The Student Room Group

University College Dublin vs University of Manchester

Greetings,

I recently was applying for universities to go and pursue my masters.

I got admission from both University College Dublin and University of Manchester for MSc Data Science. I am confused on what univeristy i should pick.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I go to UCD. I know that Manchester is a very highly ranked university, so that might be important to consider. As far as the cities are concerned, I have never been to Manchester city centre, only outside it, and I cant say I have heard anything spectacular about it. Dublin on the other hand is a very quintessential European city imo, although rent prices are extremely high (average 1,000 euros per month even with University accommodation). The up-side is that UCD is the best university in Ireland (alongside TCD) and I am pretty sure it is very strong in data science. With a lottttt of tech companies and corporate firms here, it's also a strong city to go job- or internship-seeking. I know that UCD graduates fill the Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Google, Amazon, etc., jobs here in Dublin. The only thing is that internationally, I think Manchester is more prestigious. I would say look at the overall costs and judge from there. Other than that, UCD is a fantastic modern campus (although I would have preferred it to be old, as I study history, but whatever) with everything you need. We often describe it as a town within a city. There is a huge sports centre with like 500 football fields, tennis courts, olympic pool, around 900 gyms and ... you get the picture. The main library is quite big and there are around 8 university residences with accommodation ranging from studios and shared rooms to apartments with ensuites and shared bathrooms. Let me know if you have any questions on UCD - I've been here for a few years and am graduating soon.
Reply 2
Hi, I’m an Italian student.
I’m currently holding three offers from these universities:
- Birkbeck, University of London in Msc Astrobiology.
-Brunel, Msc Environmental management.
- UCD in Dublin: Msc Environmental science.
I have read really bad things about Brunel in the last weeks, but also about Birkbeck.
I really like the course offered by Birkbeck because I want to do astrobiology also in a future PhD and I have read that they share the department of Earth and Planetary science with UCL.

I really need some feedback about all of them cause I want to make the best decisions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending