The Student Room Group

Which universities for Comp Sci should I chose with AAA as an International student

I lived in the UK for 5 years and did my GCSE and A-level here, but I am considered International for fee purposes.
I have AAA predicted for Physics, Chemistry and Maths.

I plan on doing computer science in a good university and I seriously need help.

Can anyone suggest what universities I should put as my options? I have considered Warwick, Exeter, Surrey, Coventry Cardiff , Lancaster, Bristol.
Can anyone give me better 5 options, fees isnt the issue. The issue I only want to study at a good high-ranking uni, if not then I won't be going to university. I also think Loughborough but very confused. I want the RG group mostly if it matters or not.
(edited 4 months ago)
Firstly ignore the RG hype. It is meaningless and places like Lancaster and Loughborough are every bit as good.

As far as your choices go most leading universities will require an A* so look at those who dont. Warwick and Bristol have offers above your predictions so they will be risky options.

It is impossible to advise you on options as what suits one person doesnt another. Certainly places like Cardiff, Lancaster, Loughborough and Exeter are very good options whilst not in the top range. It might be worth looking into Liverpool as their grades sometimes dont require A*. Sheffield could be worth looking at and so could Reading and Swansea. Your best option might be to look through the Complete University Guide Computer Science table and work from there. Please though dont be a slave to its rankings as there is very little to choose in terms of standards and where you will be happiest is what really matters.
Original post by Ndaima
I lived in the UK for 5 years and did my GCSE and A-level here, but I am considered International for fee purposes.

I plan on doing computer science in a good university and I seriously need help.

Can anyone suggest what universities I should put as my options? I have considered Warwick, Exeter, Surrey, Coventry Cardiff , Lancaster, Bristol.
Can anyone give me better 5 options, fees isnt the issue. The issue I only want to study at a good high-ranking uni, if not then I won't be going to university. I also think Loughborough but very confused. I want the RG group mostly if it matters or not.

Hi @Ndaima,

When I was looking at what university I wanted to apply to I got hung up on university rankings and Russel Groups but since being at Loughborough I have realised that doesn't really matter if the course and the place itself suits you.

The reason I chose to study at Loughborough was not just because the course suited me best but because of the campus. The campus has such a great feel and has a great community feel. I personally preferred a campus university after having looked at others, as I liked everything being in one place.

I have finished my second year at Loughborough so can give you a bit of insight. The facilities on campus are amazing and there are so many opportunities to get involved in. From sport to societies and RAG there is such a variety to chose from.

Loughborough is very much a student town with lots to do on and off campus. I tend to spend weekdays on campus as there is lots going on. Weekends I usually go into town more where there are nice coffee shops, restaurants and bars. Although, Loughborough can't offer what big cities can offer, we sometimes get the train to Nottingham or Leicester, for a city atmosphere, which are both about 20 minutes away. We have a campus shuttle which runs every 10 minutes and also goes into town and to the train station which is very convenient.

Regarding studying computer science. I would recommend looking at this page here. This page gives lots of information about the course. If you scroll down to 'What you'll study' this breaks the course into each year and the modules that are on offer. I personally found this very useful as I could see exactly what I was going to study and compare this to other universities to see what suited me best.

I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions please do ask. 🙂

Alex
Original post by Ndaima

Hi @Ndaima
Nice to hear you considering Lancaster. I'm currently in my 3rd year studying Geography here, so unfortunately i cant advise on the specific computer science course, but i can say that i've thoroughly enjoyed my time at the university. The lectures and academic staff are really supporting and always willing to help, whether this be a particular module your finding hard, or for
advice on careers ect. there always more than willing to have a chat. In terms of picking the right university for you, maybe
look at what modules you can study on the course, as these will be different at different universities to see which interest you
the most.
Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 4
Not Coventry.
Reply 5
oxbridge .
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
Not Coventry.

Is it bad?
Reply 7
Original post by Loughborough Student Community
Hi @Ndaima,

When I was looking at what university I wanted to apply to I got hung up on university rankings and Russel Groups but since being at Loughborough I have realised that doesn't really matter if the course and the place itself suits you.

The reason I chose to study at Loughborough was not just because the course suited me best but because of the campus. The campus has such a great feel and has a great community feel. I personally preferred a campus university after having looked at others, as I liked everything being in one place.

I have finished my second year at Loughborough so can give you a bit of insight. The facilities on campus are amazing and there are so many opportunities to get involved in. From sport to societies and RAG there is such a variety to chose from.

Loughborough is very much a student town with lots to do on and off campus. I tend to spend weekdays on campus as there is lots going on. Weekends I usually go into town more where there are nice coffee shops, restaurants and bars. Although, Loughborough can't offer what big cities can offer, we sometimes get the train to Nottingham or Leicester, for a city atmosphere, which are both about 20 minutes away. We have a campus shuttle which runs every 10 minutes and also goes into town and to the train station which is very convenient.

Regarding studying computer science. I would recommend looking at this page here. This page gives lots of information about the course. If you scroll down to 'What you'll study' this breaks the course into each year and the modules that are on offer. I personally found this very useful as I could see exactly what I was going to study and compare this to other universities to see what suited me best.

I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions please do ask. 🙂

Alex

I am not falling for the RG hype, but I completely agree with you. I loved Loughborough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending