The Student Room Group

Aspiring Medical student Vent/(advice needed) blog

Hey everyone,

This is my first time reaching out here, and I could really use some advice and a space to vent about my frustrations with A-levels.

I'm currently in Year 12, tackling four A-levels: Business, Psychology, Chemistry, and Biology—a bit of an unconventional mix, I know.

I chose these subjects because I enjoyed biology, found psychology intriguing, and excelled in business during GCSEs. Oh, and there's chemistry—yeah, chemistry. I picked it because I aspire to pursue medicine.

Recently, I had a meeting with a career advisor who suggested dropping an A-level because my chemistry grades are on another level of failing

. I'm torn because while my other grades are solid, ditching a good grade in business for a potentially mediocre one in chemistry feels risky, especially considering my aspirations for medicine. Plus, I'm limited in business without having studied maths.

During this Easter break, I'm trying to kick my procrastination habits and dive into studying. It's not like I'm wasting time on shows or games—sometimes life throws unexpected curveballs, like being called into work by my mom due to emergencies. By the time I return home in the evening, I feel too tired to start working and obviously I need to study or else I will not get the predicted grades that I need.

I was shortlisted for a place at NHS work experience, but I haven't heard back from them yet so I'm not sure about whether I will get work experience or not I do volunteer at a charity though so I'm hoping I can do that and virtual work experience at medic mentor.Additionally, I applied to the Sutton Trust Cambridge University programme, opting for the pharmacology and pathology summer course since medicine required three sciences, including maths. While awaiting their response, I've received the Sutton Trust online access, having met their grade threshold.

I'm eager to explore other opportunities, wondering if there are any summer medical courses or early September programs available for registration as April kicks off.

(BTW I have used chatgpt after writing it as I didn't have time to edit)
(edited 6 days ago)
med schools ( in fact any uni) need 3 subjects only. Ditch sth. Find more work experience by doing research online
Reply 2
Just drop business or psychology (look at uni requirements for 3rd Alevel) and do chemistry, there are resources like allery chemistry online that you can use for AS revision (he does videos by the unit so that would be handy) then fill gaps in knowledge with textbook and do pmt
Reply 3
Original post by 09548ru
Just drop business or psychology (look at uni requirements for 3rd Alevel) and do chemistry, there are resources like allery chemistry online that you can use for AS revision (he does videos by the unit so that would be handy) then fill gaps in knowledge with textbook and do pmt

Also think about how 4 alevels may affect your UCAT score, this extra stress isn’t helpful 🙏
Thank you so much for this. I, of course, didn't want to admit that I needed to drop one, as four people in my family did amazingly with four A-levels. But alas, mocks came, and yes, I have dropped psychology. And once I did (even though it sounds cliché), it actually felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.
Original post by touching-spell💓
Hey everyone,
This is my first time reaching out here, and I could really use some advice and a space to vent about my frustrations with A-levels.
I'm currently in Year 12, tackling four A-levels: Business, Psychology, Chemistry, and Biology—a bit of an unconventional mix, I know.
I chose these subjects because I enjoyed biology, found psychology intriguing, and excelled in business during GCSEs. Oh, and there's chemistry—yeah, chemistry. I picked it because I aspire to pursue medicine.
Recently, I had a meeting with a career advisor who suggested dropping an A-level because my chemistry grades are on another level of failing
. I'm torn because while my other grades are solid, ditching a good grade in business for a potentially mediocre one in chemistry feels risky, especially considering my aspirations for medicine. Plus, I'm limited in business without having studied maths.
During this Easter break, I'm trying to kick my procrastination habits and dive into studying. It's not like I'm wasting time on shows or games—sometimes life throws unexpected curveballs, like being called into work by my mom due to emergencies. By the time I return home in the evening, I feel too tired to start working and obviously I need to study or else I will not get the predicted grades that I need.
I was shortlisted for a place at NHS work experience, but I haven't heard back from them yet so I'm not sure about whether I will get work experience or not I do volunteer at a charity though so I'm hoping I can do that and virtual work experience at medic mentor.Additionally, I applied to the Sutton Trust Cambridge University programme, opting for the pharmacology and pathology summer course since medicine required three sciences, including maths. While awaiting their response, I've received the Sutton Trust online access, having met their grade threshold.
I'm eager to explore other opportunities, wondering if there are any summer medical courses or early September programs available for registration as April kicks off.
(BTW I have used chatgpt after writing it as I didn't have time to edit)
Thank you so much for this. I, of course, didn't want to admit that I needed to drop one, as four people in my family did amazingly with four A-levels. But alas, mocks came, and yes, I have dropped psychology. And once I did (even though it sounds cliché), it actually felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

Quick Reply

Latest