any guesses as to how likely it is to get both Henry VII and VIII for the options on the essay? I really don't want to have to do a Henry VIII question!
Also how likely are we to get Edward VI for sources? I'm rubbish at Mary ones!!
Original post by Kyrahh

the source question was on succession and political stability from 1553-1558 and the 20 markers were on foreign policy shaping elizabeth's religious settlement and the second one was on parliament
Reply 52
Guys i got 27 in coursework, lets say I got mid to high 60s for the first paper and if i get solid A*s for these next two papers, can I get an A*?
I just hope grade boundaries r lower but they're probably gonna make it close to 2019 rather than 2022...
Original post by mmsilim
Guys i got 27 in coursework, lets say I got mid to high 60s for the first paper and if i get solid A*s for these next two papers, can I get an A*?
I just hope grade boundaries r lower but they're probably gonna make it close to 2019 rather than 2022...

It is possible, but if we follow the 2019 grade boundaries you would need to get quite high A*s on these papers, but you can definitely do it.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 54
It is possible, but if we follow the 2019 grade boundaries you would need to get quite high A*s on these papers, but you can definitely do it.

Hopefully, my aim is to try and get full marks or very close to full marks for Tudors I've revised a lot and have looked at many past exemplar essays so its possible I think
using 2019 grade boundaries A* = 164 (dependent on what topics u do tho) so you'd probably have about 10-15 marks leeway so dropping 5-8 marks on each paper! deffo possible but tricky
(Original post by mmsilim)
Reply 56
Original post by humanoid_freak
Does anyone have any predictions for Early Tudors?? I've had a look at the 2022 paper, but does anyone have any guesses as to how likely it is to get both Henry VII and VIII for the options on the essay? I really don't want to have to do a Henry VIII question!
Also how likely are we to get Edward VI for sources? I'm rubbish at Mary ones!!

i think edward is more likely to be the source question as theres much more content (i dont think mary has been assessed since 2018?). but predicting whether henry vii or henry viii is gonna come up is difficult...
Reply 57
guys what do you need to get an A including coursework?
Reply 58
Original post by Guggz
guys what do you need to get an A including coursework?

I mean no one can say for sure as grade boundaries change every year, but in 2019 it was 145/200 in total for an A
Original post by Izzy-B
Hey I'm doing Britain 1930-1997 and I really hate the source questions. Does anyone have any tips?

if u can't think of anything for a source look at where it came from! you can get marks for a paragraph on provenance so that's good:
1. look at the year it came from and the year in the question - are they far apart?? if so it may have hindsight so may be biased - if its close then it could be more representative as it came from the time
2. look at where it came from - came from a book or a film?? could show exaggeration for public use so may be biased - came from a private diary? then it's more likely to be real and unbiased and trustworthy
3. also who wrote it - if it's from someone close to Churchill/one of his close advisors or many even a general then it's more likely to be unbiased as they were close to Churchill but if it's from someone who wasn't close with him e.g. a historian or a friend of a friend then may biased (but also be careful with this as i saw one that was like a letter from his child or something and u could say it was biased as there was a personal connection so make sure u check where its from as well)

general tips:
- you do need a high level of contextual knowledge to help you on the source question
- don't waste time on writing an intro - unless u have time at the end and then ** it into the beginning, unlike Unit 3 you don't need one/ don't need to put the sources in their context
- keep your timings right - it's meant to be 54 minutes on source question so keep 4 mins of that to analyse sources - i like to split it into 10 mins to write for each paragraph for each source (as 4 sources so that's 40 mins, 4 mins for analysing sources (1 min a source) and then 10 mins to go back and check/conclusion/finishing paragraphs) - if u run out of time then just move on
- always start with your best paragraph and go from best --> worst (some like to put worst in middle but if u run out of time and saved an amazing paragraph last then that's just losing marks)

ik its close to the exam but good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending