The Student Room Group

Mature applicant wanting to apply for medicine

Hi,

I'm 30 years old and interested in changing careers and becoming a doctor.

I was just looking for advice/information on which universities I'd be eligible to apply to.

I achieved a 2:2 in BSc Mathematics several years ago, and I've been working since. My GCSEs from school were mostly A*s and As, with a couple of Bs. But I achieved a C in English language. In my A-levels I got A*/As in Maths,Further Maths and Chemistry but only a B in Biology.

Which universities would I be eligible to apply to? Will I be able to apply for both A101 and A100? Would I be considered for a foundation year?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
your life sounds depressing
Reply 2
Original post by burnsofiercely
your life sounds depressing

don't say that - there's nothing depressing about the original post
Reply 3
Original post by Medicament1
Hi,

I'm 30 years old and interested in changing careers and becoming a doctor.

I was just looking for advice/information on which universities I'd be eligible to apply to.

I achieved a 2:2 in BSc Mathematics several years ago, and I've been working since. My GCSEs from school were mostly A*s and As, with a couple of Bs. But I achieved a C in English language. In my A-levels I got A*/As in Maths,Further Maths and Chemistry but only a B in Biology.

Which universities would I be eligible to apply to? Will I be able to apply for both A101 and A100? Would I be considered for a foundation year?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I believe @GANFYD @Medpapa may be able to help
Reply 4
i hope this pdf helps
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2951/entry-requirements-document-2023-entry.pdf

I believe you may have to take the UCAT exam maybe the GAMSAT but I don't think so - before applying remember to email the uni to ask if they will let you apply (you may want to tell them your situation a little ) you don't want to get auto-rejected
Reply 5
Original post by isa04
I believe @GANFYD @Medpapa may be able to help

There are no A100 courses that directly accept a 2:2, I'm afraid, nor the A104/Foundation ones, afaik.
If you have been out of education long enough, then Plymouth do not look at degree at all and just rank people on GAMSAT for their A100
For GEM, Nottingham will accept this and Warwick, Swansea, SGUL, Ulster and Worcester will accept it if you have a Masters or PhD. All require the GAMSAT, which is degree level science, so they use this to determine if you have the sort of knowledge and potential they are looking for.
You would have to check if they wanted you to resit your Eng Lang GCSE

Any other thoughts, @Medpapa?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Hi I'm in the same boat as you.
Since no uni takes 2:2, I took an Access to HE course alongside with the UCAT and applied to Exter and Bristol this year.
I will suggest you checking uni website for specific entry requirements or email their mature student office with your qualifications for suggestions.
All the best.
Reply 7
Original post by YuanG
Since no uni takes 2:2, I took an Access to HE course alongside with the UCAT and applied to Exter and Bristol this year.
I will suggest you checking uni website for specific entry requirements or email their mature student office with your qualifications for suggestions.
All the best.

good luck
Reply 8
Original post by YuanG
All the best.

As above, for GEM, Nottingham will accept a 2:2 and Warwick, Swansea, SGUL, Ulster and Worcester will accept it if you have a Masters or PhD
Reply 9
Original post by GANFYD
As above, for GEM, Nottingham will accept a 2:2 and Warwick, Swansea, SGUL, Ulster and Worcester will accept it if you have a Masters or PhD

my bad
Original post by YuanG
my bad

Mind you, Worcester do not seem to be able to make up their minds if they are taking Home applicants, so not been one to pin your hopes on the last couple of years!
Will Warwick, Swansea, SGUL, Ulster and Worcester accept any masters degree? Even if it’s with the Open University? Would an MBA count as a masters?
Original post by Medicament1
Will Warwick, Swansea, SGUL, Ulster and Worcester accept any masters degree? Even if it’s with the Open University? Would an MBA count as a masters?

You would have to check out the websites or contact admissions, but I don't see why not
Hey!

For all queries about entry requirements for Swansea's Graduate Entry Medicine Programme, the website is a great place to start your search. It is laid out quite clearly, and contains hyperlinks to pages for things such as alternative qualifications if they aren't mentioned in the standard entry requirements box. Hope that helps!

If you are eligible, I'd definitely recommend applying to Swansea. I'm Hope, one of the current second year GEM students and I absolutely love it! Here's a few reasons why:
- Early clincal exposure to patients, right from really early on in first year.
- Spiral curriculum: you don't just get taught something once and then get expected to remember it, you go back over concepts, building them up with layers of complexity as you go.
- Placements all over Wales, from Swansea right up to the top of North Wales. Great chance to explore Wales whilst studying and to experience different health boards.
- LOCS: Learning Opportunities in a Clinical Setting. Essentially a database of half day placement opportunities which you can choose from depending on your interests e.g., psychiatry in the prison, labour ward night shifts, trauma surgery etc. The opportunities are endless.
- Friendly, community feel with a small(ish) year size. This friendliness applies to the lecturers/clinicians too, they're lovely!
- The stunning beaches and surroundings!

Those are just a few of my favourite reasons, but there are so many more. I am currently on my second degree at Swansea, so there must be something pretty amazing about it :smile:

Hope - Swansea Student Ambassador and Second Year Graduate Entry Medicine Student.
Hi guys, I just wanted to circle back to my original post here on TSR to let you know that I got an offer for GEM from my first choice university! It's my first time ever applying to do medicine so I am over the moon! If you have a 2:2 in your undergrad degree, it's not the end of the world. I managed to do it and so can you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending