The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE History Paper 2 (1HI0 2A-2W) - 7th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Also, did anyone here do the exploration question for Elizabeth. What did you talk about? Is the sense of adventure and desire to find new land a valid point?
Reply 41
Original post by Username2727
Also, did anyone here do the exploration question for Elizabeth. What did you talk about? Is the sense of adventure and desire to find new land a valid point?

I talked about:
1. New technology: (for statement) Thomas Harriot, quadrants and astrolabes, the Mercator Map, galleons (I did like a whole paragraph on galleons)
2. Against: Francis Drake and his circumnavigation of the globe, the triangular trade and relations with Spain, trade and colonies etc.

I did 3 paragraphs with intro and conclusion (although you don't need an intro, I just had time)

Ultimately, I argued that I mostly agreed with the statement because without the new technology it would have been very difficult.
The sense of adventure is definitely a valid point! It underpinned many explorations in hopes of finding the Northern Passage (which wasn't actually found until the 1800s). As long as you backed it up with evidence and made the examiner see your point in relation to the question it's hard to go too wrong there :smile:
that’s valid as long as you backed it up I wrote something similar but linked it with Francis drake👍🏾👍🏾don’t worry about it
but I mentioned astrolabes, ships with better designs and the map
for disagree I talked about Francis drake and how it spikes a sense of adventure and for another disagree I talked about religion/trade and how they wanted to civilise the Native Americans hence when most the sailors were puritans and Protestants..I also mentioned trade very briefly something about China and Russia
Reply 43
For the narrative account, in my last paragraph I talked about the Truman doctrine AND Marshall aid and cominfrom and comecon however marshall aid occurred after 1947, how many marks will I lose??
Reply 44
Did anybody do British America? Feels like nobody did 😭😂 I felt really good about the Anglo-Saxon paper, although I wasn’t sure I found enough points for the 12-marker in order to get top marks. What did you guys do?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 45
Original post by 18user1856
For the narrative account, in my last paragraph I talked about the Truman doctrine AND Marshall aid and cominfrom and comecon however marshall aid occurred after 1947, how many marks will I lose??

I mean you wont “lose” marks but you won’t get as many. Your points are probably less developed than they could have been ; it would have been better to do truman and marshall in one then cominform and comecon in the other.
Reply 46
Original post by xxxNeroxxx
Did anybody do British America? Feels like nobody did 😭😂 I felt really good about the Anglo-Saxon paper, although I wasn’t sure I found enough points for the 12-marker in order to get top marks. What did you guys do?

I did cold war and anglo saxon, the anglo saxon paper was actually amazing
Reply 47
Original post by in___
Honestly the wording of the narrative account 😭I was fully expecting Prague springs man

Prague? Swear that was last year
Reply 48
Original post by Sbud
I mean you wont “lose” marks but you won’t get as many. Your points are probably less developed than they could have been ; it would have been better to do truman and marshall in one then cominform and comecon in the other.

I mean my points were very developd I write 3 pages, I’m just worried because it wasn’t within the dates that we were meant to talk about
Elizabeth paper was good. Did anyone else do the American West Paper? Because wtf was the narrative account question?
Also, what were people’s third point for the exploration one on Elizabeth- I just did adventure and desire for new land

i don’t do american west, but for exploration, I mentioned that they use the astrolabe, Francis Drake become rich so people also want to become rich by exploring and the rivalry between Spain and England, where Drake attacked ships and raleigh made colonies near the Spanish ones
Reply 50
I mean my points were very developd I write 3 pages, I’m just worried because it wasn’t within the dates that we were meant to talk about

I doubt you'll be penalised for it as it links to the Truman Doctrine. You may just may not be credited for it. It sounds like you wrote lots though so don't worry about it.

No marshall aid was in 1947 - comecon was in 1949 though, however as long as you stuck to the flow of events moving on from one to another you should be fine
Original post by Sbud
Cuba
i talked about trade with ussr instead of usa (inc tension)

then nuclear missiles imported and JFK’s declaration that he’ll stop it by any means (inc tension)

then hotline (reduce tension)

then removal of missiles( reduce tension)

SDI
put us ahead in arms race (worse relations)

ussr realised they couldn’t keep up which lead to gorbachev’s new thinking and the end of the cold war
(Improved relations)

caused the breakdown of salt 2 and removed chance of nuclear disarmament (worse relations)

Yep I got the same - I always jump at the chance to talk about Reagan - he was the king of cowboys
Original post by Aakzz
What did u guys write about the last 2 eight markers? The ones about the soviet relations with cuba and the SDI strategy (star wars strategy)
I found those a bit hard cuz i didnt know much to write about

i wrote about the warsaw pact and the SDI ( i did a question on it few days ago)
Original post by Sbud
I did cold war and anglo saxon, the anglo saxon paper was actually amazing

anglos saxon was good but could have been better- i didn't remember much about bishop odo so one of my features weren't as developed as the other one- also for the 12 marker for a paragreph i wrote about edwin and morcar's rebellion but after the exam i realised it was in 1068 not 1069 :mad::eek: oh well i did very well in the rest so i think it will be ok
(edited 10 months ago)
how did you guys find it? I thought the first HVIII question was horrible tbh
Reply 56
Original post by acolourfulhuman
anglos saxon was good but could have been better- i didn't remember much about bishop odo so one of my features weren't as developed as the other one- also for the 12 marker for a paragreph i wrote about edwin and morcar's rebellion but after the exam i realised it was in 1068 not 1069 :mad::eek: oh well i did very well in the rest so i think it will be ok

Lmao I didnt know the dates, so if the next page didnt say warsaw act was 55 I would’ve written about warsaw and nato in my narrative accounts

I ended up doing: potsdam and yalta/ truman doctrine and marshall plan/comecon and cominform
Original post by Sbud
Lmao I didnt know the dates, so if the next page didnt say warsaw act was 55 I would’ve written about warsaw and nato in my narrative accounts

I ended up doing: potsdam and yalta/ truman doctrine and marshall plan/comecon and cominform

same and i also forgot 2 of the leaders' names in some events
i did yalta, potsdam and truman- marshal plan was 1948 i think and comecon was in 1949 so they werent in the timeline given :burnout::bawling:
Reply 58
Original post by acolourfulhuman
same and i also forgot 2 of the leaders' names in some events
i did yalta, potsdam and truman- marshal plan was 1948 i think and comecon was in 1949 so they werent in the timeline given :burnout::bawling:

Yikes, not that I’d have anything else to write about gotta just hope they forget their dates again like the medicine paper
Reply 59

yes!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending