The Student Room Group

Sport and Exercise Science or Cell Biology?

Hi there,

I am currently a 1st Year student who is close to finishing the semester for this academic year.

I currently study Sport and Exercise Science and I am enjoying my degree programme so far. However, I have been doing my research into the job market for Sport Science and have found it to be very competitive with little job availability. I am specifically looking to work within football but found the wages to be underwhelming unless you have gained vast experience within the sector. This has made me concerned about my future job prospects and has led me to consider a possible degree change to Cell Biology.

I have already sat and passed both modules I need to transfer into this degree programme for next year. I thoroughly enjoyed these modules and previous studies surrounding biology during secondary school. I was also researching the careers and found a much broader range of pathways such as biotechnology and forensics with very intriguing salaries. There are also logistical routes I could take to go into medicine if I choose to.

I wanted to hear from any current/former students of both Cell Biology and Sport and Exercise Science degrees to help me in making a decision. I am open for full honesty as this is a big decision that I want to make to give me the best possible chance of using my degree after study.

Thank you in advance for the responses!
Cell Bio jobs are also very competitive
Reply 2
Original post by Dnsnnssn
Cell Bio jobs are also very competitive

I am aware of this and do agree with you. However, my main reason for switching is that Sports Science is very niche hence a large number of people tend to focus on the same career path leading to a flood of applicants for one role. I can see that cell bio would also be very competitive but feel as if it would enable me to have more career choice after university

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending