The Student Room Group

Where did i go wrong - connected particals a level maths mechanics

Screenshot 2023-04-05 9.49.13 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-05 9.48.50 AM.png did an alternative way to the mark scheme but does my way have the potential to get the right answer? If so where did I go wrong?
(edited 1 year ago)
Looks like you did it a similar way, but have cos(30)=1/2 when youve combined the equations. There may be other typos, but its easy to check with the model solution as the numbers are similar and this one wasn't hard to spot? Also you could have cancelled g as soon as T was eliminated etc ...

As an observation, rather than taking T over in the original 2 equations, then combining, then subtracting / elmininating, it would be easier just to add the original two equations? There is no need to have everything = 0 as you want to eliminate T then put m on one side and constants on the other. Aim to get stuff done as simply/efficiently/correctly as possible.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Thanks I have the right answer now
Original post by mqb2766
Looks like you did it a similar way, but have cos(30)=1/2 when youve combined the equations. There may be other typos, but its easy to check with the model solution as the numbers are similar and this one wasn't hard to spot? Also you could have cancelled g as soon as T was eliminated etc ...

As an observation, rather than taking T over in the original 2 equations, then combining, then subtracting / elmininating, it would be easier just to add the original two equations? There is no need to have everything = 0 as you want to eliminate T then put m on one side and constants on the other. Aim to get stuff done as simply/efficiently/correctly as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest