The Student Room Group

Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh (Is it good?)

Hi, I'm looking for books that would be useful in boosting my personal statement and i've come across Fermat's Last Theorem quite often. Was wondering if it would be particularly useful for my personal statement or if it is too generic and overused. It's on cambridge's reading list so I thought it may be useful as i'm planning to apply for Oxford, however it is likely to be incredibly oversaturated in personal statements. Do you have any other reading recommendations for a personal statement for maths? Thank you
Original post by Germanisdeadlol
Hi, I'm looking for books that would be useful in boosting my personal statement and i've come across Fermat's Last Theorem quite often. Was wondering if it would be particularly useful for my personal statement or if it is too generic and overused. It's on cambridge's reading list so I thought it may be useful as i'm planning to apply for Oxford, however it is likely to be incredibly oversaturated in personal statements. Do you have any other reading recommendations for a personal statement for maths? Thank you

I don't know about using it in personal statements, but can say that it's definitely worth a read :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Germanisdeadlol

Oxford maths department have a list of suggested reads in their prospectus. The FLT book is a good read, but it is very popular in nature and doesn't contain that much detail mathematically.
Original post by bl0bf1sh
I don't know about using it in personal statements, but can say that it's definitely worth a read :smile:

Okay thank you!
Original post by RichE
Oxford maths department have a list of suggested reads in their prospectus. The FLT book is a good read, but it is very popular in nature and doesn't contain that much detail mathematically.

Yeah i've decided to read it more for my own enjoyment now as I believe in terms of personal statements, it's probably quite oversaturated.

Quick Reply

Latest