The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by student_2410
I think it might be beneficial to take a break from past papers for a bit and do targeted practice on the topics you tend to lose marks on. Look at the papers you have done and list the topics you struggle with. Then try exam questions for these specific topics. When you feel more confident try another past paper and see how you do.

i'll try that, thank you
hi does anyone have the 2022 chemistry papers or mark schemes? thank you : )
I found this video by primrose kitten is this all the AQA content and is it enough to get me a B along with some practise questions by watching this can I understand all the questions I'll be presented with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJQNjGyMOe8
Original post by med2023
hello, i just wanted to come here as a last resort since I've felt overwhelmed and alone. paper 1 chemistry is in under 12 days and my last 2 grades this year have been Us in chemistry. i understand it is looking helpless at this stage but i am genuinely struggling with what to do and how to approach this as i have less time by the day and more to cover. i'm struggling to learn and also practice all the content whilst also having to do the same for my other 2 subjects at the same time. it has started to effect my mental being as well now and i would really love to hear how anyone would deal with revision if they have had to go from a U to something a lot higher and only had 12 days to make turn around. i can not turn back time at this stage and have noone to blame but myself but i do really want any advice i can get to try and save my future. thank you <3

Hey, I hope you’re feeling better! I really know how you feel bc I was in your place last year. One of the best things you can do is spending some time learning the mechanisms and reagents, as well as the general inorganic equations that you are just supposed to memorise. Last year I did this and even if I didn’t fully understand them, it gave me marks in the exam.
Reply 84
Original post by studybug531
Hey, I hope you’re feeling better! I really know how you feel bc I was in your place last year. One of the best things you can do is spending some time learning the mechanisms and reagents, as well as the general inorganic equations that you are just supposed to memorise. Last year I did this and even if I didn’t fully understand them, it gave me marks in the exam.

I find that the hardest tho tbh there’s so much to me memorise especially aqueous ions and transition metals and all the reagents and conditions! How are y’all memorising this?? Pls help 😭😭🙏🙏
Original post by JJ <3
I find that the hardest tho tbh there’s so much to me memorise especially aqueous ions and transition metals and all the reagents and conditions! How are y’all memorising this?? Pls help 😭😭🙏🙏

repetition
Reply 86
Original post by bigplongus
repetition

Did u have any tricks or just pure memorising?
Reply 87
Original post by JJ <3

If you do aqueous ions enough you notice patterns
(edited 10 months ago)
this is a kinda silly question but when drawing graphs how do you know which value goes where like on x vs y axis
Reply 89
Original post by flora14
this is a kinda silly question but when drawing graphs how do you know which value goes where like on x vs y axis

The independent variable goes on X axis
The dependent variable goes on Y axis.

just think of it like the Y axis line needs to be supported by the x axis one so its dependent, and the X axis line can just be alone without support so its independent
wai t could you give an example please thanks :smile:
Original post by RedFoxyyy
The independent variable goes on X axis
The dependent variable goes on Y axis.

just think of it like the Y axis line needs to be supported by the x axis one so its dependent, and the X axis line can just be alone without support so its independent
Original post by flora14
wai t could you give an example please thanks :smile:

Suppose you are performing the experiment in which you plot a temperature-time graph to extrapolate ΔT in order to find the enthalpy change.

On the x-axis, you plot the time. This is because you decide on the increments of time used in the experiment, so it is the independent variable.

On the y-axis, you record the temperature of the solution. This is because this variable changes with the time elapsed, so it is the dependent variable.
Original post by JJ <3
Did u have any tricks or just pure memorising?

aqueous ions , reagants and its conditions and the mechanisms are mainly learnt through repetition to memorise them, then exam questions to be able to answer the questions
hi, for this question I got everything except the bit with multiplying L. In these questions sometimes you multiply and sometimes divide and im always confused about it,,

Is the mass that I worked out in g the mass for 1 particle of Q so you times by L to get the mass for 1mole?

How do I tell when to divide and when to multiply? Is there any equation I can learn to make this more easy? Thank you!! D65B72EE-FB53-49C2-9263-096BD4DF4D14.jpeg9C7D56B8-8603-4002-AB54-C7833B517BAA.jpeg
Reply 94
Original post by studybug531
hi, for this question I got everything except the bit with multiplying L. In these questions sometimes you multiply and sometimes divide and im always confused about it,,

Is the mass that I worked out in g the mass for 1 particle of Q so you times by L to get the mass for 1mole?

How do I tell when to divide and when to multiply? Is there any equation I can learn to make this more easy? Thank you!! D65B72EE-FB53-49C2-9263-096BD4DF4D14.jpeg9C7D56B8-8603-4002-AB54-C7833B517BAA.jpeg

divide by L to find the mass of a single ion (like at the start of tof when you divide by L and 1000 to find the mass)
this question works backwards so you multiply by 1000 and L to find the mass of the whole molecule
Reply 95
@med2023
my college gave us this, hopefully it will be useful to you and anyone else with cramming
https://snaprevise.co.uk/free-page/14435/A-level-Chemistry-Cheatsheet
Reply 96
could anyone help me with complex ions please
how do you know how many co ordinate bonds the metal can have?
it is based on the metal's outer shell electrons?
do we need to know how to name them? how do you name them ?
is it correct that the shape is based of number of different ligands not number of bonds?
how does the shape change for example if the ligand in a linear complex is monodentate compared with if its multidentate?
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by pk027
is it correct that the shape is based of number of different ligands not number of bonds?
how does the shape change for example if the ligand in a linear complex is monodentate compared with if its multidentate?

Ions can form bonds with 6 NH3 or H2O but only 4Cl- (larger ligand, so cannot accommodate more than 4). I don't believe we need to name them. Shape is based on coordination number (number of bonds) and different numbers of ligands as well as type of ligand. A complex ion can have the same coordination number but a different number of ligands because some are bidentate or multidentate eg only one EDTA can be accommodated because it forms 6 coordinate bonds itself. The example you've given at the bottom we wouldn't need to know. We're not required to recall specific changes in shape unless it's obvious via the number of ligands eg octahedral with 6 H2O to tetrahedral with 4 Cl- in a ligand substitution. I hope this is all correct but feel free to correct me. I hope this makes sense :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by med2023
hello, i just wanted to come here as a last resort since I've felt overwhelmed and alone. paper 1 chemistry is in under 12 days and my last 2 grades this year have been Us in chemistry. i understand it is looking helpless at this stage but i am genuinely struggling with what to do and how to approach this as i have less time by the day and more to cover. i'm struggling to learn and also practice all the content whilst also having to do the same for my other 2 subjects at the same time. it has started to effect my mental being as well now and i would really love to hear how anyone would deal with revision if they have had to go from a U to something a lot higher and only had 12 days to make turn around. i can not turn back time at this stage and have noone to blame but myself but i do really want any advice i can get to try and save my future. thank you <3

hey hun!! i did my chemistry a lvl last year and i managed to move from a D to 3 marks off an A within a few weeks, my best best advice to give you is make sure you know all of your calculations, formula, conversions etc, they looove putting in random units and if you dont convert you'll obv lose a mark or two, paper 1 focus on content, make sure u know everything, use pmt notes they summarise them well, paper 2 make sure you know ur organic chemistry, again use pmt they r lifesavers, i cant remember where acids n bases come up but bagging those marks will help sm too, learn the equations, practise questions etc, finally, transition metals, i know they're a bit eh but omds idk why aqa loves them, last yr i didnt rly know them so i missed out on my A but make sure u learn the colours etc, i cant think of anything more but a mindmap helps a lot with organic like connecting the organic pathways etc so u can visualise it in the exam with the reagents and the conditions
Reply 99
Original post by pk027

Ag+ complexes are linear
Pt2+ and Ni2+ complexes are square planar
Cl- are tetrahedral
Most complexes are octahedral so smaller ligands e.g NH3 ,H2O

Latest

Trending

Trending