The Student Room Group

OCR A-Level Geography Physical Systems | [17th May 2023] Exam Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Has anyone got any high mark 16 mark answers for changing spaces making places? ik it's not this paper but this seems to be the most active page
Original post by kingben234
For the intentional human activity - I did Sandbanks, Dorset and then for the intentional, i did Mangwhai - Pakiri Beach in New Zealand

Thank you so much
Reply 62
guys what kind of statistic calculation do you think they could ask?
Reply 63
Original post by Sam73737
Nah I disagree with those predictions if I’m honest with you.

As with my teacher said also, I feel as though formation of a tombolo is likely to be the one for the 8 I reckon.

16 could be tundra/carbon cycle due to previous trends as well

Highly doubt rainforest will be on there due to looking at past papers

tundra and carbon cycle both came up last year tho
Reply 64
(Original post by bryce212_)guys what kind of statistic calculation do you think they could ask?

Original post by bryce212_

interquartile ranges, correlation coefficient (however it did come up alst year), perhaps spearmann's rank?
Reply 65
Original post by Smudgersam
ELSS will be rainforests

why not arctic tundra?
Reply 66
no that was asked in 2019

formation of a blowhole (they have asked for the formation of a geo before but not a blowhole. And i think that it would be a nice repeat but a repeat where its not obvious theyre using the same question)
Reply 67
Original post by Lukey Folan :)
I'm a bit surprised this chat is so quiet - only 9 days till the exam and its dead here. Does anyone have many predictions on what the 16 markers could be?

2022 questions for coasts
8 - how coasts can be seen as a system
16 - long term changes and short-term changes on coastal landscapes

2022 questions for ELSS
10 - Arctic Tundra and how the oil and gas companies affect the water cycle
16 - access the importance of carbon for humans

The 2022 questions for ELSS were very similar to 2020 - maybe the 2023 questions are going to be similar to the 2021 ones.

My predictions are as followed if anyone is interested:
- Arctic Tundra is unlikely to be a 16 marker, considering they asked about it as a 10 last year
- Last tropical rainforest 16 marker was 2018 and 10 was 2020 - could be a possibility?
- Might ask about short-term changes to Carbon/Water Cycles for the 16, and maybe something about carbon cycle for the 10 marker.
- Coasts 8 marker is going to be flows of energy for a certain landform last asked in 2019
- 16 marker is the one I'm struggling with - probably something to do with Eustatic/Isostatic Changes possibly?

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on what to expect.

i dont know why but i have a feeling that they may ask about a low energy environment for coasts. They have not asked that for a while... There have been many 16 markers asking about human influence/activity/management but this time they may ask about a high energy environment or low energy environment. In this case, it could be the Rhone Delta
Reply 68
All ELSS 16 marker questions they've asked before

Assess the importance of carbon to humans. [16]
Assess the extent to which deforestation and farming affect the water and carbon cycles of a
tropical rainforest. [16]
Reducing emissions is the most effective global management strategy to protect the carbon cycle as
a regulator of the Earth’s climate.’ How far do you agree with this statement? [16]
Assess the importance of water for humans. [16]
Assess the impact of long‑term climate change on the water and carbon cycles. [16]
“Human factors affect the water cycle more significantly in the tropical rainforest than in the Arctic
tundra”. Discuss. [16]
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 69

Deffo Standard deviation or a spearman's rank
Deffo Standard deviation or a spearman's rank

I was thinking of standard deviation too
Reply 71
Original post by KiaChan1
i dont know why but i have a feeling that they may ask about a low energy environment for coasts. They have not asked that for a while... There have been many 16 markers asking about human influence/activity/management but this time they may ask about a high energy environment or low energy environment. In this case, it could be the Rhone Delta

They already asked a question on low energy coastline about how the landforms are inter-related. It could either be how physical factors affect a low energy coastline or how are landforms inter-related in a high energy coastline tbh.
Guys for the potential 8 marker on glaciated landscapes does anyone's think they could either ask about the formation of: outwash plains or frost heave and patterned ground?
Reply 73
They already asked a question on low energy coastline about how the landforms are inter-related. It could either be how physical factors affect a low energy coastline or how are landforms inter-related in a high energy coastline tbh.

they havent asked about a low energy environment since 2020
Reply 74
All ELSS 16 marker questions they've asked before

Assess the importance of carbon to humans. [16]
Assess the extent to which deforestation and farming affect the water and carbon cycles of a
tropical rainforest. [16]
Reducing emissions is the most effective global management strategy to protect the carbon cycle as
a regulator of the Earth’s climate.’ How far do you agree with this statement? [16]
Assess the importance of water for humans. [16]
Assess the impact of long‑term climate change on the water and carbon cycles. [16]
“Human factors affect the water cycle more significantly in the tropical rainforest than in the Arctic
tundra”. Discuss. [16]

could you find all the ELSS 8 markers they have asked before? thanks
Reply 75
Examine the extent to which the developing oil and gas industry affects the water cycle in the Arctic
tundra. [10]
Examine how feedback loops can affect the processes and stores within the carbon cycle. [10]
Examine the significance of short term changes to the flows and stores in the water cycle. [10]
Examine the extent to which an individual tree can influence the water and carbon cycles within a
tropical rainforest. [10]
Examine how water extraction influences flows and stores in the water cycle. [10]
Examine the significance of the role of vegetation in linking the water and carbon cycles. [10]
Original post by KiaChan1
could you find all the ELSS 8 markers they have asked before? thanks
Reply 76
Original post by Rohan15
Guys for the potential 8 marker on glaciated landscapes does anyone's think they could either ask about the formation of: outwash plains or frost heave and patterned ground?

i was thinking it could be patterned ground or pingos
Reply 77
Original post by wqeefegv
i was thinking it could be patterned ground or pingos

pingo's came up before as a 4 marker but they could possibly ask about them also i think if they were to ask about patterned ground they would also ask about frost heave as they are their formations are linked
Reply 78
guys has anyone got a question bank of coastal landscapes P.P questions. Or if you'd like to discuss predicted questions
here are all the questions on this document

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending