The Student Room Group

Should i move out for uni

I currently live in a very dysfunctional family and i'm just tired of this house hold after 19 years but i don't know if i can hack (deal) with moving out for uni.
Because of the household i live in, i've had to grow up at an early age but now that i'm 19 i don't actually know how to function like other people my age and i don't know how i will deal with paying rent when i have such little experinece. I'm quite anxious, and introverted and i struggle to make friends so i'm scared as i am not very social, also i'm not interested in clubbing or smoking/drinking which are big part of uni culture. I don't know if i can tolerate uni lifestyle and the responsiblities which i don't understand but its the only way i can leave this toxic household. What should i do? Ps i live in London and my uni is in London too
Original post by Anonymous
I currently live in a very dysfunctional family and i'm just tired of this house hold after 19 years but i don't know if i can hack (deal) with moving out for uni.
Because of the household i live in, i've had to grow up at an early age but now that i'm 19 i don't actually know how to function like other people my age and i don't know how i will deal with paying rent when i have such little experinece. I'm quite anxious, and introverted and i struggle to make friends so i'm scared as i am not very social, also i'm not interested in clubbing or smoking/drinking which are big part of uni culture. I don't know if i can tolerate uni lifestyle and the responsiblities which i don't understand but its the only way i can leave this toxic household. What should i do? Ps i live in London and my uni is in London too

You should try get a short term lease of you can for a few months. See if the life out vibe is for u. If u hate it then u can move back home.

I tried living out (out of london mind you) for a year and hated it, so when i moved back to london, i commuted to london uni daily whilst living at home, so it was way easier.
Original post by boulderingislife
You should try get a short term lease of you can for a few months. See if the life out vibe is for u. If u hate it then u can move back home.

I tried living out (out of london mind you) for a year and hated it, so when i moved back to london, i commuted to london uni daily whilst living at home, so it was way easier.

I'm not sure if my uni does short term leases

Well you could try for a whole year and see how it goes and just commute from home If u hate it too much. If you’re indifferent then just stay at home like i did and commute. You’ll save so much money! I used the money i saved by not living out to do some travelling right after uni

You'll never know unless you try it. You can always decide it's not for you there are often people who want a place and are on waiting lists so although you might have to pay a few weeks rent until a replacement is found if you decide to move back home it's worth the experience I wasn't interested in clubbing smoking or drinking when I started (I still don't drink) but I went clubbing because everyone else was on the first night and you know what I actually had a good time also although there is a lot of clubbing there is an enormous amount of other things that you might like movie nights and the like. I'd give it a try and who knows you might love living out.
Do you guys think its worth it tho as i live in London and rent prices will be high

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear you are not happy with your home situation. Moving out for university is very daunting and its easy to panic about all the aspects that come with it but remember you are not alone! Lots of students will be feeling the same way and that’s why there’s services to help you with everything.

In terms of paying rent, how much and often will be dependent on your university and accommodation. If your university offers accommodation, you will probably pay in three instalments and will apply through their website. I would recommend googling your university accommodation page or speaking to their finance team.
Here are a few websites on applying to finance and top tips on moving out for the first time.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance
https://www.storefirst.com/storage-news/student-moving-out-guide-stress-free-steps-for-a-smooth-move
https://www.bath.ac.uk/case-studies/tips-time-at-university/
https://www1.chester.ac.uk/news/student-tips-five-bits-advice-new-students-university

I know the reputation of university is party time, but this is absolutely not the case for every student! There are lots of other options university offers which don’t include drinking or clubbing and you should not feel like you must partake in these if they are not your thing. Have a look at your university’s societies guide they may have some clubs you would be interested in joining which is also a brilliant way of making friends when you first arrive.

The university lifestyle is whatever you want to make it. University is full of a range of students, especially in London so I’m sure you’ll meet the right people to make it your own. Good luck with everything and remember you’re not alone!

- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Reply 7
Original post by University of Bath
Hi there,

I am sorry to hear you are not happy with your home situation. Moving out for university is very daunting and its easy to panic about all the aspects that come with it but remember you are not alone! Lots of students will be feeling the same way and that’s why there’s services to help you with everything.

In terms of paying rent, how much and often will be dependent on your university and accommodation. If your university offers accommodation, you will probably pay in three instalments and will apply through their website. I would recommend googling your university accommodation page or speaking to their finance team.
Here are a few websites on applying to finance and top tips on moving out for the first time.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance
https://www.storefirst.com/storage-news/student-moving-out-guide-stress-free-steps-for-a-smooth-move
https://www.bath.ac.uk/case-studies/tips-time-at-university/
https://www1.chester.ac.uk/news/student-tips-five-bits-advice-new-students-university

I know the reputation of university is party time, but this is absolutely not the case for every student! There are lots of other options university offers which don’t include drinking or clubbing and you should not feel like you must partake in these if they are not your thing. Have a look at your university’s societies guide they may have some clubs you would be interested in joining which is also a brilliant way of making friends when you first arrive.

The university lifestyle is whatever you want to make it. University is full of a range of students, especially in London so I’m sure you’ll meet the right people to make it your own. Good luck with everything and remember you’re not alone!

- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Thank you Sophie!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending