The Student Room Group

A100 Medicine for International Students 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi everyone, i’m new here and need some advices.

I did UCAT last week and got 2730 b2, Predicted 4A* in math, chem, phy and bio,
As level 4A (math, chem, phy and bio),
GCSE 9A* 1A.

My work experiences and extracurriculars are shadowing at hospitals, volunteering at clinics and hospitals.

I understand my UCAT is not that strong score for international so where should I strategically apply to with this stat? How about Keele, Liverpool, St George or St andrew?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 21
Hey everyone,

I sat my UCAT yesterday and scored a 2830 B2

VR- 700
DM- 670 ( honestly disappointed with this score as my mocks averaged around 750+, the question types were a lot different)
QR-710
AR-750

I am looking at an IB predicted score of 45
HL- Bio, Chem, Econ
Extended essay- Biology
SL- AA Math, Spanish, English

Some of my work experience/ECs include the following
- Developing a play therapy program at a palliative care center (pediatric patients)
- Shadowing pediatric physician
- Red Cross Intern for blood donation outreach
- Two published independent research papers
- School Health club initiative I started

I was thinking of applying of applying to King’s and Manchester, but am not too sure about continuing with King’s given that my UCAT score is not the most competitive for an international applicant as it sits between the 8th/9th decile given last year’s statistics ( I’m still hesitant as their review process is supposed to be more holistic).

What do you guys think about these options? Any other suggestions?

Imperial will likely be my BMAT school, so hoping that all goes well with that :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by sandygg
Hey everyone,

I sat my UCAT yesterday and scored a 2830 B2

VR- 700
DM- 670 ( honestly disappointed with this score as my mocks averaged around 750+, the question types were a lot different)
QR-710
AR-750

I am looking at an IB predicted score of 45
HL- Bio, Chem, Econ
Extended essay- Biology
SL- AA Math, Spanish, English

Some of my work experience/ECs include the following
- Developing a play therapy program at a palliative care center (pediatric patients)
- Shadowing pediatric physician
- Red Cross Intern for blood donation outreach
- Two published independent research papers
- School Health club initiative I started

I was thinking of applying of applying to King’s and Manchester, but am not too sure about continuing with King’s given that my UCAT score is not the most competitive for an international applicant as it sits between the 8th/9th decile given last year’s statistics ( I’m still hesitant as their review process is supposed to be more holistic).

What do you guys think about these options? Any other suggestions?

Imperial will likely be my BMAT school, so hoping that all goes well with that :smile:

Manchseter is a decent choice as your UCAT is 50 points above this year cut off. Kings is too risky as the UCAT cut off for the past 2 application cycle is very high (2990B1 for 2022 entry and the lowest UCAT for internationals who declared an interview offer on TSR for 2023 entry was 2920. 2920 was probably a candidate that was asessed holistically as there were candidates with higher UCAT who were rejected pre-interview.
British medical schools are generally very transparent about their admission policies and the statistics for previous applications cycle can usually be found on their websites.
I would advise a UCAT score of 50 points above the most recent cycle to be safe. Do consider Liverpool, Dundee, Aberdeen, Plymouth, St George's, HYMS. Cardiff is also a decent choice if you have 9A* for iGCSE.
What is your iGCSE?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 23
Original post by NGKT
Manchseter is a decent choice as your UCAT is 50 points above this year cut off. Kings is too risky as the UCAT cut off for the past 2 application cycle is very high (2990B1 for 2022 entry and the lowest UCAT for internationals who declared an interview offer on TSR for 2023 entry was 2920. 2920 was probably a candidate that is asessed holistically as there were candidates with higher UCAT who were rejected pre-interview.
British medical schools are generally very transparent about their admission policies and the statistics for previous applications cycle can usually be found on their websites.
I would advise a UCAT score of 50 points above the most recent cycle to be safe. Do consider Liverpool, Dundee, Aberdeen, Plymouth, St George's, HYMS. Cardiff is also a decent choice if you have 9A* for iGCSE.
What is your iGCSE?

Thank you so much for your response! I was afraid that was the case.

But because I followed the American curriculum, I do not have any iGCSE scores, though my GPA was a 4.0 unweighted.
Hi all,

I am from Hong Kong.

I took my UCAT yesterday and got 3,060 with band 3.

VR 540
DM 830
QR 900
AR 790

Quite disappointing about SJT result.

I originally targeted Kings, Edinburgh and Manchester. With Band 3, Manchester is now impossible. Is it possible to get an interview from either Kings or Edinburgh?

I will take BMAT also but those universities are even more challenging. Could someone give me some advice?

Anyone else from Hong Kong can share more. It is quite difficult to find medical threads relating to DSE students from Hong Kong.
Original post by joelee0977
Hi all,

I am from Hong Kong.

VR 540
DM 830
QR 900
AR 790

I originally targeted Kings, Edinburgh and Manchester. With Band 3, Manchester is now impossible. Is it possible to get an interview from either Kings or Edinburgh?

I will take BMAT also but those universities are even more challenging. Could someone give me some advice?

Anyone else from Hong Kong can share more. It is quite difficult to find medical threads relating to DSE students from Hong Kong.

well done, great stats

kings is a risk but reasonable-if you really fancy it
Edinburgh is a no due to band im afraid

bristol, southampton, uea, Newcastle, Brunel, uclan, buckingham are all good options assuming you meet academic requirements

brunel ulan and bucks apply direct
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 26
Original post by joelee0977
Hi all,

I am from Hong Kong.

VR 540
DM 830
QR 900
AR 790

You should consider medical schools that do not use SJT but has a high UCAT cut off to maximise your chance of an offer.
Glasgow, Bristol and Newcastle are worth considering. Edinburgh is a NO. Kings is too risky as it has a high UCAT requirement for international student and you already lost 10 points for SJT band 3.
Good luck!
Reply 27
Hello everyone, I did my UCAT test today and got a 2540 with a band 4, sjt was really hard so not the greatest, marks either. can you please suggest some of the colleges I could get into, also considering my grades are A*AA
I was expecting maybe birmingham Uni or something, anyone please help?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 28
Wrong thread
Reply 29
Original post by GGIN
Wrong thread

Can't delete sorry
Reply 30
Hi. I’m looking for advice on where to apply with my stat below:

UCAT 2730 sjt band 2
VR - 620
DM - 710
QR - 720
AR - 680

GCSEs : 8A* 3A

A-Level (predicted) : 4A* (physics, chem, bio, maths)

I’m aware that my ucat is not quite competitive for international students but really want to study medicine. So anyone please advise where should I apply to strategically.

Considered choices,
Sgul, Liverpool, Man, Hyms, St.Andrew or any advice is highly appreciated
amazing job on your stats x

add exeter to the list and double check they haven't got a higher cutoff for intls, so far I haven't seen this to be the case

sgul cutoff was 2690 for intl so close but could be ok
liverpool was 2660 so should be alright
hyms you score 72 cutoff was 77 double check if it was different for intls though, I saw something about 73 but need to re find this data and look into it
Manchester cutoff was 2780 for intls
add plymouth, cutoff was 2440 for intls but historically 2610, 2400

id shortlist exeter, qub, liverpool and plymouth

Original post by JJangg
Hi. I’m looking for advice on where to apply with my stat below:

UCAT 2730 sjt band 2
VR - 620
DM - 710
QR - 720
AR - 680

GCSEs : 8A* 3A

A-Level (predicted) : 4A* (physics, chem, bio, maths)

I’m aware that my ucat is not quite competitive for international students but really want to study medicine. So anyone please advise where should I apply to strategically.

Considered choices,
Sgul, Liverpool, Man, Hyms, St.Andrew or any advice is highly appreciated
Reply 32
Original post by Chi chi5
amazing job on your stats x

add exeter to the list and double check they haven't got a higher cutoff for intls, so far I haven't seen this to be the case

sgul cutoff was 2690 for intl so close but could be ok
liverpool was 2660 so should be alright
hyms you score 72 cutoff was 77 double check if it was different for intls though, I saw something about 73 but need to re find this data and look into it
Manchester cutoff was 2780 for intls
add plymouth, cutoff was 2440 for intls but historically 2610, 2400

id shortlist exeter, qub, liverpool and plymouth

Appreciated your reply, just add Exeter to the list and will recheck cut-off. For qub, any prioritise for Welsh than intl student?

One more choice, previously i’m also targeting Nottingham. Should i or should I avoid due to Sjt?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 33
Hi everyone,

I am an International undergraduate student wishing to apply to study medicine in the UK for September 2024. My UCAT ANZ score is 3140 with SJT band 3 and I also have a 97+ ATAR (Australian Tertiary Admission Rank), I would appreciate advice as to which 4 medical schools I should preference through UCAS so that I have the best chance to have an interview considering my high UCAT but low SJT (band 3). Thank you in advance.
Original post by JJangg
Appreciated your reply, just add Exeter to the list and will recheck cut-off. For qub, any prioritise for Welsh than intl student?

One more choice, previously i’m also targeting Nottingham. Should i or should I avoid due to Sjt?

Qub is a good choice for intls with great GCSEs actually, you’ll be alright x intls don’t compete for the same home places so only against each other

I’m sorry, the band 2 means you should avoid unfortunately
Original post by Westmate
Hi everyone,

I am an International undergraduate student wishing to apply to study medicine in the UK for September 2024. My UCAT ANZ score is 3140 with SJT band 3 and I also have a 97+ ATAR (Australian Tertiary Admission Rank), I would appreciate advice as to which 4 medical schools I should preference through UCAS so that I have the best chance to have an interview considering my high UCAT but low SJT (band 3). Thank you in advance.

Bristol,

maybe kings- you lose 5/150 points but cog score should mitigate this

QMUL though they use any post interview

newcastle

sheffield, again use sjt post interview

uea 50% post interview score is UCAT, also use sjt but same advice as kings
Reply 36
Bristol,

maybe kings- you lose 5/150 points but cog score should mitigate this

QMUL though they use any post interview

newcastle

sheffield, again use sjt post interview

uea 50% post interview score is UCAT, also use sjt but same advice as kings

Thank you so much. Are there any other medical schools with less emphasis on SJT given my SJT is a band 3? I would appreciate your advice!
Thank you so much. Are there any other medical schools with less emphasis on SJT given my SJT is a band 3? I would appreciate your advice!

Southampton, Leeds Plymouth Kmms Aston maybe glasgow and st Andrew’s but you’d have to ask the tsr goddess
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 38
Southampton, Leeds Plymouth Kmms Aston maybe glasgow and at Andrew’s but you’d have to ask the tsr goddess

Thanks so much. My apologies for the ignorance- who is tsr goddess?
Reply 39
Thanks so much. My apologies for the ignorance- who is tsr goddess?

Well, that's interesting. Chi Chi has already answered you so not her !

Suspect this is a shout for @GANFYD
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending