The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Advanced Higher taken Early- Edinburgh University

Hello; I’m in S4 and taking Advanced Higher Maths two years early. However, Edinburgh university states maths qualifications must be taken no less than 2 years prior to entry. I’ll be sitting Advanced highers in Physics, Mechanics and Statistics (among others) in the following years to prove my retention of maths. Are there any other qualifications I could take to validate my application, or will I have to apply to other universities?
I took higher maths in S4 and advanced higher maths in S5. I’m currently taking advanced highers in mechanics, physics, and two other subjects in S6. I have an unconditional for comp sci from Edinburgh. I don’t know how it works if you’re two years ahead though. I’d contact admissions and ask.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
They will not accept maths qualifications taken more than 2 years prior to entry. I asked what alternative qualifications I could take; about 3 weeks later and still no reply hence the post

Original post by Blobfish12345
I took higher maths in S4 and advanced higher maths in S5. I’m currently taking advanced highers in mechanics, physics, and two other subjects in S6. I have an unconditional for comp sci from Edinburgh. I don’t know how it works if you’re two years ahead though. I’d contact admissions and ask.
Can you contact your local university and ask them if they can help in any way regarding extending your maths skills? Otherwise, I’m not sure. Perhaps the school has ill advised you to take these qualifications so early even if you’re capable.
Can you contact your local university and ask them if they can help in any way regarding extending your maths skills? Otherwise, I’m not sure. Perhaps the school has ill advised you to take these qualifications so early even if you’re capable.

I’ll try contacting a university or asking my teachers- I don’t blame the school considering it was me/my parents who pushed so hard to go ahead in maths, and sitting the qualifications was a natural consequence. Also, it’s only Edinburgh university who has this policy.
“Why don’t you not apply to Edinburgh?”
My plan is to apply to English universities (probably Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE) and two Scottish universities for second year entry (I can only find Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews offering this). Also, Edinburgh >= StA > Glasgow personally. Hence my wish to apply to Edinburgh.
Original post by coffeecroissant
I’ll try contacting a university or asking my teachers- I don’t blame the school considering it was me/my parents who pushed so hard to go ahead in maths, and sitting the qualifications was a natural consequence. Also, it’s only Edinburgh university who has this policy.
“Why don’t you not apply to Edinburgh?”
My plan is to apply to English universities (probably Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE) and two Scottish universities for second year entry (I can only find Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews offering this). Also, Edinburgh >= StA > Glasgow personally. Hence my wish to apply to Edinburgh.

Be careful about applying to all highly prestigious courses and not having a lower-regarded back up. Everything is so much more competitive now and stellar applicants with top grades are coming away with no offers.

I applied to Cambridge, St As, Edinburgh, Durham and Glasgow and got a post interview rejection from Cambridge, unconditional from Edinburgh, low offer from Durham and didn’t hear back from the other two and withdrew in April as I wanted to firm Edinburgh.

For context I had 7 highers band A1, 1 advanced higher band A1 (taken in S5) and 4A1s predicted this year for advanced highers. I had won international coding comps, received numerous awards and done loads of extra curricular stuff and thought I would have four or five quick offers especially as I go to a state school. This wasn’t the case.

Good luck!
Be careful about applying to all highly prestigious courses and not having a lower-regarded back up. Everything is so much more competitive now and stellar applicants with top grades are coming away with no offers.

I applied to Cambridge, St As, Edinburgh, Durham and Glasgow and got a post interview rejection from Cambridge, unconditional from Edinburgh, low offer from Durham and didn’t hear back from the other two and withdrew in April as I wanted to firm Edinburgh.

For context I had 7 highers band A1, 1 advanced higher band A1 (taken in S5) and 4A1s predicted this year for advanced highers. I had won international coding comps, received numerous awards and done loads of extra curricular stuff and thought I would have four or five quick offers especially as I go to a state school. This wasn’t the case.

Good luck!

That’s pretty terrifying- only thing I could possibly speculate is by extracurricular do you mean things not directly related to Computing?
Cambridge doesn’t really care about anything except the interview; the others are just whack.
I struggle to see how 40% (at least for Glasgow, if not more) could beat that application, to be honest.

Are there any coding competitions you’d recommend entering, and how might I begin?
Original post by coffeecroissant
That’s pretty terrifying- only thing I could possibly speculate is by extracurricular do you mean things not directly related to Computing?
Cambridge doesn’t really care about anything except the interview; the others are just whack.
I struggle to see how 40% (at least for Glasgow, if not more) could beat that application, to be honest.

Are there any coding competitions you’d recommend entering, and how might I begin?

I won the international coderdojo Competition. Also I entered Bebas and qualified for the Oxford Computing Challenge in which I got a merit. I was picked to be the (sole) ambassador for an huge international coding charity as well. I completed gold crest award outside school. Attended cyber first summer courses three years in a row. Selected for a funded place for Simon Singh’s maths masterclasses, etc….

Practically all my PS was related to maths and computing. I only had a sentence about my debating success and grade 8 piano. Just be careful where you pick to apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending