The Student Room Group

LSE financial help and living costs

I have a conditional undergraduate place but I’m calculating rent and the cheapest option is £8.5K but my preferred accommodation qualities are £12.6K (an ensuite and private room because I’m a very hygienic person and honestly I just want my own space if you know what I mean? I want to know that I’ll be coming home to a clear room and as a girl idk how comfortable I’d feel living with strangers especially males). I might be able to compromise on the ensuite but I’d rather not.
Please can someone explain what financial
Support is available for home students living outside of London because idk anyone in person I could ask. I’m aware of the accommodation bursary but none of the accommodation sites that are available are the ones that are eligible for the bursary and idk what to do because I need to cover rent, travel cost, food, and going out (on occasion)
If u can’t afford it’s a compromise u have to make to live in London or go to a uni outside of it and have an en-suite. Shared bathrooms aren’t horrific as they’re usually cleaned weekly
Original post by sciencegcsesss
I have a conditional undergraduate place but I’m calculating rent and the cheapest option is £8.5K but my preferred accommodation qualities are £12.6K (an ensuite and private room because I’m a very hygienic person and honestly I just want my own space if you know what I mean? I want to know that I’ll be coming home to a clear room and as a girl idk how comfortable I’d feel living with strangers especially males). I might be able to compromise on the ensuite but I’d rather not.
Please can someone explain what financial
Support is available for home students living outside of London because idk anyone in person I could ask. I’m aware of the accommodation bursary but none of the accommodation sites that are available are the ones that are eligible for the bursary and idk what to do because I need to cover rent, travel cost, food, and going out (on occasion)

What length of contract is that?
Original post by ageshallnot
What length of contract is that?

Original post by bloograpefroot
If u can’t afford it’s a compromise u have to make to live in London or go to a uni outside of it and have an en-suite. Shared bathrooms aren’t horrific as they’re usually cleaned weekly

Yes I think after looking at what is available I will have to compromise on an ensuite… do you know if LSE does financial aid though?

As above, you can't always have everything you want, leading towards some kind of compromise.
As above, you can't always have everything you want, leading towards some kind of compromise.

Okay thanks. Do you know of any LSE financial aid to help with living costs for other things because London is especially high for rent especially with inflation and what not
And I know I need to compromise but some of the cheapest one just looks so tiny and depressing😭 like it’s the 3 best uni in the UK and that’s the sort of accommodation??? I don’t want to sound snobby or ungrateful or anything but dyk what I mean???
(edited 1 year ago)
Okay thanks. Do you know of any LSE financial aid to help with living costs for other things because London is especially high for rent especially with inflation and what not
And I know I need to compromise but some of the cheapest one just looks so tiny and depressing😭 like it’s the 3 best uni in the UK and that’s the sort of accommodation??? I don’t want to sound snobby or ungrateful or anything but dyk what I mean???

No I don't I'm afraid. I live in London so I know all about the costs! Consider getting a part time job, something that should be easy here.

I haven't looked at the LSE accommodation, but I'd say that would be the least of my concerns. The teaching, friends the general.social situation would matter much more than my room to me.
No I don't I'm afraid. I live in London so I know all about the costs! Consider getting a part time job, something that should be easy here.

I haven't looked at the LSE accommodation, but I'd say that would be the least of my concerns. The teaching, friends the general.social situation would matter much more than my room to me.

Oh okay thanks. Do you mind if I ask you questions about living in London? 1) would you recommend using the bus or the underground to travel to places? 2) i will most likely be catered but which shops would you recommend to visit for food (in terms of the quality of food and the price and other things), like are big supermarkets better than local food markets? 3) are crime/safety/tourist scams a big issue in London?
1) The bus is generally cheaper but usually takes longer. You need to look at the actual routes.

2) Lidl and Aldi are the cheapest supermarkets. If you can find proper markets selling fruit and veg that will be both cheaper and better quality. The same is often the case for the produce sold at local supermarkets, even if their other goods cost more.

3) Never had a problem. Walk confidently and with purpose even if you don't know where you're going!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending