The Student Room Group

Chemistry Work experience

Does anyone know any Chemistry or science related work experience that would both be personally beneficial and good on my ucas application?
Volunteering in a lab: You can contact local research institutions, hospitals or universities to see if they have any volunteer positions available in their labs. This can give you an opportunity to see what scientific research is like and gain some practical experience.

Shadowing a doctor or other medical professionals: If you're interested in the medical field, shadowing a doctor, nurse or other healthcare professional can be a great way to gain some insight into the profession. Contact your local hospital or clinic to see if they have any opportunities for shadowing.

Summer science programs: Many universities and research institutions offer summer science programs for high school students. These programs provide opportunities to learn about a specific area of science, work on research projects, and interact with other students and professionals in the field.

Internships: Look for internship opportunities with companies or organizations that focus on science, technology, engineering or math (STEM) fields. These internships can provide hands-on experience and exposure to real-world applications of science.

Science camps: There are many science camps that offer students the chance to explore science and engineering in a fun and interactive way. Look for camps that focus on topics that interest you, such as robotics, chemistry, or biology.

Remember, the key is to find an experience that aligns with your interests and goals. It's important to show your passion for science and your willingness to learn and grow in the field.

Original post by user3829823823
Does anyone know any Chemistry or science related work experience that would both be personally beneficial and good on my ucas application?
Eh. Honestly? From a UCAS point of view, focus on your academics. While you might find it useful to know what life in a lab is like, I would say that your time is better spent making sure you nail your A-levels, doing any GCSE resits if necessary, and researching as many chemistry departments in detail as you have patience for. By and large universities won't really have a way of scoring work experience as part of an application, but they very much will penalise you for dropped grades or requirements you didn't notice.

Like I say, it might be personally useful to see what it is like - but make sure it doesn't distract you from the above.
Original post by user3829823823

If you are based in the south Syngenta often has summer placements available. You could also contact your nearest uni and ask them for a list of companies where they have placed YII students as there may be some local ones.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending