The Student Room Group

Can someone solve this step by step i have been stuck for hours thx!!!

May/June 2015 Paper-71
Question 2
Sami claims that he can read minds. He asks each of 50 people to choose one of the 5 letters A, B, C, D or E. He then tells each person which letter he believes they have chosen. He gets 13 correct. Sami says “This shows that I can read minds, because 13 is more than I would have got right if I were just guessing.”
(i) State null and alternative hypotheses for a test of Sami’s claim. [1]
(ii) Test at the 10% significance level whether Sami’s claim is justified. [5]
Okay, if you've been thinking about this question for hours, surely you could have written down something or have some ideas, right?
Mind if you share what you've done so far? (Incorrect answers welcome)

If you really can't write down anything, better consult your textbook for concept checks, worked examples or what not.

P.S. That said, I don't feel confident enough to help with stats, so... someone else please chime in.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by USER0033
May/June 2015 Paper-71
Question 2
Sami claims that he can read minds. He asks each of 50 people to choose one of the 5 letters A, B, C, D or E. He then tells each person which letter he believes they have chosen. He gets 13 correct. Sami says “This shows that I can read minds, because 13 is more than I would have got right if I were just guessing.”
(i) State null and alternative hypotheses for a test of Sami’s claim. [1]
(ii) Test at the 10% significance level whether Sami’s claim is justified. [5]

As Tony said, what have you tried / what are you stuick with? The hypothesis statement should be similar to others in your textbook and for ii) which distribution are you dealing with (there are not many) ....
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest