The Student Room Group

Living in accom when your parents live in the same city of your Uni

I am contemplating whether I should stay home or live in accommodation when at uni. My parents will live in the outskirts of the city when I go to this uni.

I feel like if I stay in accommodation I will look snobby and just unapproachable.

What are your thoughts?
Original post by sophiasau
I am contemplating whether I should stay home or live in accommodation when at uni. My parents will live in the outskirts of the city when I go to this uni.

I feel like if I stay in accommodation I will look snobby and just unapproachable.

What are your thoughts?
I've got the same problem rn- my parents live in the same city as the uni i might firm, but i feel like i wont get that tradtional ' uni experience' if i dont move away.

But I feel like theres no point, financially, in moving 30-40 minutes away imo
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by apple6258
I've got the same problem rn- my parents live in the same city as the uni i might firm, but i feel like i wont get that tradtional ' uni experience' if i dont move away.

I guess doing one year and then moving back in isn’t so bad…
Reply 3

What are your thoughts?

It'll be much cheaper but you will no have the same experience at all.
Reply 4
Original post by 048243
It'll be much cheaper but you will no have the same experience at all.
Do you know if students from the same city do actually stay in accom in the same city. London especially. It’s fine if not.
What are your thoughts?
Hi there,
There's so many perks to moving out for uni and you're certainly not alone. I lived in my nearby uni city and found it to be the perfect balance between independence and also being close enough to home, should I need anything. If you're undecided as to whether to move out for uni, I'd make a list of pros and cons. I'd also recommend having a look around at accommodations in your uni city to help you make a decision.

Hope this helps!

-Nicky
Original post by apple6258
Honestly the “uni experience” is one of the most overrated and overused slogans in education. Don’t fall for it. Most of uni is a depressing slog and you only really have a bit of “fun” in the first few weeks of your first year. I would say stay at home and save money, be practical and don’t fall for media nonsense about how “uni is the best time of your life” blah blah blah. It’s not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending