The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 (Higher Tier triple) 8463/1H - 25th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by K.online.
First piece of advise. STOP TAKING NOTES!! They are incredibly time consuming at this point, and a lot of this should be knowledge you have previously been taught. It's only going to drag you behind. Read the GCP books. If you understand a topic/page, don't look at it again. Accept that you know what there is to know. If you don't understand, or don't feel very confident, you can watch a video (Cognitio, freesciencelessons etc) on the subject. There's not much more to it. M&PTutor or Quizlet flashcards are okay, but they won't really give you any extensive information, which you need for exam questions. At best, they give you some subject terminology. You should only fall on those if you need to remember some key phrases. Otherwise, just keep watching past paper walk throughs or looking at the mark scheme. Stop writing! Please! You should only ever write to memorise quotes or language phrases in my honest opinion. You can do look, cover, write, check for practicals if you must.

How would I memorise the content? I don’t like flashcards
Reply 21
Original post by suzy23
I think I have done pretty badly on both biology and chemistry and probably only got 20 marks in each paper do you know how many more marks are needed for a grade 6 or 7. What method do you think is faster for revising so going onto free science lessons and making notes and then going onto GCSE maths tutor and doing flashcards and notes and then exam style questions or doing look cover right check with the CGP books and then past papers, flashcards and exam style questions. Let’s say I do better on paper 2 than paper 1 can I get an overall grade of a 7-7

I looked at the AQA grade boundaries from 2019, and for a 7 in biology and chemistry, you need 107 (both papers combined) and 108 in physics. So you will need to do really well in paper 2 if you are aiming for a 7.
For revision, I think making notes takes quite a while so I would say the 2nd method is better.
Though I think getting the content then doing the questions is the way to go for me atleast.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by hms677
I looked at the grade boundaries from 2019, and for a 7 in biology and chemistry, you need 107 (both papers combined) and 108 in physics. So you will need to do really well in paper 2 if you are aiming for a 7.
For revision, I think making notes takes quite a while so I would say the 2nd method is better.
Though I think getting the content then doing the questions is the way to go for me atleast.

If both paper are combined and for a 7 you need 50 in each paper are you sure?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 23
Original post by suzy23
If both paper are combined and for a 7 you need 50 in each paper are you sure?

I can't tell you for sure that those are the exact grade boundaries because they are decided only after the exams are done. But I read somewhere that the grade boundaries will fall back to pre-covid levels. So I am just taking the 2019 grade boundaries as a reference.
Original post by hms677
I can't tell you for sure that those are the exact grade boundaries because they are decided only after the exams are done. But I read somewhere that the grade boundaries will fall back to pre-covid levels. So I am just taking the 2019 grade boundaries as a reference.

is it possible to learn all of paper 1 content today and tommorow. I think I got about 22 marks on biology and 20 on chemistry how many more are needed for a 7. For the chemistry paper what did you write for the experiment one and there was a question like how do you separate solid chloride from something. I can’t remember exactly but it was 2 marks
Reply 25
Original post by suzy23
is it possible to learn all of paper 1 content today and tommorow. I think I got about 22 marks on biology and 20 on chemistry how many more are needed for a 7. For the chemistry paper what did you write for the experiment one and there was a question like how do you separate solid chloride from something. I can’t remember exactly but it was 2 marks

Yes i think it is possible, I am doing the same too.
biology you are looking at 85 or more.
chemistry is 87 or more
I honestly forgot everything from the chemistry papers now because i am mainly focused on maths and physics.
Original post by hms677
Yes i think it is possible, I am doing the same too.
biology you are looking at 85 or more.
chemistry is 87 or more
I honestly forgot everything from the chemistry papers now because i am mainly focused on maths and

So for the paper 2 I need to get those marks in the next paper
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 27
Original post by suzy23
So for the paper 2 I need to get those marks in the next paper

most probably yes
Original post by hms677
most probably yes

I just looked at the 2019 grade boundaries and for a grade 7 you need 34 in each paper so I need 48 more marks
Reply 29
Original post by suzy23
I just looked at the 2019 grade boundaries and for a grade 7 you need 34 in each paper so I need 48 more marks

Whoa really which board do u do?
Original post by hms677
Whoa really which board do u do?

AQA they have pretty low grade boundaries for a grade 4 you only need 14 marks
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 31
Original post by suzy23

Omg I am so sorry I assumed u were doing separate and not combined so I was looking at the grade boundaries for the separate sciences
Reply 32
My predictions for the practicals that might come up are:
-Investigating Specific heat capacity
-Density of a irregular shaped object

Its probably not going to be
-Thermal Insulators
-Variable resistor
because they have been in the paper last year.

No guarantee of course.
Original post by dachemist
My predictions for the practicals that might come up are:
-Investigating Specific heat capacity
-Density of a irregular shaped object

Its probably not going to be
-Thermal Insulators
-Variable resistor
because they have been in the paper last year.

No guarantee of course.

What topics come up every year? As these are the one that are definitely going to come up
Reply 34
good luck for tomorrow everyone :smile:
Reply 35
Anyone have any predictions?
Yeah don't vote in the poll until after the exam
Original post by dachemist
Anyone have any predictions?

i think there will be a lot of paper 2 content seeing how the other sciences have gone
I need to get at least 60 in my physics paper because I definitely have messed up p1 chemistry and biology and I haven’t even started revising for physics yet but I am going to go onto cognito and watch those videos and then past papers and hopefully get a good grade but if feel as though is soo impossible?
Original post by suzy23

this thread is for triple/separate science, there's a separate thread for combined science: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7340795
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending