The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by c3lisse
sorry if this is late lmao but I did this paper in my mock
1. « Dans L’étranger, Camus, à travers son personnage principal, lance une attaque contre la foi chrétienne. » Dans quelle mesure, à votre avis, ce jugement est-il valable ?
or
Analysez dans quelle mesure Meursault est condamné pour ce qu’il est, plutôt que pour le meurtre qu’il a commis.

Dans quelle mesure est-ce que ce film nous donne une représentation réaliste de la scolarité française contemporaine ?
or
« Il est difficile d’avoir de la sympathie pour Monsieur Marin dans ce film. » Dans quelle mesure êtes-vous d’accord avec ce jugement ?

these questions are amazing
they better be this easy tomorrow
Original post by BarnabyK
While this is definitely a good response, I think the "family" question is too reaching for most candidates (given it appears that a significant number on this very thread haven't even read/watched their works in full (or at all))

IMO, anything within that subset would focus on the presence or lack thereof, of adults and their forced passage into the adult world. Alternatively, the development of independence (Jo particularly - I think this was an edexcel question one year).

i think it's an extremely sweeping generalisation to say that lots of people on this thread haven't read or watched their texts / film?
Reply 82
Original post by alan_thebalan
you actually drew a map of their journey in france, thats kind of incredible

yh i'm like a four year old and need pictures to remember stuff haha
Original post by amelialbm
Is there always one theme & one character question? I’ve only done themes essays for la haine rather than characters

nope im pretty sure it can be a real mix of different question types - for la haine in the past there's been questions based on a statement, a quote from the film, its settings, its characters, its themes, and director's methods

also im pretty sure i recognise you from the ocr english literature threads, and i remember that the questions for Shakespeare for Paper 1 AS were always one theme and one character, so maybe that's where you got the idea from - i definitely thought it would be that way for the longest time too
Reply 84
does anyone have good quotes for usdb
Reply 85
I'm honestly a bit lost with this paper because it's so hard to predict :colonhash: I've got some key quotes, made a timeline of key events and made essay plans, is there anything else you guys think would be good to do to be better prepared??
Reply 86
Original post by Badoobee
I'm honestly a bit lost with this paper because it's so hard to predict :colonhash: I've got some key quotes, made a timeline of key events and made essay plans, is there anything else you guys think would be good to do to be better prepared??

probably just grammar haha
Reply 87
Original post by beefreya
probably just grammar haha

Ah oki I will go over that, thank you!!!
Reply 88
Original post by beefreya
does anyone have good quotes for usdb

"C'est quoi un juif?"- Quotation demonstrating the internal lack of understanding of Joffo about his true identity at the beginning of the book, can be easily linked at the end to "Joseph Joffo, je suis Juif", throughout the book, Joffo learns more about himself and his Jewish identity.

"C'en était fait de l'enfance."- Short phrase at the end of the third chapter (With the first three being relatively short in length anyway) to show how his childhood left him so fast.

"Un frère est quelqu'un à qui on rend la dernière bille..." - Idea of dominance between the two brothers, that gradually phases out as the boys grow up throughout the book. It shows the initial lack of maturity from Jo.

Linked with "C'est vrai . J'ai grandi"- Final sentence of book, showing that over the time period of this book, Joseph himself has grown up, and the fact that he completes the final part of the journey alone shows he no longer needs his big brother.

"Mon étoile. Pour un sac de billes. Ce fut ma première affaire."- Quotation demonstrating the lack of understanding of Joseph towards his Jewish identity, that he thinks he can simply trade it for toys. Furthermore, we don't really hear much more about the marbles later on, and this quote is particularly emphasised by the title of the book. Therefore, it can be seen almost as a rite of passage into adulthood.

"Hitler aura été plus cruel que le Tsar russe" - The direct contrast between the story of their father and the two boys demonstrates the heart wrenching nature of the story, that the boys effectively are repeating history, directly underlining the clear antisemitism present in global society at that point. This also shows that due to their newfound maturity, the boys have finally understood the traumatic journey of their father.

"Vous étiez avec moi comme tous les enfants du monde"- A quote from the priest on the train to Dax at the start of the book. This demonstrates the nature of good in people throughout the book. Furthermore, it links with how Christians in general (And religious people in general as shown by the Curé du Buffa) protected the Jewish community during World War 2, and how the brothers experienced it.

"Merde. La mer" - Demonstrates the adventurous nature of the book. Even though they were fleeing the persecution of the Nazis, at this point the boys had completely no idea about the dangers and consequences of the Nazis , and so being city boys so to speak, seeing the beautiful sea causes them to be in awe.

"Ou allez fous bedide garzon?"- The deliberately mocking accent is to mimic the French that German soldiers spoke , a slightly humorous quote which once again shows the boys don't understand anything about the situation. Furthermore, it is foreshadowing , as very soon , they will end up the hotel excelsior, the most menacing and dangerous part of the whole book.
Reply 89
are we allowed to write in the question booklet, as i was planning on rough planning in them so it is easier to see my thoughts when writing rather than having to flick through pages of the answer booklet?
Reply 90
Original post by 2ellsbells
are we allowed to write in the question booklet, as i was planning on rough planning in them so it is easier to see my thoughts when writing rather than having to flick through pages of the answer booklet?

i rough plan too and i think it’s okay to use the question booklet. my teacher said it was okay but suggested using the answer booklet more but we won’t be penalised for planning in QB!
Reply 91
What are the main themes for la haine?? I’ve done an essay on the representation of the banlieue, banlieue vs paris, the police, techniques & how the banlieue links to the character’s behaviour.
Reply 92
Original post by amelialbm
What are the main themes for la haine?? I’ve done an essay on the representation of the banlieue, banlieue vs paris, the police, techniques & how the banlieue links to the character’s behaviour.

That's good! Honestly most of it is about the social exclusion of the banlieue/cité from the rest of the society and how that influences and is shown by everything else in the film
Reply 93
Original post by caitlin0707
I do Sac de Billes and Un Long Dimanche de Fiançailles (haven't seen any other schools who even do this film haha), any predictions? I know for Sac de Billes, not including last yrs bc I haven't seen that paper, there have been plenty of questions about Jo and also a couple on both brothers together. Obviously they are the protagonists but they haven't asked a theme question for a while...

I do these two aswell praying for good questions
Original post by Rhys_M
I feel like I'm the only person doing Un Sac de Billes and Au Revoir les Enfants

im doing au revoir les enfants!
Reply 95
I don’t know why but I really feel like the question for Au Revoir Les Enfants will be character based on a single character like Pere Jean or like grouped together in a way that you can talk about multiple characters just because there’s been a lot of themes recently ! Bonne chance a tous!

edit : omg I was right it was about pere jean 🤪🤪
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 96
does anyone else not know a single quote or am i just screwed
Reply 97
Original post by softwd
does anyone else not know a single quote or am i just screwed

Quotes aren't necessary, just good to have as evidence and to reinforce points. As long as you're able to make inferences from scenes/ chapters ect u should be good 😊
Reply 98
Bonne chance à tous pour demain!
Original post by MiaElla
I don’t know why but I really feel like the question for Au Revoir Les Enfants will be character based on a single character like Pere Jean or like grouped together in a way that you can talk about multiple characters just because there’s been a lot of themes recently ! Bonne chance a tous!

I think they've asked about most of the themes they can possibly ask about already so yeah it might be a character/technique mix. I really hope they ask about multiple characters I don't know if I can talk about Pere Jean for a whole essay.

Latest

Trending

Trending