The Student Room Group

OCR A-Level Geography Physical Systems | [17th May 2023] Exam Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by eramone
What about glaciofluvial

seems likely
Reply 41
Yes! Either that or ice formation. They could talk about how the direction of the sun affects how fast a glacier flows or forms. That would be lovely

Original post by bryce212_
i was also thinking for the 8 marker there could be something on specification point 1c on different glacial movements and how locations e.g. warm based and cold based influence them?
Reply 42
Original post by eramone
Yes! Either that or ice formation. They could talk about how the direction of the sun affects how fast a glacier flows or forms. That would be lovely

yeah i think in terms of the 8 marker it seems likely it could either be on glacial ice, movement influenced by warm based/cold based, depositional or glaciofluvial formations
Reply 43
Original post by Lukey Folan :)
I'm a bit surprised this chat is so quiet - only 9 days till the exam and its dead here. Does anyone have many predictions on what the 16 markers could be?

2022 questions for coasts
8 - how coasts can be seen as a system
16 - long term changes and short-term changes on coastal landscapes

2022 questions for ELSS
10 - Arctic Tundra and how the oil and gas companies affect the water cycle
16 - access the importance of carbon for humans

The 2022 questions for ELSS were very similar to 2020 - maybe the 2023 questions are going to be similar to the 2021 ones.

My predictions are as followed if anyone is interested:
- Arctic Tundra is unlikely to be a 16 marker, considering they asked about it as a 10 last year
- Last tropical rainforest 16 marker was 2018 and 10 was 2020 - could be a possibility?
- Might ask about short-term changes to Carbon/Water Cycles for the 16, and maybe something about carbon cycle for the 10 marker.
- Coasts 8 marker is going to be flows of energy for a certain landform last asked in 2019
- 16 marker is the one I'm struggling with - probably something to do with Eustatic/Isostatic Changes possibly?

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on what to expect.

Nah I disagree with those predictions if I’m honest with you.

As with my teacher said also, I feel as though formation of a tombolo is likely to be the one for the 8 I reckon.

16 could be tundra/carbon cycle due to previous trends as well

Highly doubt rainforest will be on there due to looking at past papers
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Sam73737
Nah I disagree with those predictions if I’m honest with you.

As with my teacher said also, I feel as though formation of a tombolo is likely to be the one for the 8 I reckon.
16 could be tundra/carbon cycle due to previous trends as well

Highly doubt rainforest will be on there.

my teacher said that tundra came up last year, cant remember what question but it was def there, so i think its more likely to be rainforest for the longer questions this year. hard to predict though
Reply 45
maybe both tundra and rainforest could come up and the question could be about comparing the carbon cycle in contrasting locations unless that question has already come up...

Original post by mel_19
my teacher said that tundra came up last year, cant remember what question but it was def there, so i think its more likely to be rainforest for the longer questions this year. hard to predict though
Reply 46
Interesting. That could be a possibility. It hasn’t happened before so maybe. But I think rainforest is defo more likely.
maybe both tundra and rainforest could come up and the question could be about comparing the carbon cycle in contrasting locations unless that question has already come up...
yeah i think in terms of the 8 marker it seems likely it could either be on glacial ice, movement influenced by warm based/cold based, depositional or glaciofluvial formations

Deffo one of those

This is what I was thinking I asked my teacher he said it's likely
Reply 49
Original post by Rohan15
This is what I was thinking I asked my teacher he said it's likely

Do you think something on both long and short term affects on the carbon cycle or water cycle. Last year was carbon so is it going to be water this year? (For the 16 marker)
(edited 11 months ago)
seems likely

Are you doing glacial landscapes, I’m doing coasts and ELSS
Reply 51
Original post by sanriolvr221
Are you doing glacial landscapes, I’m doing coasts and ELSS

glaciated but it doesn't matter because whenever they make the questions their always from the same specification point from the different options
Original post by eramone
Do you think something on both long and short term affects on the carbon cycle or water cycle. Last year was carbon so is it going to be water this year? (For the 16 marker)

They could ask about long term/short term but I think they would just ask about the carbon cycle in general and would probably expect you to talk about short/long term in your answer as indicative content. Also they could ask about water as well but I doubt it unless the question could maybe be about how both cycles are related in contracting locations
Reply 53
Original post by Rohan15
They could ask about long term/short term but I think they would just ask about the carbon cycle in general and would probably expect you to talk about short/long term in your answer as indicative content. Also they could ask about water as well but I doubt it unless the question could maybe be about how both cycles are related in contracting locations

they already used carbon cycle last year wht makes u think they would include carbon cycle again
Original post by Adas1332
they already used carbon cycle last year wht makes u think they would include carbon cycle again

Common trends and most of the specification focuses on the carbon cycle more than the water cycle
Reply 55
Original post by Rohan15

Wht would u talk about if they used tht as the question?
Reply 56
Original post by sanriolvr221
same I haven’t touched elss yet so I need to cram for this exam does anyone have any advice. Also what case studies do you guys do for human activity for 4a and 4b on the spec on coasts?

For the intentional human activity - I did Sandbanks, Dorset and then for the intentional, i did Mangwhai - Pakiri Beach in New Zealand
Reply 57
My teachers are big on the idea of human activity coming up which isn’t a bad topic so I’m hoping for that one.
They also think rias and fjords but I don’t think there’s enough to talk about for it unless they did both in one question.
ELSS I think will have a 10 marker on rainforests if not the 16.

These all seem very predictable though so I feel like the exam board might try to trip people up.
Just to let everyone know, I have merged some threads together into this one as they were discussing the same exam :smile: Best of luck!
Reply 59
Original post by eramone
I’m pretty stressed for glaciation. Especially the DAM construction. We just brushed over it but I don’t think there has been a Q on it yet

the Switzerland case study has come up before, it was something about human impacts on a valley glacier

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending