The Student Room Group

PPE BA or BSc ??

I have an offer to Durham but it’s a BA course, is that going to haunt me massively when looking for work in finance? help me
Original post by help.-.
I have an offer to Durham but it’s a BA course, is that going to haunt me massively when looking for work in finance? help me

Surely, PPE is a BA course. The one at Oxford is also a BA course. BSc means Bachelor of Science

https://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/b.a.-hons.-in-philosophy-politics-economics
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Wired_1800
Surely, PPE is a BA course. The one at Oxford is also a BA course. BSc means Bachelor of Science

UCL offers it as a BSc, I was just wondering what the difference would be?
Original post by help.-.

It does not appear to be different and might just be a degree classification.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/political-science/study/undergraduate/philosophy-politics-and-economics-bsc

Oxford started the PPE course and theirs is a BA, so you should not worry about it.

Go to Durham, you will be fine.
(edited 2 years ago)
BA Vs BSc means nothing and gives no indication of the content of the course. Employers also don't care if you have a BA or BSc - in fact they usually won't even care what subject(s) your degree is in.
If economics at Exeter is a Bsc but at Durham it is a BA would it be more advantageous to choose Exeter when thinking about a degree in finance?
Original post by Rachelkaramakov
If economics at Exeter is a Bsc but at Durham it is a BA would it be more advantageous to choose Exeter when thinking about a degree in finance?

Durham is more targeted then Exeter so no. No finance company outside of ones that demand STEM are going to care what degree you did.
Original post by Wired_1800

Maybe because there may be more involvement of maths in the UCL one🤷🏾*♂️. I could be very wrong though.
Original post by help.-.

Meant to quote this one, sorry.
Original post by TheClaimsGuys
Maybe because there may be more involvement of maths in the UCL one🤷🏾*♂️. I could be very wrong though.

All Oxbridge degrees are BA. Even maths... Outside of Oxbridge a BSc classification for something like economics usually implies the course focuses more on the mathematical aspects whereas a BA suggests it focuses less on mathematics.
Original post by TheClaimsGuys

The course content does not suggest that more maths is involved than other peer universities’ offering the same course.
Original post by leviticus.
All Oxbridge degrees are BA. Even maths... Outside of Oxbridge a BSc classification for something like economics usually implies the course focuses more on the mathematical aspects whereas a BA suggests it focuses less on mathematics.

I think this is true for the unis that offer both a BA and BSc in Economics. For uni like Durham, which only offers a BA, the content should be similar to a BSc in other unis but applicants should always check the content of each module
Original post by leviticus.

😯 ohhh
Original post by XanaXoid
I think this is true for the unis that offer both a BA and BSc in Economics. For uni like Durham, which only offers a BA, the content should be similar to a BSc in other unis but applicants should always check the content of each module

This is the correct advice.

There's only a meaningful difference when a university offers both a BA and a BSc. If just a BA is offered then this doesn't mean it's any less valuable or mathematical than a BSc. You have to think of it as if they only offer one of the two then it's simply an economics course, the BA/BSc distinction doesn't matter.

As others have stated, Cambridge's economics course is a BA and is the most mathematical straight economics degree in Europe, the BA/BSc distinction really doesn't make a difference unless both are offered at the same uni.
Reply 14
Original post by help.-.

the difference is the level of maths ( econometrics) in the economics courses
Original post by Simba2012
the difference is the level of maths ( econometrics) in the economics courses

depends if they offer both BA and BSc at the uni. Most degrees involving economics will make you take econometrics modules unless they have the option for you to pick a BA over a BSc in which case it may by optional.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending