The Student Room Group

Best Unis for Biological Sciences

-Which university is better overall for Biological sciences- UCL or Imperial?
This includes the experience as a whole e.g. work load, modules, social life, job opportunities, accommodation.
-Would it be better to live out or commute if you live within an hour from both unis?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Hi! From what I've seen, both unis are more or less equal in terms of reputation and so job opportunities, but I do think the social life is better at UCL (I've heard it's not that great at Imperial but that's just a stereotype so don't take my word for it). You also meet a lot more different types of people since it's not only STEM focused, but at the same time, it is a lot larger so probably be harder to make friends. In terms of workload, Imperial is known for having a very intense workload, but I don't think UCL is that far off and students definitely do the opposite of slacking off since it would not maintain its high reputation otherwise. For modules I think you should probably check that yourself since that's up to personal taste and maybe there's something Imperial do more of that you really like. For accommodation, I think for any of the big london unis it kinda just depends on luck and booking fast enough, there's definitely good accom but again that's personal taste and also depends on whether you book in time, Imperial is in a pricier area so I'm guessing accom is also more expensive, but also most of them are a lot closer to the uni whereas UCL u might not be. But then again UCL is larger which means more accom which means more likely to find one you like? In terms of commuting, accom is good if u can afford it simply because it's easier to make friends and have a better social life rather than feeling like you're going school and home, and you feel more independent. I hope this was helpful lmao and good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by kamzuna
Hi! From what I've seen, both unis are more or less equal in terms of reputation and so job opportunities, but I do think the social life is better at UCL (I've heard it's not that great at Imperial but that's just a stereotype so don't take my word for it). You also meet a lot more different types of people since it's not only STEM focused, but at the same time, it is a lot larger so probably be harder to make friends. In terms of workload, Imperial is known for having a very intense workload, but I don't think UCL is that far off and students definitely do the opposite of slacking off since it would not maintain its high reputation otherwise. For modules I think you should probably check that yourself since that's up to personal taste and maybe there's something Imperial do more of that you really like. For accommodation, I think for any of the big london unis it kinda just depends on luck and booking fast enough, there's definitely good accom but again that's personal taste and also depends on whether you book in time, Imperial is in a pricier area so I'm guessing accom is also more expensive, but also most of them are a lot closer to the uni whereas UCL u might not be. But then again UCL is larger which means more accom which means more likely to find one you like? In terms of commuting, accom is good if u can afford it simply because it's easier to make friends and have a better social life rather than feeling like you're going school and home, and you feel more independent. I hope this was helpful lmao and good luck!

Thank you so much, i really appreciate it!! I still haven't gotten an offer from UCL, they're really taking their time for biological sciences, but if i do then i think i would lean towards UCL over imperial. The only thing with accommodation is that i don't mind commuting but i feel like id miss out on quite a lot if i have to leave early to go back home, but we'll see what happens :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by stitch_
Thank you so much, i really appreciate it!! I still haven't gotten an offer from UCL, they're really taking their time for biological sciences, but if i do then i think i would lean towards UCL over imperial. The only thing with accommodation is that i don't mind commuting but i feel like id miss out on quite a lot if i have to leave early to go back home, but we'll see what happens :smile:

well good luck I hope you get an offer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending