The Student Room Group

Medical records nhs

I’ve seen something on my medical record, dissociative disorder, my GP has put this, it was never discussed with me, I only spoke once about feeling feeling dissociated from the world, disconnected, like I felt that a couple times, briefly. I suffer from depression and anxiety.
I firmly do not agree I have dissociative disorder, also I do not have a good relationship with this GP, we have disagreed a few times, it feels a bit malicious her putting that on my record.
How would I go about getting this amended or removed?
And what chance would I have of being successful in doing this?
Tbh it does feel malicious, she did not discuss this at all with me and I don’t see how a GP can diagnose this from me mentioning brief moments of dissociation, people can have these moments on occasions especially when experiencing bad depression and anxiety, does not mean you have dissociative disorder. I strongly disagree with this being on my medical records.

Scroll to see replies

Also to note, on the NHS app, dissociative disorder is under the section “allergies and adverse reactions” why is it under that section?
It was on a discharge letter I had from hospital aswell under previous medical history.
Does this mean she has diagnosed me with this?
I believe it is, as it’s listed dissociative disorder.
I’m very annoyed about it. I strongly disagree and I find it counterproductive and malicious that she never discussed this with me.
Anyone?
Anyone got any opinion or advice?
Contact your GP practice and file a complaint, diagnosing you with something without talking to you about it first isn’t okay.
Original post by Anonymous
Contact your GP practice and file a complaint, diagnosing you with something without talking to you about it first isn’t okay.

Yeah I feel pretty angry about it tbh, I will contact GP practise and complain about it, not sure it will get overturned I feel the GP will attempt to lie that she told me, when I know 110% she did not, she didn’t talk to me about it at all. I feel this was malicious.
Make an appointment to talk to your GP about it?
Original post by Hopemaybeeternal
It was discussed with the other you , hence the diagnosis

Aren't you witty and helpful...
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by black tea
Aren't you witty and helpful...

I have my moments
Original post by Hopemaybeeternal
It was discussed with the other you , hence the diagnosis

Lol yeah that’s what I feel she’s going to try say, but it was not discussed, I only spoke about a few brief dissociative experiences in previous appointments, not an everyday thing and those moments were brief feelings of being spaced out/disconnected, feeling in a daze
Make an appointment to talk to your GP about it?

We don’t have a good relationship and I do not trust her, she put that on my record without even talking to me about it & she loves gaslighting my symptoms

Would you have any advice on what to say? I have an email address to put my complain forward
We don’t have a good relationship and I do not trust her, she put that on my record without even talking to me about it & she loves gaslighting my symptoms

Surely there is more than one GP at your surgery?
I think you recently had a thread on a similar topic?

(As there, the likelihood of your GP adding notes out of malevolence is practically zero. They may be incorrect in their diagnosis, but they’re not going to risk their career adding things that have no merit/basis.)

Your best bet is to state in your complaint that you’re uncomfortable with the wording you’re aware of and state your POV of what you’ve shared with them previously. I would not expect to have their notes removed/amended, but your own comments can be added.

From this thread and the other I think your relationship with your GP is irrevocably broken and you should seek another ASAP.
This was the other thread that I was aware of and might be useful for anyone giving advice here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7336664
Surely there is more than one GP at your surgery?

I could see another yeah, I’m just wondering would they be able to remove it?
I don’t think they would.
Original post by Admit-One
I think you recently had a thread on a similar topic?

(As there, the likelihood of your GP adding notes out of malevolence is practically zero. They may be incorrect in their diagnosis, but they’re not going to risk their career adding things that have no merit/basis.)

Your best bet is to state in your complaint that you’re uncomfortable with the wording you’re aware of and state your POV of what you’ve shared with them previously. I would not expect to have their notes removed/amended, but your own comments can be added.

From this thread and the other I think your relationship with your GP is irrevocably broken and you should seek another ASAP.

Yeah that was my thread. The thing is in this case I feel she may have done it to cover her own back in as she was worrying about serotonin syndrome & her possibly being in trouble. She admitted after doing reflex check I may have serotonin syndrome. Funny how in the same appointment she then put dissociative disorder when it wasn’t even discussed in that appointment at all.
The issue with just having notes added they’ll put I don’t recall having the discussion & just makes me look like I don’t recall it as I have dissociative disorder. I can’t win. She’s done it in a clever sneaky way where I can’t win with this. Boils my blood. Dirty that is what she’s done.
Yeah that was my thread. The thing is in this case I feel she may have done it to cover her own back in as she was worrying about serotonin syndrome & her possibly being in trouble. She admitted after doing reflex check I may have serotonin syndrome. Funny how in the same appointment she then put dissociative disorder when it wasn’t even discussed in that appointment at all.
The issue with just having notes added they’ll put I don’t recall having the discussion & just makes me look like I don’t recall it as I have dissociative disorder. I can’t win. She’s done it in a clever sneaky way where I can’t win with this. Boils my blood. Dirty that is what she’s done.

Realistically I just don’t think you’ll get the outcome that you want from a complaint. In my recent experience you may at best get an apology and your own letter going on record, but not the previous bits amending. A new GP would be a fresh start at least.
Yeah I feel pretty angry about it tbh, I will contact GP practise and complain about it, not sure it will get overturned I feel the GP will attempt to lie that she told me, when I know 110% she did not, she didn’t talk to me about it at all. I feel this was malicious.

I would suggest talking to the GP about this but it’s completely understandable if you are uncomfortable with doing this. Maybe book an appointment with a GP that isn’t the one that diagnosed you without your knowledge and ask them to assess you for the disorder- if they think you don’t have it it is possible the diagnosis will be overturned
Original post by Admit-One
Realistically I just don’t think you’ll get the outcome that you want from a complaint. In my recent experience you may at best get an apology and your own letter going on record, but not the previous bits amending. A new GP would be a fresh start at least.

Thing is it wont be a fresh start having a false diagnosis on my record. I am not comfortable that being on my record when it’s not true. I do agree with you unfortunately that I won’t get it removed, it’s just wrong though that she will get away with it. Having dissociative disorder on my record will most likely influence my future care in subtle ways, GPs will be influenced by it, think differently of my mental state, it’s also just the principle of it, I don’t have the disorder. I’m angry about this. This should not be allowed to stay on my record. It’s difficult to prove myself when my GP will obviously fight it when I complain. I do actually believe she’ll lie saying she spoke to me about it, because otherwise if she admitted she didn’t she’ll be in trouble. She’ll lie. I won’t be believed, they’ll take the side of the doctor.

Quick Reply

Latest