The Student Room Group

how relevant is 2022 advanced information for 2023 exams?

I came across the advanced information topic lists from last year's exams and they were written in order of importance. Just curious if the importance of those topics are likely to be seen in this year's exams too; or they may just be the most common topics that show up. Anyway, I just wanted to know if 2022 advanced information has any real value for exams this year or if they should just be ignored.

Thanks in advance!
There's no advance info for this year's exams I think
Original post by Talkative Toad
There's no advance info for this year's exams I think

I think they mean that the advanced info for last year the topics that came up are they likely to come up again or are they irrelevant is what they mean.
Original post by tr444cy
I came across the advanced information topic lists from last year's exams and they were written in order of importance. Just curious if the importance of those topics are likely to be seen in this year's exams too; or they may just be the most common topics that show up. Anyway, I just wanted to know if 2022 advanced information has any real value for exams this year or if they should just be ignored.

Thanks in advance!

2022 Advance information has very little relevance to 2023 exams. Even for the exams where it was accurate and useful in 2022, it simply lists the content that was contained in exam papers that had already been written. For some subjects like the pure maths papers of A level maths it's probably a basic list of the most commonly recurring topics (as they test a high proportion of the same topics every time).
Will some of the same topics come up this year? Yes, some topics are so fundamental to a subject that they regularly appear in exams.
Are there some topics in the list that won't appear this year? Probably.
Are there important topics that were not tested last year that could be on the exams this year? Almost definitely.
Original post by tr444cy

Thanks in advance!

Ignore it.

It wasn’t even great for some of the papers it was intended for last year, plus this year’s exams will likely assess other topics that didn’t come up last year.
Original post by 16bhatam
I think they mean that the advanced info for last year the topics that came up are they likely to come up again or are they irrelevant is what they mean.

Irrelevant/wouldn't use it for the exams.
Reply 6
ah thank you all! good luck for this year's exams!
Original post by TypicalNerd
Ignore it.

It wasn’t even great for some of the papers it was intended for last year, plus this year’s exams will likely assess other topics that didn’t come up last year.

Yeah I think some pupils and teachers/tutors last year for some exams complained about the advanced information being inaccurate/useless and would have preferred if pupils had been told what wasn't going to come up in last year's exams.
Famously, the aqa gcse physics advance info had a howler last year
https://www.aqa.org.uk/news/an-update-on-gcse-physics-higher-tier-paper-1
Original post by mqb2766
Famously, the aqa gcse physics advance info had a howler last year
https://www.aqa.org.uk/news/an-update-on-gcse-physics-higher-tier-paper-1

Always AQA messing up so I wasn't surprised when that happened.
Always AQA messing up so I wasn't surprised when that happened.

The kids were last year.
Original post by mqb2766
The kids were last year.

kids?
kids?

gcse students who took the exam. Or goats.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mqb2766
gcse students who took the exam. Or goats.

oh ok
Yeah I think some pupils and teachers/tutors last year for some exams complained about the advanced information being inaccurate/useless and would have preferred if pupils had been told what wasn't going to come up in last year's exams.

Having sat exams last year, I mostly ignored the advance info (turned out to be a wise idea). I would agree that your idea of listing topics that won’t be assessed is a preferable option, but for some subjects, it would give away too much imo.

I honestly don’t think anyone is really missing out on much if the quality of any advance information they expect to receive is of a similar calibre to that which was given out last year.
Original post by TypicalNerd
Having sat exams last year, I mostly ignored the advance info (turned out to be a wise idea). I would agree that your idea of listing topics that won’t be assessed is a preferable option, but for some subjects, it would give away too much imo.

I honestly don’t think anyone is really missing out on much if the quality of any advance information they expect to receive is of a similar calibre to that which was given out last year.
True.

Quick Reply

Latest