The Student Room Group

Urgent question about Transfering into medicine

So basically im doing biomedical science with a foundation year as i lack the correct subjects to study the degree, but i have always wanted to do medicine, and i found out that people can transfer to medicine after their first year in biomedical science, but i dont know whether to apply after my foundation year of after the first year.

I checked on Google buy didnt find anything that could help. So i am currently confused and need help in finding out the correct way.
Many thanks
Only a few select universities have a transfer scheme into Medicine so the first question is, does your university offer a transfer scheme?

I believe that this is an exhaustive list of all the universities that have a transfer scheme: https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/graduate-entry-medicine/medicine-transfer-schemes/?v=79cba1185463 Yes, there are only a handful. If your university doesn't offer a transfer scheme, then you're out of luck - you'll have to finish your degree, try your best to get a 2:1 or a first and apply for graduate entry.

Edit: if your university does have a transfer scheme, it will definitely be starting from year 1 of the degree, not the foundation year.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Scotland Yard
Only a few select universities have a transfer scheme into Medicine so the first question is, does your university offer a transfer scheme?

I believe that this is an exhaustive list of all the universities that have a transfer scheme: https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/graduate-entry-medicine/medicine-transfer-schemes/?v=79cba1185463 Yes, there are only a handful. If your university doesn't offer a transfer scheme, then you're out of luck - you'll have to finish your degree, try your best to get a 2:1 or a first and apply for graduate entry.

Edit: if your university does have a transfer scheme, it will definitely be starting from year 1 of the degree, not the foundation year.

Thanks i just needed confirmation. I dont go uni at moment as im in sixth form.
So hopefully ill look at the unis with the transfer schemes.
Thanks again
Reply 3
Original post by mariyaha.xo
Thanks i just needed confirmation. I dont go uni at moment as im in sixth form.
So hopefully ill look at the unis with the transfer schemes.
Thanks again

If you are not yet at university, then doing the A levels you are missing on a gap year is likely to be the easiest, cheapest and quickest option to qualify as a Dr.
Biomed transfer schemes limit you to 1 med school, are insanely competitive and often still require the UCAT cut offs of the standard cohort, plus 70%+ across your biomed modules.
GEM is even more competitive, requiring higher admissions test scores, generally, and you are competing against people with often years of experience in the NHS, with worse interview to offer ratios.
What A levels are you doing and what grades are you predicted? What year are you in? Provided you are predicted AAA, there are likely to be at least 3 med schools you can apply to as things stand
(edited 1 year ago)
Im in yr 12 and i do physics maths and french, but i also do biology privately for a level butthe school r reluctant to help get me a predicted grade for bio
Reply 5
Im in yr 12 and i do physics maths and french, but i also do biology privately for a level butthe school r reluctant to help get me a predicted grade for bio

I would be pushing for a grade in biology, as then you have at least 14 A100 courses you can apply to. Without a bio grade, you can apply to Newcastle A100 and Manchester A104 this year and if unsuccessful, apply to lots more when you have achieved AAA inc biology and another science whilst on a gap year. Still more choices, cheaper and easier than doing biomed with a view to a transfer
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by GANFYD
I would be pushing for a grade in biology, as then you have at least 14 A100 courses you can apply to. Without a bio grade, you can apply to Newcastle A100 and Manchester A104 this year and if unsuccessful, apply to lots more when you have achieved AAA inc biology and another science whilst on a gap year. Still more choices, cheaper and easier than doing biomed wiht a view to a transfer

I second this. The ideal thing is to get in directly via the A100 course. As someone whose stupid decisions have led me to have very little choice but to attempt the nontraditional ways of getting into Medicine, I can only reccomend you try to get in a A100 programme right away.

You actually can still apply to Medicine, so you should! And if your school won't give you a Biology predicted grade, not to worry - just get your A and take a gap year. Honestly, no biggie. No one will care or notice. Other options are available to you, but they aren't as neat or simple as getting in via the standard route. They also aren't the maligned, near-impossible things they are often painted to be, but they are more complicated and have all sort of headaches and complications. Nothing that can't be fixed by effort, understanding the entry requirements to apply strategically to suit your strengths and lots of will and stubborness, but it's best to avoid these things altogether and get in via A100

I wish you all the best
(edited 1 year ago)
I second this. The ideal thing is to get in directly via the A100 course. As someone whose stupid decisions have led me to have very little choice but to attempt the nontraditional ways of getting into Medicine, I can only reccomend you try to get in a A100 programme right away.

You actually can still apply to Medicine, so you should! And if your school won't give you a Biology predicted grade, not to worry - just get your A and take a gap year. Honestly, no biggie. No one will care or notice. Other options are available to you, but they aren't as neat or simple as getting in via the standard route. They also aren't the maligned, near-impossible things they are often painted to be, but they are more complicated and have all sort of headaches and complications. Nothing that can't be fixed by effort, understanding the entry requirements to apply strategically to suit your strengths and lots of will and stubborness, but it's best to avoid these things altogether and get in via A100

I wish you all the best

My dad doesnt like the idea of a gap year he wants me to definitely have a place at uni whether i do medicine or not - he told me to go on in biomed instead if i cant do medicne. So im in a tight position with my parents ,school and myself.

Also how was ur journey into medicine like what kind of routes did u need to take?

Also thanks for ur advice it was very helpful.

Is there any way to apply on ucas without a predicted grade?
(edited 1 year ago)
My dad doesnt like the idea of a gap year he wants me to definitely have a place at uni whether i do medicine or not - he told me to go on in biomed instead if i cant do medicne. So im in a tight position with my parents ,school and myself.

Also how was ur journey into medicine like what kind of routes did u need to take?

Also thanks for ur advice it was very helpful.

I can only imagine what a complicated situation it must be and I'm sorry. The only thing I can tell you is that it's your life and you should do what you think best, not what your dad thinks best.

My journey into Medicine is... ongoing! I've had two moments where I just had to really stop and consider my options. I'm aiming at doing Graduate Entry Medicine, mostly out of sheer stupidity rather than anything else. I truly haven't made it easy for myself but it is what it is. I've been doing my homework to make sure I can maximise my chances of success and to make sure I don't make any more mistakes. I just can't make any mistake at all. It's the last chance saloon. It's not a comfortable situation to be in and everything is harder. It's not impossible but it's a place that you ideally want to avoid so, please, try to avoid the need of alternative routes altogether.
I can only imagine what a complicated situation it must be and I'm sorry. The only thing I can tell you is that it's your life and you should do what you think best, not what your dad thinks best.

My journey into Medicine is... ongoing! I've had two moments where I just had to really stop and consider my options. I'm aiming at doing Graduate Entry Medicine, mostly out of sheer stupidity rather than anything else. I truly haven't made it easy for myself but it is what it is. I've been doing my homework to make sure I can maximise my chances of success and to make sure I don't make any more mistakes. I just can't make any mistake at all. It's the last chance saloon. It's not a comfortable situation to be in and everything is harder. It's not impossible but it's a place that you ideally want to avoid so, please, try to avoid the need of alternative routes altogether.

Hopefully you will be successful, and get a place.

I know that i have the option of foundation year medicine if things don't work out. However the foundation years are limited - they still require bio or chem or either both. It wouldve been better if the foundation accepted pupils that have different set of subjects.
Time is really going so fast and its hard to make complicated decisions so quickly. But hopefully ill figure things out.

Also i know that theres graduate entry medicine- which is a separate programme. I know that some universities allow graduates into normal entry medicine and they require a life science degree - i know its still competitive but do the univeristies like have a limited amount of graduates that they can take. Because i know a lot of people that couldn't get into medicine and they had to do get graduated then they managed to get a place at a medical school.
All i know is for definite from my personal situration and problem i might end up going down the graduate entry route.
Also is there a limited amount of time you can aplly for medicine at a university - because some people apply every year and its hectic because they still dont get a place
(edited 1 year ago)
Hopefully you will be successful, and get a place.

I know that i have the option of foundation year medicine if things don't work out. However the foundation years are limited - they still require bio or chem or either both. It wouldve been better if the foundation accepted pupils that have different set of subjects.
Time is really going so fast and its hard to make complicated decisions so quickly. But hopefully ill figure things out.

Also i know that theres graduate entry medicine- which is a separate programme. I know that some universities allow graduates into normal entry medicine and they require a life science degree - i know its still competitive but do the univeristies like have a limited amount of graduates that they can take. Because i know a lot of people that couldn't get into medicine and they had to do get graduated then they managed to get a place at a medical school.
All i know is for definite from my personal situration and problem i might end up going down the graduate entry route.
Also is there a limited amount of time you can aplly for medicine at a university - because some people apply every year and its hectic because they still dont get a place

As pointed out above, you can apply to Newcastle A100 and Manchester A104 with your current school subjects. More if someone will predict you an A for biology.
GEM courses generally need around 3000 UCAT, so you could sit it this year to see how you are scoring, If >3000 then GEM is a more realistic option, but they still have about half the acceptance rate of standard entry medicine.
Some A100 courses cohort their grads, so have a limited number of places and different (higher) cut offs and some do not. You cannot get tuition fee funding for A100 courses as a grad, so you would need to factor in funding at least 4 years of course fees.
If you are going to go to uni this year, then you should study a course that leads to a career you would be happy in long term, as that is the most likely outcome. Do not do a subject you think will help for medicine, as it unfortunately won't.
Original post by GANFYD
As pointed out above, you can apply to Newcastle A100 and Manchester A104 with your current school subjects. More if someone will predict you an A for biology.
GEM courses generally need around 3000 UCAT, so you could sit it this year to see how you are scoring, If >3000 then GEM is a more realistic option, but they still have about half the acceptance rate of standard entry medicine.
Some A100 courses cohort their grads, so have a limited number of places and different (higher) cut offs and some do not. You cannot get tuition fee funding for A100 courses as a grad, so you would need to factor in funding at least 4 years of course fees.
If you are going to go to uni this year, then you should study a course that leads to a career you would be happy in long term, as that is the most likely outcome. Do not do a subject you think will help for medicine, as it unfortunately won't.

Okay thanks for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending