The Student Room Group

stem extra curriculars/work experience (year 10)

Hi
What are some good stem/science extra curriculars/work experience that i can do as a year 10?? (London based preferably)

Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by coolblackguy
Hi
What are some good stem/science extra curriculars/work experience that i can do as a year 10?? (London based preferably)

Thank you!

Engineering:
F1 in Schools
CREST Awards
Big Bang

Computing:
CYBERFIRST summer schools
Lego League
There must be some sort of robotics comp

Maths;
UKMT

Science:
Join science club in school

Work experience is trickier - ask your teachers. They may at least be able to arrange things like Uni/factory visits or competitions
Hi

Thank you!

Hi,
It might be possible to do some work experience over the holidays or get a summer internship. What type of sciences are you interested in?

Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi

Thank you!

Hi,
It might be possible to do some work experience over the holidays or get a summer internship. What type of sciences are you interested in?

biology and chemistry
You don’t need work experience for STEM degrees (at least where the M stands for maths not medicine). They’re academic degrees not vocational ones
Reply 5
Hi

Thank you!

Work experience: theforage.com or springpod.com for virtual but universities are starting to prefer people having real-life work experience rather than online but don't mind either to be honest. It's not a dealbreaker between virtual and in-person but they would like for you to have SOME. London has a lot of opportunity so shouldn't be too tricky.

Sciences - Physics, Biology, Chemistry Olympiads. Reading books, podcasts, watching videos etc.

Technology (This is definitely more up my street given that I've applied for Computer Science) - Online courses, essay competitions, societies, personal projects (they are BIG on this for university applications), taster courses and Informatics Olympiad.

Engineering - Being good at Physics and Maths and other stuff related to it. Coming up with unique solutions to everyday problems. For example, one of my friends created a traffic system to ease school traffic coming in on a morning, which not only helped in his application to Imperial (offer) and Cambridge (interview but then rejection), but was also rewarded from the school for helping them.

Maths - books, videos, podcasts, UKMT and other things.
Hi,

biology and chemistry
Hi,
I've attached a link to the royal society of Chemistry's and biology's work experience pages, which you may find useful.
Chemistry related work experience | RSC Education
Work experience (rsb.org.uk)
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 7
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi,

biology and chemistry

Hi,
I've attached a link to the royal society of Chemistry's and biology's work experience pages, which you may find useful.
Chemistry related work experience | RSC Education
Work experience (rsb.org.uk)
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Thx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending