The Student Room Group

Unsure if I can afford Uni

Hello. I am 19 in year 13.

I retook year 12 in a different college following circumstances that have led to me moving in with my sister. I do not get any financial support from her or my brother-in-law, and I have to move out by the end of this summer so my nephew can move into the room I use right now.

Since I live with them right now though, my maintenance depends on their salary and comes out to £4k a year.
Since I want to do pharmacy most people say that with all the lecture and lab hours, only a weekend job is really suitable.

I am worried that £4k and a weekend job is not going to cover my accom, bills, food, car insurance and such.

Should I just give up on uni and pursue some sort of work or apprenticeship?
I don't want to start only to have to give up halfway because I couldn't afford it.

All advice is appreciated.
Reply 1
In the event you don't go to uni this year, where would you move to?
Reply 2
Original post by FeiFeiLi
In the event you don't go to uni this year, where would you move to?
I would have to move out & rent a flat, i have 2k saved now and then I'd have to save up all of what I make in summer and keep working to maintain rent I suppose. I have 2 friends that have said they would be willing to keep me at their place for a month or two if I needed more time finding somewhere.

I live in west midlands so there are some flats near that I could afford on my own, but then of course my career is stunted unless I am lucky to find a decent paying apprenticeship in something I can pursue.
Original post by ooqwerty
I would have to move out & rent a flat, i have 2k saved now and then I'd have to save up all of what I make in summer and keep working to maintain rent I suppose. I have 2 friends that have said they would be willing to keep me at their place for a month or two if I needed more time finding somewhere.

I live in west midlands so there are some flats near that I could afford on my own, but then of course my career is stunted unless I am lucky to find a decent paying apprenticeship in something I can pursue.

Are you estranged from your parents or have they died? Student finance is assessed on parental income so I don't think (though I'm not certain) your sister's household income will apply. I think it's worth you posting a question in the Ask SFE forum to see if you qualify as being an independent student.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4

I see. It sounds like your parents are out of the picture? If that's so if you can prove estrangement or that you've been taking care of yourself for (I think two years) you can get the maximum amount.
Original post by FeiFeiLi
I see. It sounds like your parents are out of the picture? If that's so if you can prove estrangement or that you've been taking care of yourself for (I think two years) you can get the maximum amount.

I think it is 12 months but the SFE reps on the Ask SFE forum will be able to advise. :smile:
Hello. I am 19 in year 13.

I retook year 12 in a different college following circumstances that have led to me moving in with my sister. I do not get any financial support from her or my brother-in-law, and I have to move out by the end of this summer so my nephew can move into the room I use right now.

Since I live with them right now though, my maintenance depends on their salary and comes out to £4k a year.
Since I want to do pharmacy most people say that with all the lecture and lab hours, only a weekend job is really suitable.

I am worried that £4k and a weekend job is not going to cover my accom, bills, food, car insurance and such.

Should I just give up on uni and pursue some sort of work or apprenticeship?
I don't want to start only to have to give up halfway because I couldn't afford it.

All advice is appreciated.

Id start looking for an apprenticeship.
You dont want to possibly get in a mess with not being able to afford uni. At least with an apprenticeship you are earning as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending