The Student Room Group

Confused about which uni to go to

I am an international student coming to the uk in fall 24 to study masters in advanced computer science. I have 12 offers but the ones I'm seriously considering are University of Manchester, University of Liverpool, University of Nottingham and Qmul. I will save about 15k if i pick liverpool over the other two. 1. Is paying close to 50k overall (for Manchester or qmul) worth it? ( Liverpool will be about 35k overall) 2. Will it lead to better job prospects than if i were to go to Liverpool. 3. How much do employers care about uni rankings and prestige since Manchester is way higher ranked and prestigious. I don't mind paying extra if it leads to substantially better career outcomes. Looking desparately for advice since I need to respond to my offers. Also have an offer from Kcl but that's completely unaffordable. How much does faang and big tech companies care about uni rankings. Will I be fine I go to any rg.
Reply 1
Original post by Naviisia
I am an international student coming to the uk in fall 24 to study masters in advanced computer science. I have 12 offers but the ones I'm seriously considering are University of Manchester, University of Liverpool, University of Nottingham and Qmul. I will save about 15k if i pick liverpool over the other two. 1. Is paying close to 50k overall (for Manchester or qmul) worth it? ( Liverpool will be about 35k overall) 2. Will it lead to better job prospects than if i were to go to Liverpool. 3. How much do employers care about uni rankings and prestige since Manchester is way higher ranked and prestigious. I don't mind paying extra if it leads to substantially better career outcomes. Looking desparately for advice since I need to respond to my offers. Also have an offer from Kcl but that's completely unaffordable. How much does faang and big tech companies care about uni rankings. Will I be fine I go to any rg.

RG isn't important for CS - it's the course you need to be focusing on.

Which prepares you better for the area you want to work in?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
RG isn't important for CS - it's the course you need to be focusing on.

Which prepares you better for the area you want to work in?

Tbh they're all very similar and offer the same modules. Manchester probably has the least variety tho, in terms of modules given id go QM then notts then manc then liv but my main concern is the employability and cost. Ive head a few banks can be elitist
Reply 3
Original post by Naviisia
Tbh they're all very similar and offer the same modules. Manchester probably has the least variety tho, in terms of modules given id go QM then notts then manc then liv but my main concern is the employability and cost. Ive head a few banks can be elitist

What field are you looking to go into? Many companies want experience ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending