The Student Room Group

UK university i should select due to not knowing the cities environment.

Hi! I am an international student. I would like to ask how's the difference between these universities: (infrastructure of the cities, living cost as well as cultures.)

I actually got 4/5 offers back.
1) University of Manchester (Offer) - Biomedical Sciences
2) University of Glasgow (Offer) - Molecular & Cellular Biology
3) Newcastle University (Offer) - Biomedical Sciences
4) University of Birmingham (Offer) - Biological Sciences
5) University of Edinburgh (Have not been offered yet) - Biological Sciences

If you guys happen to live in these cities, do share more of your perspectives abt it. Thank you so much! It would be greatly appreciated.
All are great cities for students so you will have a good time wherever you go. For snob reasons, Edinburgh would be considered to be the best out of the ones you listed but that is just snobbery. Do you fancy a campus uni (like Birmingham) or a uni that is integrated into the city (like Manchester).

What do you really want to study, e.g. cell biology is very different from biomedical sciences which is different from biological sciences.
Reply 2
Original post by mike23mike
All are great cities for students so you will have a good time wherever you go. For snob reasons, Edinburgh would be considered to be the best out of the ones you listed but that is just snobbery. Do you fancy a campus uni (like Birmingham) or a uni that is integrated into the city (like Manchester).

What do you really want to study, e.g. cell biology is very different from biomedical sciences which is different from biological sciences.

Hi thank you for the insights. I actually liked all the campus layouts, but I can’t decide which is better suited from me😳 Yes, I am actually interested in specifically gene therapy, biotechnology and molecular biology! So actl I did look into the subject modules taught in these 5 university before selecting the applications to ucas. All 5 seems to have some of these taught!

Once again thank you for taking time to read and reply my post☺️
Reply 3
Have a look on You Tube for 'tourist films' for each city, and the Open Day or Campus Tour films for each Uni.
This will give you a good idea of what everything looks like and what there is to do in each city.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Have a look on You Tube for 'tourist films' for each city, and the Open Day or Campus Tour films for each Uni.
This will give you a good idea of what everything looks like and what there is to do in each city.

Thank you so much for the helpful thread✌🏻👍🏻 I will check it out :smile: have a nice weekend!
Original post by Ervina
Thank you so much for the helpful thread✌🏻👍🏻 I will check it out :smile: have a nice weekend!

Birmingham and Manchester are very large multi cultural cities. Glasgow is also a huge city butI dont know how multi cultural it is. Edinburgh is a smaller city and is supposed to be very nice but again I dont know how multi cultural it will be. Newcastle smaller still and isnt anywhere as near multicultural as Birmingham
Reply 6
Original post by Ervina
Hi! I am an international student. I would like to ask how's the difference between these universities: (infrastructure of the cities, living cost as well as cultures.)

I actually got 4/5 offers back.
1) University of Manchester (Offer) - Biomedical Sciences
2) University of Glasgow (Offer) - Molecular & Cellular Biology
3) Newcastle University (Offer) - Biomedical Sciences
4) University of Birmingham (Offer) - Biological Sciences
5) University of Edinburgh (Have not been offered yet) - Biological Sciences

If you guys happen to live in these cities, do share more of your perspectives abt it. Thank you so much! It would be greatly appreciated.

They are all in the North so will be colder and wetter - Scotland has a lot of snow in the winter,
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
Birmingham and Manchester are very large multi cultural cities. Glasgow is also a huge city butI dont know how multi cultural it is. Edinburgh is a smaller city and is supposed to be very nice but again I dont know how multi cultural it will be. Newcastle smaller still and isnt anywhere as near multicultural as Birmingham

Thank you for the information! I really appreciate you for taking the time to reply to the thread I posted :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
They are all in the North so will be colder and wetter - Scotland has a lot of snow in the winter,

Thank you for the information! Haha, my country has only one season, And it's super hot!!!
Reply 10

Omg, thank you so much for all the information! I will check it out! I really appreciate all your effort :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Ervina
Thank you for the information! Haha, my country has only one season, And it's super hot!!!

I'm surprised you did not look at more southerly unis!
Original post by Ervina

Glasgow and Edinburgh will be the coldest followed by Newcastle, Manchester and Birmingham which will the least cold.
Reply 13
I'm surprised you did not look at more southerly unis!

haha opps
Reply 14
Original post by swanseajack1
Glasgow and Edinburgh will be the coldest followed by Newcastle, Manchester and Birmingham which will the least cold.

I see that's great info! Thank you so much:smile:
Reply 15

Birmingham is in the Midlands. Usually Northeners say we are south and Southeners say we are North. Lol.
Reply 16
Original post by CathyC37
Birmingham is in the Midlands. Usually Northeners say we are south and Southeners say we are North. Lol.

It is still colder than the south!
Reply 17
It is still colder than the south!

I agree with you there. Birmingham is a great city though. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by CathyC37
I agree with you there. Birmingham is a great city though. :smile:

I'm not a fan ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending