The Student Room Group

Series recommendations - want something to watch!

I've recently decided that I want something to watch, but the trouble is I have no idea what's good and what isn't good. So I'm asking you guys to give me some recommendations for different series, that must meet the following requirements:

- The series must be available on one of the following streaming sites: BBC iPlayer, ITVX, All 4, Prime Video.
- No horror series whatsoever
- Must not be too violent (I'm sensitive when it comes to this sort of stuff).
Reply 1
Hello! Not sure if you'll like any of these as I don't know which genres you'd like, and you may have already seen them. Not a big TV fan myself, but these are the ones that I love the most or have loved. These aren't really new series but still might be great if you've not seen them.
- Doctor Who: on Iplayer, honestly my favourite TV show ever haha. A brilliant mix of episodes both comedic, thought provoking and thrilling (not horror though). I will note, some of the episodes (it's pretty clear which) are a bit, not violent, but slightly gory. The CGIs not great so it's not overly horrifying, but I do find myself having to look away at some points, but not for long (and I am very sensitive to gore anyway haha). Might interest you, maybe not - I'm not sure what you'd consider a limit.

- Around the World in Eighty Days-really nice series, a mix of adventure and adapted from the novel. The second episode has a slightly, not gory, but unexpected bit

Spoiler

, Seen from afar. Brilliant actors. iPlayer

- The Goes Wrong Show - the first season is short but has done really fun, just lighthearted episodes that really make me laugh. Nice for a comedy. iPlayer

As a bit of a different one, the Piano on All 4 is really good, though it does cover some sensitive topics that can be a bit sad. The Green Planet (Attenborough) on iPlayer is a nice documentary series and very interesting, and though not as bad as the others like Blue Planet, there are some bits which make you (or at least me haha) look away.

None of these might be of any use to you haha, but hopefully this gives you some ideas of at least something. As a quick aside, I did note how some have violent bits that I found so. I would consider myself quite sensitive to violence, generally to the point of having to look away at any death or injury worse than someone falling to the ground after being zapped or something haha, but things like Doctor Who are still rated a 12. None of these programmes have ever given me cause to stop watching them, so hopefully that gives you a bit of a scale to see what they're like.

I hope this was of at least some assistance! Best of luck with whatever you do :biggrin:
Original post by _hobbinho_
I've recently decided that I want something to watch, but the trouble is I have no idea what's good and what isn't good. So I'm asking you guys to give me some recommendations for different series, that must meet the following requirements:

- The series must be available on one of the following streaming sites: BBC iPlayer, ITVX, All 4, Prime Video.

Dinnerladies
Keeping up appearances
Trollied
if you are into drama and comedy and nice fashion try Harlem. Upload was also very entertaining. What kind of shows do you like and have liked in the past? I can give you better suggestions that way
Original post by _hobbinho_

If you like something a bit more childish then Just add magic is GREAT
Like the Chemistry between the friends is EPIC
Also the adventures with the cookbook are epic

https://www.wattpad.com/1318157388-my-favorite-things-to-watch-tv-series-just-add
If you want to know WHY you should watch it
I reccomend you read what I wrote about it

Thank you for asking
PM me if you have any other questions

Quick Reply

Latest