The Student Room Group

A100 Medicine for International Students 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GGIN
Well, that's interesting. Chi Chi has already answered you so not her !

Suspect this is a shout for @GANFYD

Yes, it was but I didn’t tag for a reason lol
Let’s give her a break and if she’s on and fancies responding then she will. Let’s not bombard any one specific person with requests x
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Westmate
Thanks so much. My apologies for the ignorance- who is tsr goddess?

No worries x if she pops on and sees this she’ll know 😉
Reply 42
Original post by Chi chi5
Yes, it was but I didn’t tag for a reason lol
Let’s give her a break and if she’s on and fancies responding then she will. Let’s not bombard any one specific person with requests x

No worries. I would be happy to delete it, but for some reason frustratingly I have lost the ability to edit or delete any of my posts.
Original post by GGIN
No worries. I would be happy to delete it, but for some reason frustratingly I have lost the ability to edit or delete any of my posts.

No it’s all good x
Reply 44
Hi, my UCAT is 3000 B2, predicted 4A* in Biology Chemistry Math and Econ, do you think I have a chance if I apply to Newcastle/Glasgow

What are the "safer" unis with my score as an international student?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 45
Original post by cffpq
Hi, my UCAT is 3000 B2, predicted 4A* in Biology Chemistry Math and Econ, do you think I have a chance if I apply to Newcastle/Glasgow

What are the "safer" unis with my score as an international student?

Congratulation for a good UCAT score. You should have no problem getting 4 interviews if you apply strategically. You should apply to universities with a high UCAT cut off to maximise your chance of converting interviews into offers. Glasgow and Newcastle are good choices. Also consider Sheffield and Birmingham. UEA uses 50% UCAT as post interview score+SJT as one of the interview station so should be a very safe choice.
Please check the univerities' websites for the minimum requirement and any last minute change in admission policies.
Reply 46
hello, my ucat score is 2360 with sjt band 1(its really low and im an international student)
however i think i have good gcse(equivalent) grades: 7 A*s, 1 A, 2B's
predicted: A*A*A bio chem psychology A levels
achieved AS level grades: A( bio) A( English) B( psychology)
i have a good amount of work experience as well.
im thinking of QUB, Keele, aston, nottingham(125/152), st. andrews, UCLan, Brunel, maybe HYMS( not sure if im above the cutoff), cardiff. Could someone please tell me if this would be enough to get me an interview/offer? im not planning on taking the BMAT. Thanks a lot!
Original post by rb00625
hello, my ucat score is 2360 with sjt band 1(its really low and im an international student)
however i think i have good gcse(equivalent) grades: 7 A*s, 1 A, 2B's
predicted: A*A*A bio chem psychology A levels
achieved AS level grades: A( bio) A( English) B( psychology)
i have a good amount of work experience as well.
im thinking of QUB, Keele, aston, nottingham(125/152), st. andrews, UCLan, Brunel, maybe HYMS( not sure if im above the cutoff), cardiff. Could someone please tell me if this would be enough to get me an interview/offer? im not planning on taking the BMAT. Thanks a lot!

brunel kmms uclan and buckingham are some options

125 too low I would think though for notts, Lincoln would be a better option cutoff was 123
qub you score 36, cutoff was 38 but should come down due to grade deflation so may be ok
keele is using ucat for intl for first time so may be ok
Cardiff I would think not
st Andrews ill defer the tar goddess or @Medpapa
hyms you score 73, cutoff was 77. should come down but not sure if it would reach low 70s. also double check if intls had a different cutoff to home
aston you score 30 if maths bio chem and eng lang were all at A*. This may be ok as cutoff likely to come down
Reply 48
brunel kmms uclan and buckingham are some options

125 too low I would think though for notts, Lincoln would be a better option cutoff was 123
qub you score 36, cutoff was 38 but should come down due to grade deflation so may be ok
keele is using ucat for intl for first time so may be ok
Cardiff I would think not
st Andrews ill defer the tar goddess or @Medpapa
hyms you score 73, cutoff was 77. should come down but not sure if it would reach low 70s. also double check if intls had a different cutoff to home
aston you score 30 if maths bio chem and eng lang were all at A*. This may be ok as cutoff likely to come down

thank you so much! i think i score 38 for QUB but that scoring system was according to home students, would it work the same way for intl. as well? also can you please tell me how you did you calculate the scores for aston too. thanks a lot
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by rb00625
thank you so much! i think i score 38 for QUB but that scoring system was according to home students, would it work the same way for intl. as well? also can you please tell me how you did you calculate the scores for aston too. thanks a lot

QUB you get 3 ucat band points
33 academic points
they score 9 gcses. As are scored as 7s so you lose a point for your A and 2 points for your B
so you score 36 not 38

aston you score 24 academic points, the max and 6 for ucat, .5 points for every 100 ucat points
Reply 50
QUB you get 3 ucat band points
33 academic points
they score 9 gcses. As are scored as 7s so you lose a point for your A and 2 points for your B
so you score 36 not 38

aston you score 24 academic points, the max and 6 for ucat, .5 points for every 100 ucat points

okay! thank you so much for your help 😊
Reply 51
Hello everyone I am deciding on which medical schools to apply to in the UK but I am having difficulty narrowing down which four schools to apply to.

I would really appreciate any insights any of you could provide!

Some background info:

I am a Canadian Applicant with an Undergraduate degree and a Master's degree in Medical Sciences.

My undergrad degree GPA wasn't the best (3.54/4) over 5 years which I believe translates to a 2.1 at some schools but I am not sure as Southhampton says 3.5 is the cutoff for a first whereas Barts says a 3.6. My undergraduate GPA is what really concerns me regarding where to apply.

I wrote my UCAT recently and managed to get a score of 3040 with a band 1.
Breakdown is VR - 700, DM -750, QR -840, AR- 750.

I really think that my work experience during my master's and the number of publications/awards and other healthcare-related experiences I have would really help during the interview so my goal is to apply to programs with the highest chances of being offered an interview.

I would really like to go to Barts or KCL but my GPA makes me nervous to apply there.
I have also considered SGUL, Newcastle, Southhampton, Glasgow and Manchester (all undergraduate programs).
I wanted to apply to Warwick also for GEM but they only have 13 seats for international applicants so I am reluctant to apply there.

Any insights would be really appreciated or if anyone knows how GPA is taken into consideration at these schools.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Niz_123
Hello everyone I am deciding on which medical schools to apply to in the UK but I am having difficulty narrowing down which four schools to apply to.

I would really appreciate any insights any of you could provide!

Some background info:

I am a Canadian Applicant with an Undergraduate degree and a Master's degree in Medical Sciences.

My undergrad degree GPA wasn't the best (3.55/4) over 5 years which I believe translates to a 2.1 at some schools but I am not sure as Southhampton says 3.5 is the cutoff for a first whereas Barts says a 3.6. My undergraduate GPA is what really concerns me regarding where to apply.

I wrote my UCAT recently and managed to get a score of 3040 with a band 1.
Breakdown is VR - 700, DM -750, QR -840, AR- 750.

I really think that my work experience during my master's and the number of publications/awards and other healthcare-related experiences I have would really help during the interview so my goal is to apply to programs with the highest chances of being offered an interview.

I would really like to go to Barts or KCL but my GPA makes me nervous to apply there.
I have also considered SGUL, Newcastle, Southhampton, Glasgow and Manchester (all undergraduate programs).
I wanted to apply to Warwick also for GEM but they only have 13 seats for international applicants so I am reluctant to apply there.

Any insights would be really appreciated or if anyone knows how GPA is taken into consideration at these schools.

Hey, well done on your metrics! Southampton then it would count as a first. Barts I would email them your gpa and ask if they would round that up to 3.6 and class it as a 1st. If they say yes then apply! if not then maybe dont, they heavily favour 1sts, although with that being said your UCAT should be high enough to compensate, maybe borderline.

Look at St Andrews, they've got a Canadian pathway

KCL depends on your gcse equivalents but if you did well, similar gpa to your undergrad then worth a shot

Warwick is worth a shot, med schools dont have many places, most have between 20-30 places so dont be too put off

Worcester is another grad programme worth checking out

also apply to brunel uclan and Buckingham directly

Newcastle, Birmingham, bristol, sheffield all good for your stats

personally I would go for
St Andrews Canadian pathway
Kings
Barts if classed as a first, if not then either of Glasgow, Bristol, Birmingham, Newcastle or Warwick

Best of luck!
Reply 53
Hey, well done on your metrics! Southampton then it would count as a first. Barts I would email them your gpa and ask if they would round that up to 3.6 and class it as a 1st. If they say yes then apply! if not then maybe dont, they heavily favour 1sts, although with that being said your UCAT should be high enough to compensate, maybe borderline.

Look at St Andrews, they've got a Canadian pathway

KCL depends on your gcse equivalents but if you did well, similar gpa to your undergrad then worth a shot

Warwick is worth a shot, med schools dont have many places, most have between 20-30 places so dont be too put off

Worcester is another grad programme worth checking out

also apply to brunel uclan and Buckingham directly

Newcastle, Birmingham, bristol, sheffield all good for your stats

personally I would go for
St Andrews Canadian pathway
Kings
Barts if classed as a first, if not then either of Glasgow, Bristol, Birmingham, Newcastle or Warwick

Best of luck!

Thanks so much for your insights I really appreciate your feedback.

I will go ahead with reaching out for more information to the schools.

I was hesitant to apply to St. Andrew's because of the 6-year duration of the program. I would prefer 5-year programs.

Thanks again for your response!
Original post by Niz_123
Thanks so much for your insights I really appreciate your feedback.

I will go ahead with reaching out for more information to the schools.

I was hesitant to apply to St. Andrew's because of the 6-year duration of the program. I would prefer 5-year programs.

Thanks again for your response!

Ah, thats a fair consideration x
you have many other decent options

also to note, the only uni where a 1st matters over a 2.1 is barts so dont fret x
Hey! I'm looking to apply to medicine as an international student in 2024. I will be under 18 when I start my course (I'm open to deferred entry)!
Ucat - 2670 (not the best:frown:)+ band 2
Igcses - A*A*A*A*A*A* in English (as first language - I didn't take the optional speaking + listening modules), Coordinated sciences (dual award), French, economics and International Maths.
A levels - Predicted A*A*A*
Which universities would you recommend given my low number of GCSEs (6), age and UCAT? I was thinking of Aston, HYMS, Buckingham, St. Andrews (confirmed) and maybe UEA for deferred entry?

I haven't heard the greatest things about UCLan and Brunel, so I might not apply there.

Any help would be appreciated!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 56
Hello Everyone, International Student here, Predicted A* in Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Mathematics and English.
UCAT Score - 2540, Band 4 (messed up)

Looking for potential colleges to apply to in the UK. My hopes were Birmingham, considering my dream to be there, Also looking for other suggestions, so please let me know.
Reply 57
Original post by Nithinnnn
Hello Everyone, International Student here, Predicted A* in Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Mathematics and English.
UCAT Score - 2540, Band 4 (messed up)

Looking for potential colleges to apply to in the UK. My hopes were Birmingham, considering my dream to be there, Also looking for other suggestions, so please let me know.

Guys can someone please help
Original post by Nithinnnn
Guys can someone please help

hey give me a bit, just doing some revision and need to take time to go through your options that accept band 4 x @ me if I dont respond by 1230 x
Reply 59
hey guys
so I am an international student
UCAT - 2770 Band 2
My GCSE equivalent are pretty strong 97.7% (out of 100)
even my A- level equivalents are great with 98% (out of 100) with highest grades in chemistry
I have done shadowing and some work experience, taught underprivileged children for charity, won an academic essay prize for an article on Alzheimers and also founded a science club

Currently I am thinking - Liverpool and St georges (maybe Kings idk)

Any suggestion as to where to apply
It would be really helpful for me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending