The Student Room Group

Can I go to an Ivy League Uni if I was born and educated in the UK?

I'm 13 years old and currently go to a UK high school. It's a huge aspiration of mine to attend an Ivy League university like Harvard, Yale, etc. I'm starting to study for my GCSEs, I get good grades in all of my classes and I'm willing to work hard to ensure my spot at a university. However, I'm not even sure if my dreams are currently possible, I've been left in the dark about my family's financial situation by parents who aren't very willing to support me because they don't think I'll go far in a field that a sibling of mine is slightly more competitive about. I'm aware of the situations I'll be in if I apply to a US university, such as the prices of travelling, having to sacrifice possibly a lot to achieve a high SAT/ACT if I take it. I also know that I'm probably very young to be worrying about this but I'm getting scared of the increasing competition and the fact that there are many my age who have achieved a lot more. Given all of my circumstances I'm starting to lose hope of getting into Harvard, Yale or any other Ivy Leagues, but I'm still looking everywhere for advice and opinions from people who aren't my parents. Thank you :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Shayla Waggie
I'm 13 years old and currently go to a UK high school. It's a huge aspiration of mine to attend an Ivy League university like Harvard, Yale, etc. I'm starting to study for my GCSEs, I get good grades in all of my classes and I'm willing to work hard to ensure my spot at a university. However, I'm not even sure if my dreams are currently possible, I've been left in the dark about my family's financial situation by parents who aren't very willing to support me because they don't think I'll go far in a field that a sibling of mine is slightly more competitive about. I'm aware of the situations I'll be in if I apply to a US university, such as the prices of travelling, having to sacrifice possibly a lot to achieve a high SAT/ACT if I take it. I also know that I'm probably very young to be worrying about this but I'm getting scared of the increasing competition and the fact that there are many my age who have achieved a lot more. Given all of my circumstances I'm starting to lose hope of getting into Harvard, Yale or any other Ivy Leagues, but I'm still looking everywhere for advice and opinions from people who aren't my parents. Thank you :smile:

Your grades niot only have to be good, SAT/ACT needs to be very high, but you also need extracurriculars.
There's no reason you couldn't get in on the basis of being from the UK. You will however need to get excellent grades across the board and as noted, from year 10 onwards they will want to see you engage in extracurricular activities across a range of areas, at a very high level of achievement and in leadership positions. Just showing up to debate club once a week wouldn't be suitable for example - they would want to see you captain your debate team to a regional/county/national championship for example. Likewise just playing X sport or instrument by itself isn't usually sufficient, as they want to see you have engaged in leadership roles through that and distinguished yourself on at least a regional level.

This in contrast to the UK system where it's usually sufficient to demonstrate excellent grades in just relevant subjects to your proposed area of study, and where extracurricular activities are usually seen more as a bonus and aren't specifically required or expected (and where for Oxford and Cambridge they are only really interested in activities you've done specifically related to your proposed area of study). Also bear in mind in the US you don't apply to a specific subject of study from the start, you just apply to the university "in general" and then when admitted you are required to take a range of courses across different areas before declaring your major (and often still take some outside of your field after declaring your major). Note even if you know what you want to study you still need to take these courses (called general education requirements). So if you want to study nothing but computer science and maths, in the US you will also need to take classes in literature, history, social sciences etc.

Note that most of the Ivies to my knowledge are commited to meeting all demonstrated financial need, and several (if not all) are need blind, which means a) they will make offers without regard for how much they would need to pay to get you to study there and b) they will cover all costs needed for you to study there based on their calculation beyond your ability to afford it. That said it's worth noting for b) they will calculate a "family contribution" and you will be expected to pay that amount of it yourself (this is based on your family income). However they generally cover the rest. So finance wise there is less of an issue aside from travel costs (potentially also other extraneous costs too, like health insurance as there is no state/national healthcare in the US).
Original post by artful_lounger
There's no reason you couldn't get in on the basis of being from the UK. You will however need to get excellent grades across the board and as noted, from year 10 onwards they will want to see you engage in extracurricular activities across a range of areas, at a very high level of achievement and in leadership positions. Just showing up to debate club once a week wouldn't be suitable for example - they would want to see you captain your debate team to a regional/county/national championship for example. Likewise just playing X sport or instrument by itself isn't usually sufficient, as they want to see you have engaged in leadership roles through that and distinguished yourself on at least a regional level.

This in contrast to the UK system where it's usually sufficient to demonstrate excellent grades in just relevant subjects to your proposed area of study, and where extracurricular activities are usually seen more as a bonus and aren't specifically required or expected (and where for Oxford and Cambridge they are only really interested in activities you've done specifically related to your proposed area of study). Also bear in mind in the US you don't apply to a specific subject of study from the start, you just apply to the university "in general" and then when admitted you are required to take a range of courses across different areas before declaring your major (and often still take some outside of your field after declaring your major). Note even if you know what you want to study you still need to take these courses (called general education requirements). So if you want to study nothing but computer science and maths, in the US you will also need to take classes in literature, history, social sciences etc.

Note that most of the Ivies to my knowledge are commited to meeting all demonstrated financial need, and several (if not all) are need blind, which means a) they will make offers without regard for how much they would need to pay to get you to study there and b) they will cover all costs needed for you to study there based on their calculation beyond your ability to afford it. That said it's worth noting for b) they will calculate a "family contribution" and you will be expected to pay that amount of it yourself (this is based on your family income). However they generally cover the rest. So finance wise there is less of an issue aside from travel costs (potentially also other extraneous costs too, like health insurance as there is no state/national healthcare in the US).

Thank you so much, this is very helpful advice
Just keep in mind it is very hard to get in, only 24 people in Harvard's freshman class were from the UK this year. https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2023/3/31/admissions-decisions-2027/

So just bear that in mind, you really need to be a leader or exceptional to be admitted. Simply checking the boxes isn't enough.
Reply 5

It's easy to attend the likes of Harvard. You just have to stump up the $80k+ plus expenses per year to attend.

I would question why you want to go. Does Harvard or other Ivy League colleges offer something you can't obtain elsewhere cheaper?

Attending for prestige alone is a recipe for a very expensive disappointment.
Original post by hotpud
It's easy to attend the likes of Harvard. You just have to stump up the $80k+ plus expenses per year to attend.

I would question why you want to go. Does Harvard or other Ivy League colleges offer something you can't obtain elsewhere cheaper?

Attending for prestige alone is a recipe for a very expensive disappointment.

To be fair, Harvard is really prestigious, so many people worldwide have heard of Harvard and they know the brand name. In many social circles you'd be treated much better...
Reply 7
Original post by justlearning1469
To be fair, Harvard is really prestigious, so many people worldwide have heard of Harvard and they know the brand name. In many social circles you'd be treated much better...

That's a good thought. So do you think people become well connected because they went to Harvard or do you think they come from wealthy, well connected families who can afford to send their children to Harvard?

I would suggest that if you don't have the inherited wealth or connections those you aspire to be like, you may well be better of seeking the skills and ability to be able to generate the wealth for yourself and with it the connections and influence you ultimately earn. Prestige of somewhere you went will not make you in the same way that eating in a 3* Micheline restaurant won't turn you into a 3* chef.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by hotpud
That's a good thought. So do you think people become well connected because they went to Harvard or do you think they come from wealthy, well connected families who can afford to send their children to Harvard?

I would suggest that if you don't have the inherited wealth or connections those you aspire to be like, you may well be better of seeking the skills and ability to be able to generate the wealth for yourself and with it the connections and influence you ultimately earn. Prestige of somewhere you went will not make you in the same way that eating in a 3* Micheline restaurant won't turn you into a 3* chef.

Both.

I mostly agree, although stronger unis would have better connections for you. There's a counterargument, it could be better to be exceptional in a decent uni than average/decent in an exceptional uni
Reply 9
Both.

I mostly agree, although stronger unis would have better connections for you.

True. But you are assuming the offspring of the rich and wealthy will take you under their wing and give you free access to the riches they have. What do you bring to the party? Plus, do you really want to move in those circles? It is pretty vulgar. You only have to look at our own government and how selfish they all are and in it for themselves to see just how horrendous wealth makes people.
Original post by hotpud
True. But you are assuming the offspring of the rich and wealthy will take you under their wing and give you free access to the riches they have. What do you bring to the party? Plus, do you really want to move in those circles? It is pretty vulgar. You only have to look at our own government and how selfish they all are and in it for themselves to see just how horrendous wealth makes people.

Good point.

Maybe not going for Oxbridge after all and me going for a "worse" uni might actually suit me better for Bachelors'

Yes
Good point.

Maybe not going for Oxbridge after all and me going for a "worse" uni might actually suit me better for Bachelors'

Hang on. You are not hearing what I am saying at all. I have never suggested you should go to the worst university.

What I am suggesting is that if you do not plan on going into your dad or dad's mates law / accountancy / financial services company, you might find that employers are generally more interested in what skills and knowledge you have rather than which university you went to. So, by all means go to Harvard if you can afford it, but before going, make sure that they also offer lots of study skills, research skills, leadership training, and other related personal development courses on top of your degree because it is that that will get you a job, not a name at the top of your CV. I have not hired 1st degree grads from Cambridge simply because all they have is a degree certificate. In the interview they showed absolutely no aptitude for the job being offered.

The second thing to consider is do you need to go to university at all.... yet? If wealth and grandeur is on the cards for you, you would be much better off spending your time building a business and hopefully business empire than wasting your time / money in the hope of getting someone else to spend their money on your salary.
Original post by hotpud
Hang on. You are not hearing what I am saying at all. I have never suggested you should go to the worst university.

What I am suggesting is that if you do not plan on going into your dad or dad's mates law / accountancy / financial services company, you might find that employers are generally more interested in what skills and knowledge you have rather than which university you went to. So, by all means go to Harvard if you can afford it, but before going, make sure that they also offer lots of study skills, research skills, leadership training, and other related personal development courses on top of your degree because it is that that will get you a job, not a name at the top of your CV. I have not hired 1st degree grads from Cambridge simply because all they have is a degree certificate. In the interview they showed absolutely no aptitude for the job being offered.

The second thing to consider is do you need to go to university at all.... yet? If wealth and grandeur is on the cards for you, you would be much better off spending your time building a business and hopefully business empire than wasting your time / money in the hope of getting someone else to spend their money on your salary.

I see

In that case, I'd focus on those other things, not justt the degree.

I want to go to university, and get the degree, hopefullyl for more career opportunities
I see

In that case, I'd focus on those other things, not justt the degree.

I want to go to university, and get the degree, hopefullyl for more career opportunities

Brilliant. That is more like it. Decide what you want to do and then work backwards and if the only way to achieve your goal is going to Harvard, then go for it. But going to Harvard will not necessarily make you a success by default.

And do consider running your own business. I really wish I had had that advice when I was a school. Going to university is not the only way to be successful and university is always there later in life if you decide you want something different.
Original post by hotpud
Brilliant. That is more like it. Decide what you want to do and then work backwards and if the only way to achieve your goal is going to Harvard, then go for it. But going to Harvard will not necessarily make you a success by default.

And do consider running your own business. I really wish I had had that advice when I was a school. Going to university is not the only way to be successful and university is always there later in life if you decide you want something different.

PRSOM

I'll still go to a decent uni, although I could consider starting my own business once I got that degree
PRSOM

I'll still go to a decent uni, although I could consider starting my own business once I got that degree

Start your business now. Make it successful and then watch the money roll in whilst you indulge in studying for studying's sake.
Original post by hotpud
Start your business now. Make it successful and then watch the money roll in whilst you indulge in studying for studying's sake.

I'll see what I can do, in terms of business
I'll see what I can do, in terms of business

Follow this guy for inspiration and if you want it, help.
https://www.tiktok.com/discover/simon-squibb?lang=en
Good point.

My uncle when to Cambridge University he came from a council house in the North East and raised by a single father on and off benefits. He love his time at Cambridge he never meant any snobby and was head of men football team.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending