The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Classical Civilisation - Myth & Religion [17th May 2023] Exam Chat

OCR GCSE Classical Civilisation - Myth & Religion (J199/11) - Wednesday 17th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: Wednesday 17th June 2023 / PM
Length: 1h 30m

Resources
Myth & The City - Foundation Stories : Greece, Athens
Heracles : Part 1
Heracles : Part 2
Heracles : Part 3
Death & Burial : Rome
Death & Burial : Greece
The Olympian Gods
Podcasts (all topics)
Reply 1
hii! i've left my revision rlly late and i basically know nothing for class.civ. does anyone have any tips on how they learn all the information because there is a LOT! of content or just resources in general honestly anything is better than nothing at this point?
Original post by cvpidd
hii! i've left my revision rlly late and i basically know nothing for class.civ. does anyone have any tips on how they learn all the information because there is a LOT! of content or just resources in general honestly anything is better than nothing at this point?

I suggest looking at the resources in the above post, they should be helpful.

Also do go through the textbook if you have it and make sure you familiar with all the pictures because you never know which visual sources you're going to be given. So make sure you can recognise all the temples, make sure you know things like the pediments, metopes, that you can recognise Augustus in statues, the Ara Pacis, all that sort of thing.

Flash cards are super useful but unless you've already made some it's definitely too late to start making those.
Just found another resource - you have to download it as it's a big file, but it's an extremely comprehensive revision guide for the exam next week:

https://www.lawrencemcnally.co.uk/myth-and-religion
Reply 4
Original post by cvpidd

i would also suggest using quizlets, as they help condense the information into smaller memorable chunks!
Good luck to everyone taking this exam today
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Good luck to everyone taking this exam today

How did it go for everyone?
Original post by letsnotfail?

My son said it was ok.

He forgot a few things on the 1 marker questions, like the name of Romulus and Remus' mother, and the names of the hills they intended to found Rome on.
He also got a bit muddled on the question asking what was wrong with the metope of the Augean Stables (he started talking about the composition of space, but he should've just said that Athena wasn't meant to be present.)

But it sounds as though he did okay with most of the rest. He said the longer question (8 marker I think) was on how heroic Theseus was, and the 15 marker was on something like whether or not the Greeks liked to put on festivals more for fun or for worshipping the gods (he concluded both, apparently).

Roll on next week for paper 2 now. I'll make a thread for that this evening.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
He also got a bit muddled on the question asking what was wrong with the metope of the Augean Stables (he started talking about the composition of space, but he should've just said that Athena wasn't meant to be present.)

I... do not remember that question... at all, which is worrying. I remember the source? Definitely didn't give that answer... huh.

anyway.... I thought it went pretty well, to be honest. It seemed like a very nice paper, to me. I was frantically preparing for Plutarch (given that it hasn't come up, recently), and getting that would have made me cry. Very happy that wasn't there.

The Heracles questions I was very happy with, I find the 1/2mk qs on him very difficult (I started this course in September, so I struggle with little facts mostly because they haven't been beaten into me over three years). The ones we did get seemed generous with a pretty basic knowledge around the stories.

I got to the 15mk with 30mins, which I was pretty happy with. Didn't write quite as much as I would've hoped (two and a half pages). Chose the Hymn to Demeter/Metamorphoses question, which I ended up regretting... eh, ten minutes before the end😁. Ended up writing about the context of Metamorphoses (some stuff about how it's not designed to be tragic or something, I made it work in the exam...), which I'm now stressing might not get credited, which is annoying.

Overall, not too bad?
Onward to p2, The Homeric World for me! Anyone doing anything different?
A little scared for this one, worried they'll make it disproportionally hard to make up for this one...

Best of luck with that one, everyone! We'll be all done before the half term!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
My son said it was ok.

He forgot a few things on the 1 marker questions, like the name of Romulus and Remus' mother, and the names of the hills they intended to found Rome on.

But it sounds as though he did okay with most of the rest. He said the longer question (8 marker I think) was on how heroic Theseus was, and the 15 marker was on something like whether or not the Greeks liked to put on festivals more for fun or for worshipping the gods (he concluded both, apparently).

Roll on next week for paper 2 now. I'll make a thread for that this evening.

I found the same! I am pretty sure I got those little Romulus and Remus questions wrong too, and that metope one was just confusing - I think I said some rubbish about it just being a frozen image that does not indicate anything about him...? Agh.
I really liked that Theseus one as well, I loved having a big go at him but I am worried that I maybe got a bit too carried away and near the end I think I kind of just start throwing insults at him and saying that he's got the brawn but not the brain etc.

I struggled with my time management a lot though, and for the 15 marker I wrote one kind of big paragraph on just one point and then did not have time for any more! Also I had a bit of a tough time with the 2 six markers of Source K and L, about Hercules being heroic, and the role of the gods in his life... I didn't find it hard to think of things to say exactly, but it was more that I had no idea how much I was expected to write, and had no idea how to elaborate on my points without saying the same thing again.

Overall I think it could have been way worse though, so... hurrah.
Original post by tlppi

A little scared for this one, worried they'll make it disproportionally hard to make up for this one...

Homeric World here as well (for my lad I mean). I'll put a thread up for that later. If anybody is doing anything different I'll have a look at the codes and put that / those up as well.

My son is great at the Odyssey but iffy with the Mycenaean stuff. There's a lot to remember for the Mycenaeans I reckon - all the Grave Circle stuff and the Linear Tablet B and all that shizzle.

Original post by greenthing
I really liked that Theseus one as well, I loved having a big go at him but I am worried that I maybe got a bit too carried away and near the end I think I kind of just start throwing insults at him and saying that he's got the brawn but not the brain etc.

I think Theseus is a bit thick really. He decided to go by land rather than by sea which would have been much safer, just because he wanted to do some labours like Heracles. I mean... who does that? And then the idiot forgot to change his flag and caused his dad's suicide. Kind of important. So yeah I'd agree with you there.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by tlppi
I... do not remember that question... at all, which is worrying. I remember the source? Definitely didn't give that answer... huh.

anyway.... I thought it went pretty well, to be honest. It seemed like a very nice paper, to me. I was frantically preparing for Plutarch (given that it hasn't come up, recently), and getting that would have made me cry. Very happy that wasn't there.

The Heracles questions I was very happy with, I find the 1/2mk qs on him very difficult (I started this course in September, so I struggle with little facts mostly because they haven't been beaten into me over three years). The ones we did get seemed generous with a pretty basic knowledge around the stories.

I got to the 15mk with 30mins, which I was pretty happy with. Didn't write quite as much as I would've hoped (two and a half pages). Chose the Hymn to Demeter/Metamorphoses question, which I ended up regretting... eh, ten minutes before the end😁. Ended up writing about the context of Metamorphoses (some stuff about how it's not designed to be tragic or something, I made it work in the exam...), which I'm now stressing might not get credited, which is annoying.

Overall, not too bad?

Best of luck with that one, everyone! We'll be all done before the half term!

omg yes! that paper was so good im so hapoy there wasnt any plutarch.
I actually really liked the paper - I was worried going into it but happy with how it turned out. This is what's funny though - I seemed to go in the opposite direction on the Theseus question. I was quite complimentary of him haha. Not too worried though - I backed up all my points well I think. I'm also doing homeric world, like OP's son I really like the odyssey part its just Mycenaean world I need to go over
Reply 13

i think it went much better than i expected! i did not feel very prepared for the exam but i did surprisingly okay. i think the roman section threw me off a bit because i didn't look at the myths and symbols of power for rome as much which unfortunately came up. somehow i did the 8 marker on the prima porta i have no idea how. the theseus 8 marker i think went really well and for the 15 marker i decided to do the homeric hymn to demeter vs orpheus and eurydice one which was an alright question in my opinion. i am so so glad plutarch didn't come and also festivals (although there was a choice to do it) i just don't really like the festivals topic at all because there is so much to it. next week is mycenaean world which i'm usually better at compared to myth and religion so fingers crossed!!
It's nice to hear that you were all quite happy with it. I hope next week's paper is just as kind!
Reply 15
i actually really enjoyed this paper! i panic revised roman symbols of power just before the exam, and though i was confident on the prima porta i was less so on the ara pacis - just glad it was only a couple of questions! the 8 and 15 markers were GORGEOUS and the sources were lovely - i think my huge amounts of revision really paid off as i felt confident on almost eveything!
Reply 16

I really liked that exam !
Reply 17
Original post by Mathsgirl888
I actually really liked the paper - I was worried going into it but happy with how it turned out. This is what's funny though - I seemed to go in the opposite direction on the Theseus question. I was quite complimentary of him haha. Not too worried though - I backed up all my points well I think. I'm also doing homeric world, like OP's son I really like the odyssey part its just Mycenaean world I need to go over

Do you remember any questions in the homeric world paper cux that paper might come out in my mocks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending