The Student Room Group

Health

Does anyone know what this is, I feel really tired (maybe because I didn’t sleep on the day of my flight which was yesterday) but I over thought this sensation and I got so scared something will happen eg falling idk why any advice. Maybe it was a panic attack idk but it was so so bad I got so drowsy in the moment until I stopped panicking
Reply 1
Overthinking physical or mental symptoms to the point that in itself causes you a problem is likely "health anxiety". It is really common and happens to a lot of people, especially when they get sensations related to chest pain, breathing or headaches because those with health anxiety will usually disregard occams razor and jump straight to chest pain = heart attack or dizziness = brain tumour.

There isn't too much that can be done for it other than to practice some mindfulness techniques when you get anxious about these things, you might be able to try a beta-blocker like propranolol if you get a lot of physical anxiety symptoms (palpitations, hyperventilating, shaking, sweating etc.) that then exacerbate health anxiety.
Original post by J_A_L_S
Overthinking physical or mental symptoms to the point that in itself causes you a problem is likely "health anxiety". It is really common and happens to a lot of people, especially when they get sensations related to chest pain, breathing or headaches because those with health anxiety will usually disregard occams razor and jump straight to chest pain = heart attack or dizziness = brain tumour.

There isn't too much that can be done for it other than to practice some mindfulness techniques when you get anxious about these things, you might be able to try a beta-blocker like propranolol if you get a lot of physical anxiety symptoms (palpitations, hyperventilating, shaking, sweating etc.) that then exacerbate health anxiety.

thank you so much for your response, it makes me a little bit relieved knowing that it is anxiety and not something physical

Quick Reply

Latest