The Student Room Group

Final year adult nursing student

Hi I have picked a topic of interest for my dissertation but I'm struggling to pick a specific topic question. I am currently interested in doing my dissertation base on diabetes in the BAME community but I don't know if i can or how to derive a question? That will include nurses if that makes sense. If anyone has any ideas please help or if you recommend changing topic.
This is valid subject for a dissertation - I would stick with it. Part of the dissertation would have to set up how diabetes presents across the BAME community as a whole but also between the different sub-groups within that umbrella category. You could narrow down your focus to one particular ethnic group. For the nursing angle, you could look at how diabetes is managed within BAME communities and identify relevant community-based projects or interventions. I think this is a rich area - your challenge it to narrow it down to a more manageable question. It will help to run a Google Scholar search to see what research has already been done.
Reply 2
Ok thank you, so I would have to write about info of each ethnic group? what about patient education and medication adherence? Considering doing them as themes to be discussed in my dissertation
You will almost certainly have to define what you mean by BAME and this is likely lead to the identification of different sub-groups within that overall category. It may be that diabetes presents differently within each sub-group and you will probably have to set this out first but then you could focus on one particular ethnic group - maybe there one that has greater resonance for you, or is just more useful from a diabetes point of view. In terms of the nursing angle, the themes of patient education and medication adherence sound perfectly fine. Again, you should set out why you have decided to focus on those particular themes in the context of diabetes. I would strongly recommend doing some digging into what research has already been done on this - this will help you to shape your own research.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending