The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by krisabash
Im doing un sac de billes! I'm quite scared i feel like they ask really hard questions for that one

Yea I'm scared for Billes also.
I don't feel like I know the entirety of the story that well - I always use the same points in my essays.
Do you have any ideas what sort of questions they might ask this year?
Reply 41
Both of them?
Original post by katea123
i do it !
Reply 42
Original post by Jeparlepas
If they ask a technique related question for ARLE I'm going to kms istg. PLEASE just be some stupid julien and jean or joseph question or something

I doubt they will but I wouldn't mind that - the techniques are all quite obvious and I use the same ones every time.
I'm not that worried about ARLE compared to Un sac de billes - I'm sh*tting myself for that question
Reply 43
Original post by Rhys_M
Yea I'm scared for Billes also.
I don't feel like I know the entirety of the story that well - I always use the same points in my essays.
Do you have any ideas what sort of questions they might ask this year?

Honestly no clue i was hoping someone on here would help me out haha. Though I have noticed they seem to ask about relationships between characters
Reply 44
Original post by Jeparlepas
Constant sexualisation of women as a medium for the boys to express their adolescent desires:
1) On the first day back at the pensionnat in the dormitory when the boys are looking at a picture of a woman and they're all talking about her body ("Elle est vachement bien roulée") and Julien goes even further and says ("Elle a meme pas de nichons"). Thought that was super gross.
2) After the first meal when the guys are bullying Joseph but somehow it ends up as them insulting each other's girlfriends + sisters but making fun of their looks or calling them a slut.
3) The whole piano teacher ordeal. The boys staring at her figure and talking about her body the entire time. During the movie projection scenes Francois keeps kissing her even though she's clearly trying to stop him from doing that.

Francois slut shames his mother (in the infirmary after the treasure chase incident) and you'd think that the director would not want to have scenes slut shaming his mother in his semi autobiography but no.

My teacher seems to think Louis Malle put all this in the play to show the treatment of women in the war and to accurately show how the boys acted back then and I see why people can think that. I just personally think it's a bit sexist. It can be seen either way I suppose.

thank you very much! my class only focused on major themes so fo us this was glazed over but this is very insightful.
Reply 45
Original post by Rhys_M
Both of them?

yup
Reply 46
Original post by katea123
yup

Oh nice, I'm not overly worried for Au revoir les enfants but I'm terrified for Billes
Reply 47
Ik it’s quite difficult to predict for this paper but does anyone have any predictions for L’étranger and/or La Haine? I’m hoping for social exclusion or techniques or anything to do with violence for La Haine as I definitely could write a lot about them
Reply 48
Can someone predict possible questions for au revoir les enfants , No et moi pls? thank you x
does anyone have last years questions for this paper (in spec L'étranger or entre les murs)
Reply 50
could you use "intimité" do describe emotional closeness of brothers, or is that more like intimacy like between partners. and is proximité physical closeness or could i use it emotionally?
Reply 51
Original post by beefreya
could you use "intimité" do describe emotional closeness of brothers, or is that more like intimacy like between partners. and is proximité physical closeness or could i use it emotionally?

a 'close friend' is un(e) ami(e) intime, so I am assuming that you probably can use l'initimité for platonic closeness too
Reply 52
Original post by caitlin0707
I do Sac de Billes and Un Long Dimanche de Fiançailles (haven't seen any other schools who even do this film haha), any predictions? I know for Sac de Billes, not including last yrs bc I haven't seen that paper, there have been plenty of questions about Jo and also a couple on both brothers together. Obviously they are the protagonists but they haven't asked a theme question for a while...

Really weird... I do the exact same ones and I thought no-one else did ULDDF. (I do Edexcel tho, just looking on here to see any tips.)
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 53
Does anyone know the 2022 questions for l’etranger & la haine?? Xx
Reply 54
How are you guys revising for l'étranger?
There's the Edexcel paper 2 French thread here by the way: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7362359
Reply 56
Original post by averagebirdw
does anyone have last years questions for this paper (in spec L'étranger or entre les murs)

sorry if this is late lmao but I did this paper in my mock
1. « Dans L’étranger, Camus, à travers son personnage principal, lance une attaque contre la foi chrétienne. » Dans quelle mesure, à votre avis, ce jugement est-il valable ?
or
Analysez dans quelle mesure Meursault est condamné pour ce qu’il est, plutôt que pour le meurtre qu’il a commis.

Dans quelle mesure est-ce que ce film nous donne une représentation réaliste de la scolarité française contemporaine ?
or
« Il est difficile d’avoir de la sympathie pour Monsieur Marin dans ce film. » Dans quelle mesure êtes-vous d’accord avec ce jugement ?
How many paragraphs for the essays is it best to write? cause we only get around 50 mins for each essay...
Reply 58
Original post by curiousgeorge28
How many paragraphs for the essays is it best to write? cause we only get around 50 mins for each essay...

I've always done an intro, 3 main paras and then a conclusion, so 5
Reply 59
Original post by curiousgeorge28

According to my french teacher, the best way to get high marks is to make six small points, and make sure you back each one up. Three strong points would be equally acceptable if you can't think of so many, as the person above said, but the short separate paras prevent you getting tangled up in too complex grammar when tying your points together.

You get an hour per essay (inc. choosing a question, planning and checking) so I recommend spending 5mins choosing your q and planning, then 40mins writing (5 mins for intro, 5mins per short para, 5 mins to conclude). That should leave you 15mins to check through each essay, so there's some spare time if you overrun on any paras.

Each para will probably look something like this:
- Topic sentence
- Expand on main idea
- Example from text/film
- Connect to essay title
(edited 10 months ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending