The Student Room Group

BSC vs BA in Politics at Uni

Hi, I’ve received all 5 offers for the Unis I’ve applied to. I’ve applied for politics degrees or joint degrees with politics. 3/5 courses are BSC whereas 2 are BA. Why would politics be BSC? And what is the difference between Politics BSC vs Politics BA? If I’m bad at maths and science should I consider doing the BA?
Reply 1
Hi, first of all congrats on your offers!

Generally speaking, political science is a discipline that comprises of both qualitative as well as quantiative elements and sub-disciplines and, at least in theory, a BSc should have a stronger emphasis on the latter. At the same time, I don't think those labels matter all that much since the structure at one university will probably be quite different to that at another and it all depends on how institutions choose to advertise their courses. My advice therefore is to take a very close look at the concrete course offerings because those will ultimately dictate what you will study.

Having been bad at maths at school does not mean that you should not do a degree with more quantitative modules. It should however make you think about your preferences and whether you think you would be willing to invest quite a bit of time in working with numbers and data. If you are willing to do that, you should be fine (it really isn't rocket science I guess).

Hope that was somewhat helpful. :smile:
Original post by Shaylahnaomi
Hi, I’ve received all 5 offers for the Unis I’ve applied to. I’ve applied for politics degrees or joint degrees with politics. 3/5 courses are BSC whereas 2 are BA. Why would politics be BSC? And what is the difference between Politics BSC vs Politics BA? If I’m bad at maths and science should I consider doing the BA?
Original post by Shaylahnaomi

BSc/BA is something that was decided by a committee that approved creation of a degree years or even decades ago.
it often indicates the school/faculty that the course was in at the point of being created.

It does NOT reflect the content of the course in any way. A BA politics degree can have a higher mathematical content than a BSc.

The only exception to this is when a university offers BOTH a BA and BSc in a particular subject. In that case the course content will be more quantitative for the BSc than the BA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending